Page 151 of 175 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1749

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Pretty much missed every top lift I tried. Squat, OHP, bench.

Tried 415 on the squat, and I think I probably had it, but I didn’t go far enough down for it to be counted. Dropped down and did 315 x 10, of varying quality of depth.

Part of it is that I was poorly rested, and I had been working on flooring all weekend.

Another thing....

While I’m still younger than many, I’m closer to 40 than I am to 30, and recovery time is just a bit different now. At 170 pounds, taking no supplements or TRT, I feel like I’m pretty close to my natural limits for my age, build, weight, genetics, whatever. Plus I’m busy with work, school and having a decent amount of property to care for.

Sure I could eat more, and get heavier and stronger, but I’ve been there. There is a price paid for that. Even though I lost a bit of strength, I feel so much better.

I’m not complaining. For my size and age, I’m pretty happy with my strength levels. Not to mention how blessed and lucky I am that I have the ability and health to lift weights.
    I think your nailing it. I recently switched to more accessory work and shoring uo the muscles around my joints as I move into my early thirties.. lifting heavy is great but I'm looking for longevity not a numbers.

I've got a bug in my head that this week I'm going to run for an hour every day instead of lift. Or maybe 5 miles with a set of pullups and pushups every mile.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I think your nailing it. I recently switched to more accessory work and shoring uo the muscles around my joints as I move into my early thirties.. lifting heavy is great but I'm looking for longevity not a numbers.
    I'm 38. I've never touched gear or trt. Best way to protect joints is strengthening the muscles and tendons around the joints.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'm 38. I've never touched gear or trt. Best way to protect joints is strengthening the muscles and tendons around the joints.
    Agreed. I still do compound movements, just not trying to push myself to gain numbers anymore. I also have the reality of living with early onset arthritis in all of my joints from a autoimmune disease. Being an academic I have read a ton of scientific papers from multiple countries on lifting and arthritis. My consensus is a five day week of lifting seems to be the right path for me, which is stating it isn't what's best for everyone

Day 1 push
    Day 2 pull
    Day 3 legs
    Day 4 compound lift upper with accessory push/pull
    Day 5 legs

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

You are a special case. I mean that in the best place way possible.

This is not a bash, there are many things I don’t know, but most people do not understand how amazingly in shape you are. I’m not sure a person could fully understand without lifting.

Weighed before bed. I’m not 170, I was 165.

How hard do you think it would be to “cleanly” eat my way to 175-180? I really don’t want the body fat levels I had when I was 180.

I’m happy with a 405 squat at 165 vs a 455 squat at 180 if it means being fat.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Agreed. I still do compound movements, just not trying to push myself to gain numbers anymore. I also have the reality of living with early onset arthritis in all of my joints from a autoimmune disease. Being an academic I have read a ton of scientific papers from multiple countries on lifting and arthritis. My consensus is a five day week of lifting seems to be the right path for me, which is stating it isn't what's best for everyone

Day 1 push
    Day 2 pull
    Day 3 legs
    Day 4 compound lift upper with accessory push/pull
    Day 5 legs
    I think working with arthritis is definitely a struggle that requires you you tailor everything like you're doing to help manage chronic pain. Depending on what kind of arthritis and where it effects can necessitate you to lift early or late in the day as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    You are a special case. I mean that in the best place way possible.

This is not a bash, there are many things I don’t know, but most people do not understand how amazingly in shape you are. I’m not sure a person could fully understand without lifting.

Weighed before bed. I’m not 170, I was 165.

How hard do you think it would be to “cleanly” eat my way to 175-180? I really don’t want the body fat levels I had when I was 180.

I’m happy with a 405 squat at 165 vs a 455 squat at 180 if it means being fat.
    Thanks.

I think it's definitely doable. You just got to eat more calories while keeping it clean. Add in a chicken breast and sweat potato meal to your current diet every day for 2 weeks. After those 2 weeks add an extra protein shake per day for another 2 weeks. Weigh in in a month. If that doesn't help add a meatball grinder every day.

I've definitely gotten a bit soft. Last summer i got COVID and my running slacked off in the fall because of hunting and I'm heavier then I want to be. I'm at 230 and my pants are just a little to snug. I just need to get down to 220

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

I'm 64, 5'6", lightly active, and rejoined a local Planet Fitness in February...
    Ok, ok, ya;ll convinced me, I canceled my p-f membership yesterday.

I'm thinking of getting a home gym. We're done with RV travel and are going to be in a house for the forseeable future. So I either have the garage or a room I can dedicate to some kind of setup. Since I've been making lifting a part of my workout for a while now, I am pondering just getting a decent barbell, some weights, and a squat / bench rack. That way I can at least do the five core lifts (squat, bench, press, row, dead) at home. We are heading out of town for a few weeks on vacation, so during that period I'm going to explore options.

PS I kept wearing the LCR. As it turned out, all I had to do was add a MMT ACP backside to cover the kydex, and reposition it slightly more centerline. Turned out not to be a problem.

I'm thinking of getting a home gym.
    Posted my questions here, so as not to continue to derail this thread.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Gym-Squat-Rack

I am pondering just getting a decent barbell, some weights, and a squat / bench rack. That way I can at least do the five core lifts (squat, bench, press, row, dead) at home.
    This is the way. Download the StrongLifts 5x5 ap & crush the world 5 measly lbs at a time...after all, it's just two wafer thin 2.5lb plates added every workout. You don't even notice them until you get to 225x5x5 and feel stoopidly good about yourself.

This what some people would think of as the dining room of their house:

Power rack, bar & 370lbs of Olympic weights. Bar is in the upmost racked position to be out my my 6yr old son's way while he parkours over/on/around the front of the house.

Dumbbells/ab-wheel/kb/hang-straps/rings don't ever see as much use as I promise myself they will, but by gawd bench/squat/row/press/deads happen every week

Name:  Home Gym.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  27.3 KB

User Tag List