Page 51 of 175 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    I am actually in my garage lifting right now. I did a few body weight sets of lunges prior to my squats; it did seem to help a bit. Hundreds of thousands of double legs sure take their toll.
    By double legs do you mean the ab exercise where you lay on your back and lift your legs together?
    Last edited by txdpd; 06-30-2018 at 04:42 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    By double legs do you mean the ab exercise where you lay on your back and lift your legs together?
    I think he means double leg takedown, the wrestling / MMA move.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Probably, on the literal side of things hundreds of thousands of leg lifts will create some seriously strong and tight hip flexors, that can cause all sorts of funky knee pain when squatting, and a good dynamic stretch like lunging can help alleviate.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Probably, on the literal side of things hundreds of thousands of leg lifts will create some seriously strong and tight hip flexors, that can cause all sorts of funky knee pain when squatting, and a good dynamic stretch like lunging can help alleviate.
    I'm just the opposite. Lunges exacerbate issues for me. I'm better off just squatting, deadlifting or doing something akin to the so-called Bulgarian split squat.

The Concept2 keeps everything greased as well...so far.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

The lunging everyday idea came from several sources, like most of my programming. A good friend of mine has been following a “squat everyday” program for almost 3yrs now. He works up to a heavy triple, double, or single back or front squat everyday, followed by a lot of lunges. I watched his general knee health improve, much to my amazement. That combined with information put out by Kelly Starret, Chris Duffin and Stan Efferding led me to give it a try (lunging). I mentioned above, it didn’t really feel “great” for the first week or so. I personally think it’s important to find a range of motion in the injured area that doesn’t hurt, and do it regularly. Our lymphatic system doesn’t have a pump, it requires movement to get blood to the area and promote healing.

My daily back and hip warm up came from Chris Duffin and Mark Philippi, has kept me pain free for over a year.

Site Supporter
    I'm doing cardio 5 days a week now (30-50 minute sessions) in order to both lose fat and get my 1.5 mile time down and increase endurance. A local college track coach has a running program for me.

What would you all recommend as a lifting program to pair with that cardio ?

I did strong lifts for a bit and increased my deadlift and squat. I would be happy just to maintain my strength.

I've dropped over 10 pounds since this summer and my gut is way smaller. Unfortunately I've lost strength too. Not a ton but a few pounds in squats and deads.

I think the cardio is screwing my leg strength up but I've got to get better cardio/endurance and still want to lose 3-5 more pounds.

Right now I'm doing chest/shoulders or tris then another day back and biceps and then another day is for squats/shoulders.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 09-25-2018 at 10:51 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I'm doing cardio 5 days a week now (30-50 minute sessions) in order to both lose fat and get my 1.5 mile time down and increase endurance. A local college track coach has a running program for me.

What would you all recommend as a lifting program to pair with that cardio ?

I did strong lifts for a bit and increased my deadlift and squat. I would be happy just to maintain my strength.

I've dropped over 10 pounds since this summer and my gut is way smaller. Unfortunately I've lost strength too. Not a ton but a few pounds in squats and deads.

I think the cardio is screwing my leg strength up but I've got to get better cardio/endurance and still want to lose 3-5 more pounds.

Right now I'm doing chest/shoulders or tris then another day back and biceps and then another day is for squats/shoulders.
    You don’t have to focus on strength and cardio at the same time. Emphasize the cardio for now, then go back to a stronger emphasis on strength when you’ve achieved the running goals you set.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    You don’t have to focus on strength and cardio at the same time. Emphasize the cardio for now, then go back to a stronger emphasis on strength when you’ve achieved the running goals you set.
    Thank you. Didn't think of it like that.

I just didn't want to totally lose my strength.

Newb, it really depends on priorities.

You can do a couple days of lifting and a couple days of cardio without having too much impact on the strength if you keep the cardio sessions relatively short and use interval training. (That's what I do now, but of course I've got a few decades on you.)

There are many roads to Dublin, as an old gentleman I know likes to say...you just have to find the one for you.

User Tag List