Page 79 of 173 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What does your squat routine look like?
    I squat 2xs a week still (press 2xs, deadlift 1), one day is heavy, the 2nd is built into conditioning and is generally front squats no heavier than 205. I have a shoulder issue (loss of mobility) so heavy front squats are a no go these days

This week my heavy back squat was:

135 x 8 for 2 sets (takes me a minute to warm up back squats)
    185 x 4
    225 x 3
    275 x 1
    315 x 1
    335 x 6
    265 x 10 for 3 sets (60sec rest between sets)

2 times a week I do weighted GHR and weighted lunges. My glutes and hams used to be pretty weak so this is something I’ve always done.

Also, I try to wave intensity. For me (and most people once you’re beyond beginner strength levels) fatigue management is very important. The amount of strain placed on your CNS and frame doing near 3 or 5 rep maxes for multiple sets on your major lifts is VERY taxing. I still deload every 4th week and start a new wave. If I’m doing heavy deads like this week, my back squat won’t be at the same intensity.

I’m not completely knocking linear programs, a lot of people, myself included, get very strong on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Pushed myself too hard today. Not fully recovered from Saturday’s lift, and not properly hydrated.

On the way home from the gym I puked all over myself. Yippee....

This is only tangentially related to the thread but since this is the most active thread on physical conditioning, I figured to drop it here.

I'm pretty sure I love everything about this.

https://mtntactical.com/knowledge/mi...raining-cycle/

"The ability to achieve the same fitness improvements while completing 1/3 less overall training volume is a win/win for the athlete. He or she has to dedicate less time to fitness training, and the lower volume decreases the impact on the athlete’s body in the short and long term."
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    In around one hour I did the following

Squats 4x8- 225, 245, 275, 295
    OHP 4x8- 85, 95, 100, 95- The truth is 4 x 8 is not really accurate for this. It started out that way but going immediately from squats to the OHP was tough. Additional I am not certain I was fully recovered from my Saturday workout. Maybe, but idk.
    Bench 4x8- 135, 150, 155, and then two sets of 4 with 155 again.
    Deadlift 4x8- 225, 245, 275, 295

I was trying to blow through this workout before my shift started. This meant I needed to go lighter on the weight and nto rest as much as I would like. Even going lighter and not strictly following 4x8, by the end of it I was SPENT. My shirt looked like I had been running it was so soaked with sweat.

Site Supporter
    @Hizzie @Duke and all others who enjoy squatting. Who is going to do this to represent PF?

@TheNewbie that is insane strength and cardio. At my best I’ve hit 405x5 and 315x25.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    @TheNewbie that is insane strength and cardio. At my best I’ve hit 405x5 and 315x25.

315 x 25 is pretty damn good! How'd you feel after that?

315 x 25 is pretty damn good! How'd you feel after that?
    Like I ran a race. Those workouts were insane. I look back at my old logs on BB.com and the crazy 5/3/1 stuff I did after I moved to Texas and still don’t quite know how I managed to do all that. Some of the weights and volumes look insane.
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Like I ran a race. Those workouts were insane. I look back at my old logs on BB.com and the crazy 5/3/1 stuff I did after I moved to Texas and still don’t quite know how I managed to do all that. Some of the weights and volumes look insane.
    Have any copies of them?

Yesterday on squats I did a couple of singles of 325, then dropped down and did 225 x 20 and 135 x 20.

Nothing compared to what you did, but after working up to 325 and then doing a couple of 20 reps sets, I felt "different".
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 11-29-2019 at 12:20 AM.

Have any copies of them?

Yesterday on squats I did a couple of singles of 325, then dropped down and did 225 x 20 and 135 x 20.

Nothing compared to what you did, but after working up to 325 and then doing a couple of 20 reps sets, I felt "different".
    Starting Strength
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=895397

Bill Starr 5x5
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=989516

WS4SB
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2237401

My Wendler 5/3/1 stuff is only in my physical journals. I was doing his Boring But Big assistance template. Huge volume.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List