Page 61 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by _JD_ View Post
    Deadlifting @ 270. 3 sets of 12. PR of 320, having some (mixed) grip issues near the end. 4 sets of 10 give me less grip issues.

Have been working at grip with one handed descending kettle bell swings with a 50# bell and doing plate pinches with a 45# plate to help improve grip strength.

Need to get a captain of crush or something as my current 80# grip exerciser is about tapped out.

At what weight do the masses think straps erc are Ok?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Honestly that’s a lot of reps for dead lift. I never go above five because grip starts to fail or technique goes down. That is extremely dangerous with those types of lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Honestly that’s a lot of reps for dead lift. I never go above five because grip starts to fail or technique goes down. That is extremely dangerous with those types of lifts.
    Noted.

Site Supporter
    @_JD_ @Jay585

Both of you guys are doing impressive and good work. Breakingtime91 is right though, that is a lot of reps for dead lift. I do it sometimes, but it's not really the most wise thing. For me it's more of a mental challenge.

If you are able to go through a lifting career without ever using a belt or straps, is this admirable or foolish?

EDIT: @_JD_ something I forgot to ask is: are you using chalk? It makes a huge difference. Sometimes I forget to use chalk (chalk is new to me) and I'll miss a rep. Or make it to the top with an "open" grip, rushing to set it down, before I realize I forgot the chalk.
    Last edited by Jay585; 05-26-2019 at 04:53 AM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

I should clarify my thoughts on squats and dead lifts. Compound movements are amazing for building mental toughness and overall muscle. I usually stick in the 5-8 reps with them because most people’s body react better to higher weight. This also helps ensure that your form stays well enough that you are not getting hurt, remember lifting is a marathon not a sprint.

Not using chalk. Anyone experiment with a grip stick vs chalk?

I've seen different thoughts on reps etc from a bodybuilding vs power lifting perspective. And what I'm doing fits in there, but at the top end of the reps.

I'm being pretty careful in my movements / form as to not break myself. Just got through rotator cuff surgery not all that long ago.

Will try out less reps / more weight next DL session and report back.

Today is back / traps.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by _JD_ View Post
    Not using chalk. Anyone experiment with a grip stick vs chalk?

I've seen different thoughts on reps etc from a bodybuilding vs power lifting perspective. And what I'm doing fits in there, but at the top end of the reps.

I'm being pretty careful in my movements / form as to not break myself. Just got through rotator cuff surgery not all that long ago.

Will try out less reps / more weight next DL session and report back.

Today is back / traps.

Regarding chalk, do you lift at home or in a gym? I just buy chalk blocks to use at the house. My gym, my rules.

Here’s some chalk on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gym+chalk...l_7s7lzsm9zl_e

Any of the blocks work well, but are not discrete for use in public.
    Last edited by Guinnessman; 05-26-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    Regarding chalk, do you lift at home or in a gym? I just buy chalk blocks to use at the house. My gym, my rules.

Here’s some chalk on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gym+chalk...l_7s7lzsm9zl_e

Planet Fitness it is what it is and that's pretty much what I have to work with.

Might give a grip stick a go as I can toss that in a pocket or Lord help me....a fanny pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post

Going to give this a try.

Site Supporter
    Probably a dumb and incredibly vague question, but at what point should one consider using a weight belt...if it is at all advisable.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List