Page 82 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Just hit a couple early landmarks this morning.

225x5 squat and 260x5 (body weight) deadlift today on the Starting Strength program.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbonez View Post
    So I compete in the sport of weightlifting, also known as Olympic Weightlifting. My most recent competition was in mid-December. I went 6/6 and PR’d my snatch and clean & jerk. I also qualified for the American Open Series as a 73kg Masters (35-39) and plan on competing at AO2 in late-June. I’ve been weight training since early 2014 including learning the olympic lifts. It wasn’t until March 2019 that I actually started training specifically for Olympic Weightlifting and got a coach. I have multiple competing interests (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, gymnastics/bodyweight, olympic weightlifting) so it makes it difficult to prioritize sometimes.

Pics are stills taken from video that my fiancée recorded. Snatch PR was 73kg/161# and C&J PR was 91kg/200#. Bodyweight was 70.5kg/155#

SNATCH
    Attachment 47342
    Attachment 47343
    Attachment 47344

CLEAN & JERK (I power/squat jerk; it’s how I learned and I never bothered with split jerking)
    Attachment 47345
    Attachment 47346
    Attachment 47350
    Attachment 47348
    Attachment 47349
    Nice pics. It’s amazing how once you get good at something the skills of all the photographers seem to get much better [emoji3]

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbonez View Post
    So I compete in the sport of weightlifting, also known as Olympic Weightlifting. My most recent competition was in mid-December. I went 6/6 and PR’d my snatch and clean & jerk. I also qualified for the American Open Series as a 73kg Masters (35-39) and plan on competing at AO2 in late-June. I’ve been weight training since early 2014 including learning the olympic lifts. It wasn’t until March 2019 that I actually started training specifically for Olympic Weightlifting and got a coach. I have multiple competing interests (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, gymnastics/bodyweight, olympic weightlifting
    That is great. I really feel weightlifting is the ultimate of the strength sports. It seems very well rounded.

Powerlifters are absolutely the strongest humans around. But can be inflexible and, well, fat. If they also do “Worlds Strongest Man” type events, they can actually be pretty cardio fit as lifting a bunch of heavy things fast places major demands on heart. But usually they get out of breath going up stairs. I don’t disrespect the work it takes to be great at the sport, it’s just not for me.

Olympic lifters compete in weight classes in lifts that are power centric and require good flexibility. They put out the most power of any athlete including Olympic sprinters. But only for a fraction of a second. Usually Weightlifters are muscular but lean. Almost swimmer/water polo bodies except with leg muscles. I think they have the best physiques in strength sport world. I am not sure why, but maybe the fact they compete in weight classes like
    Boxers and any excess fat isn’t helping except in the highest class.

Body builders are the weakest, with probably less muscle than powerlifters, but you can see every muscle due to the incredible leanness required. I don’t care for their physique, but it does take an incredible amount of work and dedication like all high end athletics. Also can suffer from flexibility issues.

If I could do it over I would have loved to try weightlifting as a teen. Starting in my late 40s, I can’t seem to achieve the flexibility to overhead squat and doubt I ever will. And that movement is essential to weightlifting, so I just focus on compound lifts and stand here in awe of anyone who can snatch their
    bodyweight.

I got some old stuff from facebook marketplace. Power rack, bar, a tree, and some weight.

I screwed around for 4 weeks just learning a little bit.
    I did a 5/3/1 cycle without the overhead press.
    I'm now on my second cycle of a 5/3/1 routine with overhead press.

I'm doing the "Not doing jack" version. I'm aware that it isn't intended to be a routine but rather for when you need a rest, etc. Honestly I'm pressed for time to get any lifting at all, so I picked something simple that was fast to accomplish. I stretch. I review stronglifts pages on form to improve my form as I go.

I've stayed exactly the same body weight. My chest and shoulders look bigger. My abs are toning. My arms are bigger. I feel stronger. I have more stamina. I sleep better. I feel more confident. Sometimes I'm sore, but it's a good sore. An accomplished one.

I'm not up to my body weight on any lifts yet, and I'm happy to be progressing slow. I cant afford injury and am being careful. I enjoy seeing new weight numbers in my notebook, a d checking how many reps I did with a given weight last cycle vs this cycle.

I'm never going to compete or anything crazy, but I'm happy to be more in shape.

-Cory

Site Supporter
    Squatted 315 last night for 1 rep. After my minor injury I’m slowly working up to heavier weights.

There is still a lot of tightness in my abductor, but it’s getting better. Last night I wanted to drop down and do hi rep sets but I’m trying to be smart about my recovery and held off on that.

It feels like my abductor magnus (that’s my best guess as to location) is unreasonably tight and sore.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 01-18-2020 at 03:48 PM.

Site Supporter
    I did some stiff legged dead lifts to night. Just a few reps working up to 315 x 1. My abductor was flaring up.

