Page 53 of 175 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    The late Poliquin's infamous German Volume Training. It's a day late, but be careful with the Mexican food, you may not be able to sit on a toilet and take a crap.

Yea I’m feeling it today, but I’m dreading tomorrow. Always seems like the 2nd post workout day is the worst for me.

What kind of program are you doing now?

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    Do any of you have any knee pain and still squat or deadlift?

I work on my feet all day and had random knee pain hit me the other day.

I'm pretty conscious of technique when I lift. Thanks
    Yes.

I've a had a few run ins with patellar tendonitis and ITBS. Typically it flares up when I ramp up running or rucking mileage took quickly or if I'm not stretching regularly. My PT said the root cause for my original case was a muscular imbalance in my quads. The outside of my leg was much stronger than the inside and tended to pull the patella unevenly to one side when flexing(or running).

These days it's less of an issue. I pay close attention to my form when lifting and spend at least 15 minutes stretching my quads, hamstrings, hips, etc before any workout. I'm also doing yoga once a week.

If you continue to have pain I'd say you should consult a PT to get you on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Yea I’m feeling it today, but I’m dreading tomorrow. Always seems like the 2nd post workout day is the worst for me.

What kind of program are you doing now?
    The plan is to run 5/3/1 for 16 cycles (1 down 15 to go), with the 5 rep program. There's no max effort on the last set, do 5 reps and stop. No follow up sets. No deadlifting, squat an extra time. Minimal assistance work, and grip and mace training when possible throughout the week. 3 sets of pullups, dips and KB swings daily. In a couple months I might work deadlifts back in but I'm going to need some more bumpers, so I can drop the bar and avoid the eccentric phase. No single workout takes more than 20 minutes.

Monday
    Squat 5/5/5
    Glute Ham Raises 3 x 20

Tuesday
    Bench 5/5/5
    Barbell Rows

Thursday
    Press 5/5/5
    Sandbag and Farmer Carries

Friday
    Squat 3x10@50%
    Glute Ham Raises 3 x 20
    Last edited by txdpd; 02-18-2019 at 12:05 AM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Appreciate the tips gents.

I have decent insurance I suppose I should use it for once.

Site Supporter
    Just finished a workout that almost made me puke. Literally I had to lay down in order to not throw up. I know this would be nothing for some of you guys, but it was killer for me.

Squats:

135X10
    225X10
    235x10 (Somewhere in here I lost track of my exact weight. So I either did one of these sets twice or I did 235)
    245x10
    265x10
    270X10

Deadlifts:

135x10
    225x10
    275X10 (I had to drop weight after this. I did the set, but I knew I was burning more fuel than I had left in m
    225X10
    225X10
    225X10

That’s a lot of volume for dead lift. Make sure to stretch out!

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    so I can drop the bar and avoid the eccentric phase.

I've read this before, this is bc that is the most dangerous part of the lift right? Is it more for back protection or hernia?

Thanks!

". . . so I can drop the bar and avoid the eccentric phase."
    Everybody's body is different, but I've found slow eccentrics to be a key phase of the movement. Time Under Tension ("King TUT") and all.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Just finished a workout that almost made me puke. Literally I had to lay down in order to not throw up. I know this would be nothing for some of you guys, but it was killer for me.

Squats:

135X10
    225X10
    235x10 (Somewhere in here I lost track of my exact weight. So I either did one of these sets twice or I did 235)
    245x10
    265x10
    270X10

Deadlifts:

135x10
    225x10
    275X10 (I had to drop weight after this. I did the set, but I knew I was burning more fuel than I had left in m
    225X10
    225X10
    225X10
    Lol I can't even lift 225 for one rep dude.

I'll be able to soon though. My brother and I are trying to work through the 5/3/1 program with the "boring but big" assistance work to see what sort of strength we can build.

TL;DR that's some solid work man!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    Do any of you have any knee pain and still squat or deadlift?

I work on my feet all day and had random knee pain hit me the other day.

I'm pretty conscious of technique when I lift. Thanks
    Yes, I get knee pain from squats and sumo deadlifts (but not conventional deadlifts.) I thought it was a knee tracking issue but I've video'd myself and didn't see anything glaring.

I just came across this on my IG feed and I'm going to try this. This guy is a little bombastic with the headlines - but folks say he knows what he's talking about. He is a physical therapist that has worked with some pro teams.

(I'll save you a click. The video says to do barbell hip thrusts to activate the glutes prior to squatting. Glute activation is key to taking pressure off the patella tendon.)

I'd say that glute amnesia is real. I switched from squats to single leg lunges and immediately felt my glutes burning and they were sore the next day, which told me they weren't getting worked hard with my squats.

I've gone down the rabbit hole of youtube videos trying to 'fix' various nagging injuries. Sometimes you stumble upon the right thing and get great results. This may or may not be the fix you need.

User Tag List