Page 2 of 173 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Long term?

Lift heavy. Sometimes.
    Eat clean.
    Rest.
    Don't take too many supplements - take "proven" ones if you do.
    Do cardio.
    Do abs.
    Variety is the spice of life, e.g. bench should be incline, decline, DB, BB, etc.
    Wear knee sleeves and a weight belt for heavy weights.
    Remember the power of the mind when lifting heavy.

But don't overthink it, this shit's not hard to do.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    My considerations in this regard are biased by what I do. I am a doc who sees a lot of older, old, and frankly very old folks with at least heart diseases, and often times more than heart disease. Within this group, I have a quite large cohort of people who are in their mid or late 80s or early 90s and who simply kick ass. These are the people who are/were in such a good shape that when their heart attacks happened, valves failed and electricity stopped running we went a full court press (try that in socialized medicine) and they not only survived, they regained a complete and normal function. In other words, these are the people who never lost their physical dignity to age and disease, who remain able bodied and enjoy their life literally until they drop dead. When I see a patient like that, I always ask what they did for themselves lifestyle and fitness wise that kept them so strong for decades.

Most never smoked; those who did quit early in life. Almost no one followed any specific diet but none of them is overweight; most are normal weight or just slightly above. Nobody worked nights, sucks for me. Every single one maintained a high aerobic capacity, either because of physical work or aerobic exercises. This became a way of life for them, nearly daily aerobic efforts. This implies that almost all of them managed to preserve their joints. Not a single one was a weightlifter but almost every man did some strength training or work to maintain a healthy muscle mass.

What I do for myself is an emulation of these remarkable folks. I try to go gym 7 days a week. "Try" is a key word. Sometimes it is 7, and sometimes it is none, but I'd imagine the average is 5. I try to alternate lifting and cardio, shooting for 120-150 minutes of aerobic exercise weekly. After all, my own professional society recommends 150 a week. I try to preferentially do non-impact cardio (swimming) over impact (running) for joint health. When I do cardio, I don't care about distance or speed, I care about uninterrupted time spent in my target heart rate range.
    When I lift, the last thing I am interested is muscle mass gain. I want muscle mass preservation, muscle strength, joint safety and range of motion.

I agree on creatine. I do use a bunch of protein but that's pretty much muscle mass preservation at my age. I don't claim much science behind my approach, it is just an observational data.
    Thanks for jumping in, I was hoping you would. My grandfather and father both died of heart issues within two weeks of each other. This was an eye opener for me, I quit smoking and increased my time at the gym. I try to vary my work outs quite a bit and now that I'm at the weight I wanted, I am mostly going for strength and mobility. I have outlined one of my goals, for when I lift, is to have a high heart rate. What I have been doing to achieve that is I do a chest exercise, walk directly to a back work out, and then rest 45-60 seconds. This leaves me drained and drenched by the end of the 45-60 minutes I'm in there.

I have recently read Tactical Barbell and Tactical Barbell II and was pretty much blown away by them. The first book is how a multidisciplinary athlete can get strong and maintain or improve other fitness qualities. The second book is about conditioning. The author is a Canadian federal LEO and a former paratrooper. I think I paid $5 for the first one and $10 for the second one. They are only available as ebooks.

www.tacticalbarbell.com

Almost forgot to mention Simple and Sinister by Pavel Tsatsouline. Simple but deep program that focuses on mobility and 2 kettlebell exercises: the one hand swing and the Turkish Get Up. The intermediate goal for a male is to be able to do 100 1 arm swings with a 70 lb bell in 5 minutes followed by 10 TGU in 10 minutes with the same weight.

I learned of that book from Mike Prevost's blog which has a bunch of great info.

http://prevost-training.blogspot.com...ed-on.html?m=1

I agree with John Hearne that Larry Lindenman at TPI is an excellent resource.
    Last edited by BJJ; 10-07-2015 at 09:55 PM.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Site Supporter
    I'm 53 yrs old, 5'11" and 238 pounds.

I lift once a week, do cardio twice a week, and train in karate twice a week on average. I added 15 pounds each arm on dumbbell presses this year, which is a nice gain for me. I haven't tried creatine.

I'm absolutely no PT expert, but I have been through more than one national level selection course, always finishing top one or two.

I Crossfit, and have since 2006. 7 days a week, 3 hours a day of martial arts for the 20 years before that, in addition to cardio and lifting. At my peak, (no supplements) I could bench 100 pounds over my body weight. Competition swimmer and gymnast for some of that time.

Since switching to Crossfit, I can come close to my best bench ever, even though I don't bench anymore. My other lifts are way better than they ever were before.

I don't understand the idea of having "weight" goals. Your body wants to be at a certain weight for certain activities/training. I let my performance goals dictate my body weight and composition. I think that is the healthiest, long-term way to go. I eat well, and get as much sleep as I can. Not so easy these days, but oh well. We do what we can, as long as we can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I'm absolutely no PT expert, but I have been through more than one national level selection course, always finishing top one or two.

I Crossfit, and have since 2006. 7 days a week, 3 hours a day of martial arts for the 20 years before that, in addition to cardio and lifting. At my peak, (no supplements) I could bench 100 pounds over my body weight. Competition swimmer and gymnast for some of that time.