This is after taking a couple of weeks off and then going really easy upon returning to lifting. I am not sure what my plan of action is to work on this problem. Lot's of information I am reviewing.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 01-19-2020 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Squatted 315 last night for 1 rep. After my minor injury I’m slowly working up to heavier weights.

There is still a lot of tightness in my abductor, but it’s getting better. Last night I wanted to drop down and do hi rep sets but I’m trying to be smart about my recovery and held off on that.

It feels like my abductor magnus (that’s my best guess as to location) is unreasonably tight and sore.
    If it is your adductor magnus, I doubt you have a squatting problem. The clue being that you went hiking, then you squatted, then you had a problem. It doesn't sound like you had previous problems just squatting. Squatting might be the straw the camels back, but hiking was the more likely the initial overload.

Shitty stick figure time.

Name:  3864A4F5-42F5-4006-8E5D-C19DE4F68346.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  33.5 KB

If you look up hip abduction and adduction, you get some useless picture like 1) where it shows someone doing scissors kicks.
    What your hip abductors and adductors do in their primary function is shift your hips left and right like 2). The do this by you aBductors pulling the outside of your knee up towards the hip and the aDductors work by pulling the inside of your knee towards you taint like 3). If you have a hip shift like 4) that could be a joint mobility issue or an imbalance in the medial glutes. Muscle can pull (contract) and resist pulling (elongation), they never push. As you lower yourself in the squat your aBductors, mainly the medial glutes, need to resist elongation at the same rate, otherwise one side collapses and the aDductor has to pull to shift your hips back under center. (If you have the knee dip/knee valgus/stanky legs when you squat that's you aDductors doing on the stability work on the hips with no help from the glutes. They should be about equally sore.)

For you adductor to hurt from squatting, it most likely had to do with it pulling in place of a weak glute. If you didn't have problems in the past, I don't think you need to worry about in the future. Let it heal and don't squat after hiking.

Look at 5), keep this in mind about hiking. If you're on uneven ground and you don't want you hips to shift to the left, because you head would go to the right, you'd fall to your right and look like a fucking idiot. Muscles can only pull or resist pulling with the foot planted on the ground. Your right adductors do all the work pulling. If you out hiking, your adductors will do a lot of work on uneven terrain.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    That is great. I really feel weightlifting is the ultimate of the strength sports. It seems very well rounded.

Powerlifters are absolutely the strongest humans around. But can be inflexible and, well, fat. If they also do “Worlds Strongest Man” type events, they can actually be pretty cardio fit as lifting a bunch of heavy things fast places major demands on heart. But usually they get out of breath going up stairs. I don’t disrespect the work it takes to be great at the sport, it’s just not for me.

Olympic lifters compete in weight classes in lifts that are power centric and require good flexibility. They put out the most power of any athlete including Olympic sprinters. But only for a fraction of a second. Usually Weightlifters are muscular but lean. Almost swimmer/water polo bodies except with leg muscles. I think they have the best physiques in strength sport world. I am not sure why, but maybe the fact they compete in weight classes like
    Boxers and any excess fat isn’t helping except in the highest class.

Body builders are the weakest, with probably less muscle than powerlifters, but you can see every muscle due to the incredible leanness required. I don’t care for their physique, but it does take an incredible amount of work and dedication like all high end athletics. Also can suffer from flexibility issues.

If I could do it over I would have loved to try weightlifting as a teen. Starting in my late 40s, I can’t seem to achieve the flexibility to overhead squat and doubt I ever will. And that movement is essential to weightlifting, so I just focus on compound lifts and stand here in awe of anyone who can snatch their
    bodyweight.
    I really do appreciate Olympic Weightlifting. I like the power generation aspect to the sport and the lifts. It’s a pretty awesome expression of human movement and fluidity. Taking a weight from the floor and putting it overhead in one or two movements is pretty cool. Powerlifting and Bodybuilding have their places too. There is something to be said about the absolute strength that powerlifting builds, and bodybuilding (really hypertrophy training) done right is great for injury prevention, strengthening connective tissue, and balancing out the body.

All three have their limitations, however. They only train sagittal plane movements (CrossFit is the same too), and humans do more than just move in the sagittal plane. That’s part of the reason why I supplement my Olympic Weightlifting with bodyweight/gymnastics, ground based animal movements/flow, and steel mace/kettlebells. They don’t take that much time and those disciplines effectively train frontal and transverse plane movements more-so than with a barbell. Combining all that stuff more or less helps keep me pretty healthy and works great for BJJ or any martial art... or life in general.

In the end, though, throwing weight overhead is pretty damn cool.

I would love to learn Olympic weightlifting but it takes time, dedication and practice to even be able to do the movements safely.

For most of us, it is faster, safer and "apeman strong" to do the simpler, less dynamic exercises. Add to that that I have no suitable area in my home to actually drop loaded bars..

User Tag List