Page 52 of 175 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Thank you. Didn't think of it like that.

I just didn't want to totally lose my strength.

Strength is relatively easy to maintain, and you lose it much more slowly than cardio. There have been a number of real studies (i.e. not bro science, but published peer reviewed stuff) that show that one near max session a week of low reps can maintain almost all of your current strength. Try one session a week, no longer than 30 minutes, of something along the lines of 3x3 in the important lifts (big muscle stuff like deadlifts, squats, press, etc). And then when you hit your running/endurance goals, you can shift to maintenance there, and focus back on strength. That is actually the best long term plan anyway for all of S&C.
    Last edited by Cecil Burch; 09-26-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Site Supporter
    If you are looking for a minimalist strength program, take a look at 5/3/1 or the Tactical Barbell. They both have minimalist programs that would work for you.

Something like Pavel’s Power to the People would also work as well. That involves the Deadlift and a Pressing movement 5x a week.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    If you are looking for a minimalist strength program, take a look at 5/3/1 or the Tactical Barbell. They both have minimalist programs that would work for you.

Something like Pavel’s Power to the People would also work as well. That involves the Deadlift and a Pressing movement 5x a week.
    Thank you. I've looked at those before, as recommended in this thread.

This is the first time in a long time that I have been doing cardio 5 days a week. Thank goodness tomorrow is an off day because me legs are aching.

All that to say, I have never paired a serious running program with significant weight lifting.

I'll take another look at those programs.

I want to get my 1.5 mile time under 12 minutes (love to have it around 11:30). Right now I am probably at a 13:30 1.5 mile, maybe a little better.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 09-28-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Site Supporter
    Thank you. I've looked at those before, as recommended in this thread.

This is the first time in a long time that I have been doing cardio 5 days a week. Thank goodness tomorrow is an off day because me legs are aching.

All that to say, I have never paired a serious running program with significant weight lifting.

I'll take another look at those programs.

I want to get my 1.5 mile time under 12 minutes (love to have it around 11:30). Right now I am probably at a 13:30 1.5 mile, maybe a little better.
    The 5/3/1 “Not Doing Jack Shit” template and the Tactical Barbell’s Fighter Template could suit your needs. That’s where I would start while you are focused on running. I think you could do well benching and squatting (or deadlifting) twice a week and possibly make gains.

I will dig up some numbers and send you a PM.

Site Supporter
    I am running a modified version of this template right now.

Name:  EC20A02B-88B9-464C-B655-1A7A99A8D915.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  54.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Guinnessman; 09-28-2018 at 08:06 PM.

A local college track coach has a running program for me.
    What does your track coach recommend? He might know what he's doing. I know that a lot of track coaches shy away from weights and running, because that's what they've always done.

Even if you lose a lot of strength on a cardio program you'll get it back fairly quickly. I was off for 8 months with a neck injury and did absolutely nothing, it took 3 months to ease back into the weights and get back to where I left off. When I ran the half marathon in 2012, I was off the weights for 4 months and was where I left in 2-3 weeks.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    It took me about 45 minutes, but I got 10 x 10 of 225 doing squats before my shift started. I know it's not a ton of weight, but by the end I was feeling like if I pushed myself much more I might puke.

I earned my Mexican food tonight! lol

It took me about 45 minutes, but I got 10 x 10 of 225 doing squats before my shift started. I know it's not a ton of weight, but by the end I was feeling like if I pushed myself much more I might puke.

I earned my Mexican food tonight! lol
    The late Poliquin's infamous German Volume Training. It's a day late, but be careful with the Mexican food, you may not be able to sit on a toilet and take a crap.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Do any of you have any knee pain and still squat or deadlift?

I work on my feet all day and had random knee pain hit me the other day.

I'm pretty conscious of technique when I lift. Thanks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    Do any of you have any knee pain and still squat or deadlift?

I work on my feet all day and had random knee pain hit me the other day.

I'm pretty conscious of technique when I lift. Thanks

Yes. I’m only 32, but I get it every time I run, walk a lot or do squats. I think losing 10-15 pounds would help me, along with with stretching. It’s been almost a decade since I’ve seriously stretched.

When I was doing my 10x10 of 225, about 70 reps in my knees really got tight.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 02-17-2019 at 07:08 PM.

User Tag List