Page 14 of 175 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Why am I just now finding this thread???
    Glad you found it! I was thinking about what we talked about the other day about fitness via Instagram. Hopefully some people will find this thread and start getting in shape in they need it. Doesn't have to be weight lifting but I like it way more than cardio haha

210 (dad bod right now)
    Right hip refurbished after an on duty auto-ped, partial R A/C separation from combatives class and a tweaked low back from picking up an unconscious fat ass when I was still on the ambulance.

I post vids in the obligatory show off thread from my IG. https://www.instagram.com/hizzie_biscuits/

The weight room saved my life. If it weren't for the squat rack (my docs words) my right leg would've been shattered in that auto-led. My garage gym is my best investment. Only way for me to fit in workouts these days. I've been lazy and just winging my programming. I need to get back on 531 or something.

Matt Wenning on Sumo Deadlifts: https://www.wenningstrength.com/sing...tical-Strength

Derek Miller's Daily Dose Deadlift program. http://www.strongfirst.com/daily-dose-deadlift-plan/ I ran it and made gainz despite illness and missed workouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Necro! Well kind of.

Who is still at it? I just set some new goals and hit a couple of PRs yesterday. The one I am most proud of was my dead lift, finally got 415. I will spent a little time around 400 cleaning up form and getting it twice.
    Congrats on the PR! Still at it here, and working my numbers back up from vacation. Before vacation, I pulled 290x5 with no problem. After the two week break, I attempted 295 and only pulled 2! I tried for the third rep and pulled up to the middle of my shins, when I lost momentum and failed. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    Congrats on the PR! Still at it here, and working my numbers back up from vacation. Before vacation, I pulled 290x5 with no problem. After the two week break, I attempted 295 and only pulled 2! I tried for the third rep and pulled up to the middle of my shins, when I lost momentum and failed. Good times.
    Dead lift is like that for me also. If I take time off or slack on progression I can lose gains pretty easily. Actually pretty much everything is like that now that I am lifting heavier weights. I recently cut 20 pounds (went from 201 to 181) and was happy that I was still able to hit a pr.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Dead lift is like that for me also. If I take time off or slack on progression I can lose gains pretty easily. Actually pretty much everything is like that now that I am lifting heavier weights. I recently cut 20 pounds (went from 201 to 181) and was happy that I was still able to hit a pr.
    Losing 20 LBS while hitting a PR is damn impressive! Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post

The weight room saved my life. If it weren't for the squat rack (my docs words) my right leg would've been shattered in that auto-led. My garage gym is my best investment..
    Awesome man...I love my SSB bar. I have a set up in the basement for winter and the garage for summer. I haven't had the injuries you have but I'm 42 and have dropped about 10 inches and 40lbs from lifting and strongman type workouts. I ran the course of linear progression and have started to explore a conjugate approach using a loose single ply suit for my squats to keep my hips happy (ala Donnie Thompson). I also like learning about any type of training and it's cool to see how universal the principles of training are across a lot of domains.

The physical and mental benefits of training have been invaluable. It doesn't define me but it's as much a part of my life as getting up in the morning. I used to hurt when I started to train, now I hurt if I don't...

I'm still at it though the combination of creeping age and a few injuries over the years, (not generated by the workouts), have kept me from seeking new personal bests.

I primarily focus on compound movements like trap bar deadlifts, weighted dips, dumbbell rows, overhead presses, benches, shrugs, core and grip work.

Since re-injuring my rotator cuff and surrounding area a couple years back I have issues doing weighted chins these days.

Here's my little dungeon. The image is a couple years old but it's mostly the same with maybe some additional olympic weights and bars now.

The PowerBlocks are fantastic dumbbells. They are instantly adjustable from 5 to 125 lbs (each) and I've owned them for 20 years or more.

The bench is an adjustable "Super Bench" from Ironmaster. The bars, bumper weights and some other equipment came from Jesup Gym Equipment (Iowa) back when they did a lot of their business online via ebay.

