Page 11 of 175 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Joe, very curious as to exacts.

Sounds like something that would work for me.
    The book comes highly recommended and the interview of Perryman explains some of it. I've noticed a lot of posts on this thread coming from this same or similiar perspective and these posters are way more knowledgeable than i.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/09825...dpL&ref=plSrch

https://bretcontreras.com/interview-with-matt-perryman/
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Very interesting, thanks!

The Perryman interview was very helpful. I've noticed over the last 3 months that I was "seemingly" recovering faster, but figured it was a false perception. Perryman mentioned that our bodies adapt to the new reality of moving some iron around. Hmmmmm..... Think I'll start varying the routine and see what happens....

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    The Perryman interview was very helpful. I've noticed over the last 3 months that I was "seemingly" recovering faster, but figured it was a false perception. Perryman mentioned that our bodies adapt to the new reality of moving some iron around. Hmmmmm..... Think I'll start varying the routine and see what happens....
    A little variety can go a looooong way.

The only thing I don't vary on is that, unless my knee feels grindy, I squat each session. I try to work in different supplemental exercises each session depending on my time limit/how spry I'm feeling. That said, I think I'm going to try adding some amount of Farmer carrying to each session after doing some more research on the benefits the last few days.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    That said, I think I'm going to try adding some amount of Farmer carrying to each session after doing some more research on the benefits the last few days.
    I've used dumbells, kettlebells, the Spud Inc straps, trap bar and dedicated farmer carry handles from BWTG. If you think you're going to go heavier than 90lbs a side, dumbbells or the dedicated handles are the way to go. With the kettlebells and especially the straps the weight will start hitting you in the legs. When it's light it can be annoying, when it gets heavy it can mess up your gait. If you're using a trap bar and drop it, be ready for the bar to roll and take your feet out from under you.

http://www.roguefitness.com/spud-inc...r-walk-handles
    http://www.blackwidowtg.com/product_...rmers-walk.htm

The handles I should have bought the first time
    http://www.blackwidowtg.com/product_...rmers-walk.htm
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I was about to order those Spud straps. I'd probably use them with three 45s on a side. Do they really sway that much?

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I was about to order those Spud straps. I'd probably use them with three 45s on a side. Do they really sway that much?
    They don't sway much at all. The problem is that they don't hang straight up and down. If you watch the video on the rogue site you can see even with one plate that top of the plate is tipped out to the side. With one or two iron 45lb plates I find this pretty manageable, because i can hold the weight a couple inches from my body. Once the weights get heavier and the stack get thicker that tilt gets more pronounced and the bottom edge of the plates will hit me in the ankles, and if I flip them the plates will dig into my thighs.

Thanks for the info. I usually use a trap bar outside. There's no room to carry the trap bar around inside our gym so I was going to get the straps to use inside during the winter

I'm a coach for a living and do a fitness podcast for fun. 6'4 and usually between 240 and 275 depending on competition prep for powerlifting. I squat 460x5 recently and I'm chasing my first 600lb deadlift.

I like to lift with more frequency than a lot of the traditional American programs that do 1 lift per day. I squat or do variations 2-4x week, bench and variations 3-4x week and pull 2-3x a week. Training the lifts more often is better sport practice for me and allows for more volume, which I need at this point to continue getting stronger.

I'll echo Cecil and Craig and suggest you find a coach if you're just learning the big lifts. I know that's like asking your barber if you need a haircut, but a good coach can save you a lot of time and money.

I've enjoyed Larry's posts on TPI as well. Dan John's Intervention is required reading for coaches when I get to mentor newer guys.

I like Starting Strength for the simplicity and effectiveness of the program, but I teach the lifts a little differently than Rippetoe nowadays. His way isn't wrong, I've just found my own way over the years.

I coach out of a CrossFit gym and am a CF level 2 coach, which doesn't mean a whole lot to people who aren't into CF. The vast majority of my time there is personal training where I teach newbies how to safely train before they enter the group classes.

I'd love to do a podcast episode answering questions you guys have on the basics. If you're curious about equipment, programming for strength (I mostly write custom stuff now, but I've seen or tried all the big ones at this point), supplements (start at examine.com), or anything else post your questions and I'll try to record a show answering them.

If that's way too much of a self plug from a virtual stranger, I apologize. I mostly enjoy reading/learning here, as I don't have much new information to contribute on shooting.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Memento Mori

For the gym they're hard to beat since they can fit in your bag.

If 135lbs turns out to be too much, then a couple extra laps with 90lbs will get you to the same level of tired.

User Tag List