Since switching to Crossfit, I can come close to my best bench ever, even though I don't bench anymore. My other lifts are way better than they ever were before.

I don't understand the idea of having "weight" goals. Your body wants to be at a certain weight for certain activities/training. I let my performance goals dictate my body weight and composition. I think that is the healthiest, long-term way to go. I eat well, and get as much sleep as I can. Not so easy these days, but oh well. We do what we can, as long as we can do it.
    I would be lying if I didn't say part of the weight goal was appearance. I also feel better at this weight, which is most likely in my mind.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 10-07-2015 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I would be lying if I didn't say part of the weight goal was appearance. I also feel better at this weight, which is most likely in my mind.
    Copy that. I think I'm a bit older than you, and would be lying if I said that wasn't a motivation of mine at one point in my life. Just don't get hurt doing it.

63 years old.... 6 feet 4 inches 235 pounds
    Eat Oatmeal 2 times a day.
    Protein in oatmeal with a little honey and Greek yogurt.
    Not much red meat... tuna.... chicken ... dark chocolate .. and other good stuff.
    3 Cups of Coffee a day and water.
    Lift 4 to 5 times a week and some times do some Forms and bag work.
    I did a 315 pound Incline bench press a few Months ago.
    My heavy lifting days are over ... Age catches up to everyone... but I am still no walk in the park in terms of being able to defend myself in a bad situation thanks to years of weight lifting martial arts and my mind set .

I'm 71, 178 lbs @ 5'11". Fifty years ago I could regenerate a leg over a long weekend -- as could most of the guys I was with -- but it's harder to recover now. I exercise every day, but they're non-stressful compound (over 2 or more joints) exercises. If you never really stress your body you don't have to recover (at least, that's the hope).

Current program (through 31 Dec 15) is the following:

Monday KB hinge: 5 sets of 20 on-the-minute with 70 lbs.
    KB military press: ladders with 53 lbs.
    Walk 3 miles or casual swim

Tuesday KB hinge: 5 sets of 20 on-the-minute with 70 lbs.
    Chinups: Archer eccentrics with bodyweight. Normally 5 singles.

Wednesday Push: Archer pushups, 2 sets of 10 each arm, emphasis on the eccentric.
    Core: Suitcase carry, 105 yards with 105 lbs (repeat with other arm)

Thurs repeat Monday
    Friday repeat Tuesday
    Saturday repeat Wednesday

Sunday Long walk or swim.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 10-07-2015 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Speling

I have been throwing weights around for 40+ years now and I have discovered quite a bit over time. Most of what I discovered pertains to me not what works for others. Try as I did in my 20's and 30's I just never had the genetics to become a bulging bodybuilder. I tried many of the popular supplements of the time and came to the conclusion that eating well and healthy is good enough. I was 5'9" and 170 - 175 and in great shape. At my best I was bench pressing just over 300 Lbs.

I have kept up the lifestyle now into my 50's. Currently recovering for too much ice cream indulgence (probably stress induced) but now at 185 Lbs and hopefully headed back down to the 165 -170 Lbs area. Gone are the days of body part routines like Bench press, incline bench press, dips & flys followed by a back routine. Back the next day for Shoulders and Arms...

Now I run through a circuit routine similar to a Giant Set. The only rest between exercises in the set is getting to the next exercise. Then I short rest and repeat the set for 5 to 6 runs. A typical set would consist of:
    1. Push ups using a Bosu Ball, feet elevated on a bench, go till failure. (alternates - bench presses, alternating dumbbell bench presses or medicine ball rolling push-ups)
    2. Pull ups till failure (alternates - hanging TRX body weight rows, cable pull downs, T-Bar rows)
    3. Alternating Land mine shoulder presses where I throw the bar from hand to hand. (upright rows, dumbbell side laterals, alternating standing dumbbell military presses)
    4. triceps extensions on a cable machine (close grip dips)
    5. barbell curls (alternating dumbbell curls, reverse curls)
    6. wrist curls
    30 - 45 second rest and repeat.

The idea being to train and smoke the entire upper body and concentrate on utilizing exercises that incorporate multiple muscle groups.

Next I hit core exercises like Ab Wheel Roll outs, weighted leg raises and Oblique Cable Twists. I will follow this up with some cardio on a bike or treadmill.

Next day lower body. Another circuit. Barbell Squats, weighted Walking Lunges, Step Ups on to a knee high bench, Leg extension machine, leg curl machine, standing calf raises, seated calf raises. Rest and repeat then follow with core and cardio.

When I get through each pass of these circuits I am breathing hard and sweating heavily it is just as much cardio as resistance training.

I have found that I have maintained muscle and strength doing this circuit routine just as well as if I was doing many more sets per body part. However I feel that I am employing more muscle groups, tying things together better and in much better shape.

Never smoked, Don't drink (too many boozers in my family, witnessed bad stuff as a kid) and take zero medications. I added a multi vitamin recently but think that is probably doing little for me. I just try to eat healthy. If I were 20 years younger the over indulgence of sweets I got wrapped up in for the past year probably would not have registered in my weight but now that I am older my metabolism just isn't what it used to be.

User Tag List