Page 72 of 175 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Oh, in other cool but not as cool as deadlifting 400 would have been, I can now max out the seated leg press machine at 335 for 3 sets of 15 with ease as when you have a bum shoulder, every day is leg day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by _JD_ View Post
    2. Flat shoes. Holy stuff, what a difference for squatting and deadlifts.
    For squats at least, try going down to just socks. Somehow feeling the ground with your feet makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    For squats at least, try going down to just socks. Somehow feeling the ground with your feet makes a difference.
    I saw a thing somewhere about spraying some type of aerosol locktite inside your shoe to keep your feet from sliding around.

It was explained, but alas I am hearing impaired and there were no captions (so it must've been on instagram) so I couldn't tell if it was a joke or not. But it seems viable... Sorta.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    Is it possible to lose body fat without losing strength? I have put on a little too much belly fat.

Took two weeks off from the gym (had a suspicious injury-like pain in my hip/butt area that I wanted to rest), been back at it for a week. Dropped down quite a bit in numbers just to be safe, but in doing so I was able to better understand what I've been doing improperly. So, my notes to myself:

1) On squats:

Getting tight under the bar before you take the weight of the bar on your back. Also, closer hand grip helps tighten your back. If you're only tight across the traps and shoulders, re-rack and try again. Yesterday's workout had me feeling my erector spinae firing up as I took the bar off the pins.

2) Deadlifts:

Feet closer together, toes pointed more outward. Remember to push the knees out (but don't bend the arms), get tight in the back, and compress that core! Movement starts at the hips not the knees! Also, going back down, movement starts at the hips not at the knees!

I'm not sure why, but I suck at bench presses. I see dudes bench pressing what I squat and am embarrassed I'm only doing 160#. I think I've got decent technique: I can feel my lats assisting. Only thing I forget sometimes is the leg drive from the floor. I have long arms which may be why my numbers are low, but I've been doing tricep dips during lunch/break at work in hopes that it will help my bench.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Is it possible to lose body fat without losing strength? I have put on a little too much belly fat.
    This is addressed at length in Lyle McDonald's blog: https://bodyrecomposition.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    In general the belief is that one cannot loose fat without loosing muscle. Training skews the loss to favor adipose tissue vs. muscle tissue when a calorie deficit is in play. Factors that shift the scale between muscle vs. fat loss include the level of one's training experience. An untrained person who starts training will favor maintaining or gaining muscle mass while shedding fat. There are no guarantees. The individual's level of fitness, nutrition, calorie intake and quality of training all will factor into the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    I'm not sure why, but I suck at bench presses. I see dudes bench pressing what I squat and am embarrassed I'm only doing 160#. I think I've got decent technique: I can feel my lats assisting. Only thing I forget sometimes is the leg drive from the floor. I have long arms which may be why my numbers are low, but I've been doing tricep dips during lunch/break at work in hopes that it will help my bench.
    https://www.strongerbyscience.com/la...ch-ado-little/

I agree with this article, and don't think that lats play any role in benching unless you're using a bench shirt. IMO if you're using your lats, you're technique probably isn't very good. If you’re using a bench shirt and don’t use you lats to tuck your elbows, you’ll drop the bar on your face. In a raw bench, if you have a decent setup and bar path your elbows will tuck enough naturally (ie they gonna do what they gonna do, and it’s good enough).

Out of the three power lifts, the bench is the easiest to manipulate. Playing around with Back arch, grip width, and belly bounce can dramatically effect the amount of weight you’re lifting. I wouldn’t worry too much about what others are doing without taking a good look at what they are doing.

160 is not a bad bench for a beginning lifter. Stick with it and it’ll get better.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Only time I really notice the lats kick in is in the bottom of the press, when I'm turning my elbows in and starting to push. Once the press has been completed and my arms are straight and my elbows rotated, I notice the lats are tense. In between, I got nothing (that I'm noticing).

Site Supporter
    These numbers are as best I can remember them.

Squats Sunday. 135x10, 225x10, 235x10, 245x10, 260x10, 275x10
    Dead lifts last night . 135x10, 225x10, 245x10, 265x10, 275x10, 295x10.

Also did 6x10 of behind the neck presses and bench press.

I’m rather sore today. Lol

User Tag List