Keep training.

Name:  gym1.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  68.0 KB

Name:  gym2.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  73.0 KB
    Last edited by blues; 03-03-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I stopped all weight training and went stickly body weight and KB's. I had developed some serious tendonitis in my elbows and I just couldn't deal with it anymore. The tendonitis is gone now but so is a lot of the strength that I had built up. It really shows up on the mat.

I've really ramped up the cardio the last few weeks to get ready for the APFT. As soon as I'm done with that I'm going to start lifting again. The problem with the tendonitis is I don't really know what caused it. It was at the point where even medium weight squats were painful. I don't support the weight with my arms when I squat but just the process of keeping my shoulders back and upper back tight would cause me issues.

I'm going to work back into it really slowly this time. I've been reading "Easy Strength" and I have some different ideas about how I'm going to approach my training this time. Nothing revolutionary but I'm going to focus on movements and not necessarily on a particular lift or working to a particular weight in a given lift.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I stopped all weight training and went stickly body weight and KB's. I had developed some serious tendonitis in my elbows and I just couldn't deal with it anymore. The tendonitis is gone now but so is a lot of the strength that I had built up. It really shows up on the mat.

I've really ramped up the cardio the last few weeks to get ready for the APFT. As soon as I'm done with that I'm going to start lifting again. The problem with the tendonitis is I don't really know what caused it. It was at the point where even medium weight squats were painful. I don't support the weight with my arms when I squat but just the process of keeping my shoulders back and upper back tight would cause me issues.

I'm going to work back into it really slowly this time. I've been reading "Easy Strength" and I have some different ideas about how I'm going to approach my training this time. Nothing revolutionary but I'm going to focus on movements and not necessarily on a particular lift or working to a particular weight in a given lift.
    I'm no expert but you may want to look at some upper thoracic mobility work, along with upper back exercises like face pulls, etc. Lack of mobility and/or strength there may be causing the issue in your elbows. I've had similar issues and if I remember to work on the upper back it usually helps.

I'm seriously looking at a garage gym set up, just trying to decide how deep to go. It would be nice to be able to do what I want, when I want. Currently the only time I have for the gym is early morning, and it's a 10 minute drive each way. That's a lot of time over a month or year, plus I could sneak in workouts at home in the evening.
    I've priced out a whole set up from Rogue, now I need to work up the nerve to pull the trigger 😁 Right now I'm caught up in details - what exact kind of rack, bumper plates or not, etc. Something that just occurred to me is I'd like a mat of some kind for solo BJJ drills and floor exercises so I'm trying to work that into the budget.

57. 6'1", 225. Should be (just) under 200. What works for me as I'm getting older:

1. I never do 1RM. Even 3-5 reps is risky. To avoid injury, everything is 3 or 4 sets of 7-10 reps.
    2. Recovery time dictates all. I tried lifting 5x a week and had to back off to 4x a week, which I can just barely manage.
    3. Protein, creatine, glutamine, BCAA are what actually works for me.
    4. Each workout is a) warm up, stretch, foam roll, b) 30 minutes heavy compound lifts with 2-3 minute rests (3-day alternating sequence of deadlift, squat, bench, repeat), c) 30 minutes auxiliary work (bi, tri, shoulder, various back or chest, traps, abs) done in interval-like circuits, such that I'm always hitting heart rate of 150 several times, then d) now that my glycogen is fairly depleted and I'm in a fat burning mode, do 20 minutes cardio or not-too-heavy bag work, e) go home and be useless the rest of the night.
    5. A lot of interesting stuff at bodyrecomposition.com.

ETA: 6: yes you can add muscle and lose fat, but your diet has to be perfect and you have to be patient. Also realize that you're not optimizing either process; it's a compromise.
    Last edited by dgg9; 03-03-2017 at 11:06 AM.

User Tag List