Page 91 of 175 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Site Supporter
    Finally deadlifted 405 this week. It's not an insane number, but it's something I have been working on for a very long time. There was mental block, and I was able to overcome it and get the job done.

Today I squatted one set of 275 x 20 reps.

At 5ft 4in, and 180 pounds, I am ok with those. I still want to get a little braver and go for 315 x 20 on squats.

How's everyone else doing right now?

I haven't lifted in about a week and a half. I was down for some sickness, and now have guests staying with me. I definitely miss it. I was plateau'd too. Makes coming back harder.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I haven't lifted in about a week and a half. I was down for some sickness, and now have guests staying with me. I definitely miss it. I was plateau'd too. Makes coming back harder.
    Sometimes a forced break is not a bad thing. It may allow you to come back refreshed and stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Today I squatted one set of 275 x 20 reps.

At 5ft 4in, and 180 pounds, I am ok with those. I still want to get a little braver and go for 315 x 20 on squats.
    For 20? OMG that sounds miserable!!!

Keep up the good work.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    For 20? OMG that sounds miserable!!!

Keep up the good work.
    I know I didn't hit perfect depth or form, but I did knock out a set of 185 x 50 on squats today. It was one of the least enjoyable things I have done in the weight room.

How are your other lifts going?

Another milestone.
    Body weight squat for one set of 5. 287 lb at 6’9”
    I have this habit of getting to BW, going ten pounds over, and tweaking my back. Like every six months. Just did it again, finally feel better.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I know I didn't hit perfect depth or form, but I did knock out a set of 185 x 50 on squats today. It was one of the least enjoyable things I have done in the weight room.
    But why would you do that to yourself?? [/rhetorical sarcasm]
    How are your other lifts going?
    Slow, but progressing. Better if I do my part eating and sleeping.

DL in the high 320's, Press in the 120's, BP in the 180's.

I'm on a Starting Strength affiliate gym running a linear progression model that's scaled back for seniors. Only 2 workouts per week, and one top set per movement instead of three. Unfortunately the PR and BP only get hit once a week each, so they're progressing slower than I'd like, but it works around my busy schedule.

Cheers,
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I have this habit of getting to BW, going ten pounds over, and tweaking my back. Like every six months. Just did it again, finally feel better.
    Full on back tweak, or sciatic nerve pain?
    David S.

Since I finally purchased weights for at home during quarantine, I've been running Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 FSL template. I chose the option he describes in his latest book (Forever 5/3/1) as the "Harden the F*** Up" option, with the back off sets turned into a single widowmaker set of 20, attempted as quickly as possible. Nothing makes your body feel like you are suffocating from lack of oxygen quite like a set of 20 heavy deadlifts. It's awesome.

Full on back tweak, or sciatic nerve pain?
    Neither, I shouldn't act like it's a big deal. It's a line of flash pain across my back 3" under my shoulder blades; it's always related to losing my balance a little bit with the weight on my shoulders. It passes.

User Tag List