Page 57 of 175 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Slowly but making progress. I'm looking for advice & tips:

5/3/19 was my first day back in the gym for barbell work. Last time I touched a barbell would've been 2013. Since then I've been using bodyweight and kettlebells (plus material handling at work: round bar, pipe, angle iron, sheetmetal, etc). Starting Strength is the routine I'm trying: https://startingstrength.com/get-started/programs

1st day in did:
    200 with squats with questionable form. Watched some how-to's by Alan Thrall/Untamed Strength and I think my form is a lot better.
    145 bench (I'm doing incline, but wondering if I should be flat benching).
    DL was maybe 205 (had 170# in plates on the bar). The bar on the DL platform was shorter and felt lighter, so I can't say it was a 45# bar.
    Overhead press: 100
    Bent row: 145

5 workouts later I'm at
    Squat: 205 (I deloaded to 185 after that first session)
    OHP: 110
    Bent row: 160
    DL: 225 (with the standard 7' bar)

I usually finish my workouts with some 70# 2-hand kettlebell swings or farmer's walks using a 52# + 35# in one hand.

Still doing keto, and training fasted with 10g BCAA + 5g creatine + 15 oz black coffee pre workout. The goal is to get stronger, without adding mass.

what rep range are you at?

Had some personal stress in my life and noticed I increased the booze some. Decided to remedy that by doing two a day work outs 6 days a week for a month. Punishing myself for falling into the old trend of feeling sorry for myself

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post

Had some personal stress in my life and noticed I increased the booze some. Decided to remedy that by doing two a day work outs 6 days a week for a month. Punishing myself for falling into the old trend of feeling sorry for myself
    Good on you for seeing the problem and turning it into something productive. Your workouts are impressive already, but two a days will be killer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Did you find 20 rep squats useful?
    As a personal challenge yes, for strength not really. I'm not into body building, and I'm not really knowledgeable about it, but I don't think being sore for five days is anymore conducive to body building than powerlifting. On Friday after posting, I did 295 for 27 with an SSB, and was using hands on the rack to cheat out reps and not claiming that I made depth on anything past 12.....still sore. I had to take a roadtrip on Sunday, and I had to stop every hour to get out and walk around. I think I could have done 295 x 10 for 3 sets (with plenty of rest in between)Friday and Sunday and be ready to go again on Tuesday. I'd be beat up, but still functioning. I have personal sense of accomplishment, but I'm not doing that again any time soon.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

How’s KETO going?

Impressive work !
    Been on it since the middle of January. Going well. 255 to 214 (as of this morning) while not losing any lean body mass. Started kettlebells 12 weeks ago, and now on Starting Strength. No performance issues, except I'm pretty whupped about an hour after my workout. Not sure if it's the lack of food, the post workout protein shake hitting my system, or if it's a "drained battery". Probably not a drained battery because after another hour, I'm feeling pretty good again.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post

Program as outlined has you doing 3x5 with 1x5 for deadlift + 2x8 for dips & pull ups.

Good on you for not slipping into booze. My father drinks a lot now and it sucks... wish I had my dad back.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Been on it since the middle of January. Going well. 255 to 214 (as of this morning) while not losing any lean body mass. Started kettlebells 12 weeks ago, and now on Starting Strength. No performance issues, except I'm pretty whupped about an hour after my workout. Not sure if it's the lack of food, the post workout protein shake hitting my system, or if it's a "drained battery". Probably not a drained battery because after another hour, I'm feeling pretty good again.

Program as outlined has you doing 3x5 with 1x5 for deadlift + 2x8 for dips & pull ups.

Good on you for not slipping into booze. My father drinks a lot now and it sucks... wish I had my dad back.
    Sorry to hear that man. I have a couple friends who are functioning alcoholics, hard to watch.

Site Supporter

Starting Strength increased my deadlift and squat. My bench has been stagnant for 3 years, mainly because I’m too scared to push it without a spotter. My previous spotter switched jobs. Since we worked out at work, it means I’m solo.

I really need to get over to the SS gym in Wichita Falls. It’s not that far for me, and I love characters. Mark Rippitoe seems like one for sure.

Yiur weight loss is impressive.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 05-14-2019 at 09:09 AM.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    This may have been mentioned in the prior 57 pages, but Starting Strength has a YouTube channel with a lot of great videos on it. I also found the videos they did with Art of Manliness to be informative.

Hopefully, both of those links work....
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Starting Strength increased my deadlift and squat. My bench has been stagnant for 3 years, mainly because I’m too scared to push it without a spotter. My previous spotter switched jobs. Since we worked out at work, it means I’m solo.
    I know money for power racks doesn't grow on trees, but now that I have a power rack there's no way that I'd bench outside of a power rack with safety pins in place. There are a lot of things a good spotter can do for you, but the greatest spotter isn't nearly as reliable at stopping a dropped barbell as safeties.

Rippetoe can probably refer you to a local (Wichita Falls) welder that can build you a great rack for a decent price. Even if you have to put it in the work gym, it's money well spent.

“Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general."
    -Rippetoe

https://sandtonchronicle.co.za/22637...frica-sandton/

https://imgur.com/gallery/6PHUvpb

Here are two 70+ year old weightlifters taking shot that would put most people in their age bracket in the hospital or morgue. Arnold took a flying kick to the back and was out later in the day greeting fans. Louis Simmons get knocked down Dave Hoff (who is retarded gorilla strong) and gets right back up.

Mental toughness, I would argue, is every bit as important in weathering the storm. But totally agree that being armored is a big advantage. I'm just a runt at 175 lbs but know for a fact that what strength I have has been immeasurably helpful in virtually every aspect of life.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List