Page 111 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1749

Thread: Weight Lifting

Finally did my first Starting Strength "A" workout:

3x5 squats 135 lb
    3x5 bench 135 lb
    1x5 deadlift 185 lb

With no spotter and no idea how much I should be lifting, I tried to be pretty conservative on the weights. The squat effort felt easy, but I struggled to find the correct place on my back for the low bar method. I was surprised to struggle a bit with bench rep #5 on the third set - I expected to struggle for reps closer to bodyweight (190-200).

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post

3x5 squats 135 lb
    3x5 bench 135 lb
    1x5 deadlift 185 lb

With no spotter and no idea how much I should be lifting, I tried to be pretty conservative on the weights. The squat effort felt easy, but I struggled to find the correct place on my back for the low bar method. I was surprised to struggle a bit with bench rep #5 on the third set - I expected to struggle for reps closer to bodyweight (190-200).
    Nice! I wouldn't worry about what weights as they'll get up there pretty fast, esp if you're adding 10 lbs each time to squats and deadlift.

Site Supporter

3x5 squats 135 lb
    3x5 bench 135 lb
    1x5 deadlift 185 lb

You’ve been losing weight like crazy, I wouldn’t worry too much about how much weight you lift or how much you struggle, other than on how to base your workouts.

I think SS is a good method, but I tossed out the low bar squat for the regular hi bar squat. You’re going to get stronger doing either one. Do the one you can do the best.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I know I need to quit it but I don’t smoke, drink zero alcohol, don’t eat lots of sweets, eat lots of junk, etc. It’s my vice.

Even though I do drink a lot of diet soda, I do drink a gallon or more of water a day.
    I switched over to mineral water. Don't miss it at all.

3x5 squats 135 lb
    3x5 bench 135 lb
    1x5 deadlift 185 lb

If you're lifting without a spotter, I think overhead press is a better choice for your main upper body lift. Starting Strength has many excellent videos on the press, and many articles that can explain its advantages beyond the safety factor. Once you get into heavier bench press weights it can become dangerous to lift without a spotter. One thing you might do when bench pressing, is to consider not using clips to hold the weights on. That way if you do fail a rep, you can rock the bar to one side and dump the plates off giving you a chance to escape from under the bar. In addition to that, you might also consider only bench pressing inside a squat rack or cage and using the safety arms to prevent the bar from resting on your chest if you fail a rep.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    If you're lifting without a spotter, I think overhead press is a better choice for your main upper body lift. Starting Strength has many excellent videos on the press, and many articles that can explain its advantages beyond the safety factor. Once you get into heavier bench press weights it can become dangerous to lift without a spotter. One thing you might do when bench pressing, is to consider not using clips to hold the weights on. That way if you do fail a rep, you can rock the bar to one side and dump the plates off giving you a chance to escape from under the bar. In addition to that, you might also consider only bench pressing inside a squat rack or cage and using the safety arms to prevent the bar from resting on your chest if you fail a rep.

If I’m benching alone, I never use clips. Have had to dump a couple of times. The safety pin option is another way to help prevent serious injury.

When it comes to bench I’m not all that strong, but in the last few years I’ve only had a spotter one time. That was a few weeks ago when I got 240. However, I’ve been lifting long enough to know my limitations and what I can safely do without a spotter. Even then, it can be a risk.

OHP and bench should both be part of a program in my opinion. One nice thing about OHP is when you finish it, you are set up to do squats.

I'll pitch in. When I went to meps.at 18, I was 6 foot 176 with a 32 inch waist.

I am 51 now. 6 foot 185 with a 34 inch waist.

My thing has always been endurance not bulk

I lift 4x a week 45-55 minutes. Home bench never set foot in a gym.

Lower:
    5*7 squat
    5*7 calf lifts
    5*7 quad lifts
    5*7 ham lifts

Upper
    5*7 bench
    5*7 shoulder lift
    5*7 curls each arm
    5*7 pull up each arm

I used to bike and run for 30-45 at least 4* a week but the past few years I found hits

I run 15 minutes now. Bike 20. I find it way more effective.

Drink a lot of water and avoid processed and fast food as much as possible never any soda.

Heart health and staying fit have been my goals.

Just what has worked for me.
    Last edited by eb07; 08-31-2021 at 08:42 AM.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    https://armstrongpullupprogram.com/
    Maple Syrup Actual,I recently read about this,I haven't tried it but it does look interesting.Good Luck.
    Hey, I meant to thank you for this and forgot - kind of a crazy week last week. Anyway things are settling down and I am reading it over now and agree, that looks interesting for sure; might start experimenting with that.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

3x5 squats 135 lb
    3x5 bench 135 lb
    1x5 deadlift 185 lb

Concur with @scw2...even the two lil' wafer thin 2.5's you'll add every bench workout add up quicker than you think. I used to suck at bench and just thinking about the first time I hit 225x5x5 still makes me grin. I didn't have a spotter either, but since I'd put in the time to get to 225, I didn't question whether or not I'd be able to handle it. (I do use safety bars now that I have room to workout at home again.)

User Tag List