Page 105 of 175 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1748

Thread: Weight Lifting

Today marks 6 weeks since my bi-lateral inguinal hernia repair. I've been back in the gym for 3 weeks now ramping it up slowly. Most of my precautionary carefulness has been focused on squats & deadlifts. Surgery was Mar. 15 by Mar 21 I was back to my usual hiking in hilly terrain with my dogs, 8 miles on 3/21.

I can do weighted leg lifts (ab exercise) off the end of a bench with no issue but rollouts with an Ab Wheel hurts at 1 of the 4 incision sites. When I say "hurts" it's soreness that I feel I shouldn't ignore given I was cut there. I've been doing a set or two of partial roll outs taking it to the point where I feel safe every workout. I figure the stress will hasten the healing and break up scar tissue. I just don't feel comfortable rolling out parallel with the floor and tearing something. Perhaps in a couple more weeks I may just have to ignore the pain/soreness I feel to get beyond it. My surgeon said at 6 weeks post-op I'm unrestricted and can start back. Obviously I took a more aggressive approach but limited the stress on my abdomen.

I've been going through the motions with light high rep low bar squats for 2 weeks. I just added deadlifts and being conservative with those too. Last Friday I tried wearing my lifting belt for the first time since the surgery. The belt didn't feel good when I went down in the squat. I felt it at same incision site that bothers me in the roll outs. Other than the ab wheel and the lifting belt I do not feel discomfort or problem with my incisions or repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How heavy do go with walking lunges?

You and Hizzie are some impressively strong dudes.
    Im not back quite yet.

Ill let you know in a couple days. I used to do 20 paces with 75s

I have managed to go from 5'11" 137 lbs to ~147 lbs (while keeping the same pants size).

So I am gaining muscle.

I tried doing 3 days a week lifting like I used to do in college and I just could not recover fast enough (I'm 47) and I would have to stop and take a week off to rest every 3-4 weeks or I would be noticeably dragging.

I have found that I can do a full body workout on Mon and Thur each week and I can do 8 weeks before I need to take rest week.

My current routine is getting fairly stale and I would like to try something else.

Anyone got any recommendations for a 2 day per week full body workout using dumbells and/or body weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I have managed to go from 5'11" 137 lbs to ~147 lbs (while keeping the same pants size).

So I am gaining muscle.

I tried doing 3 days a week lifting like I used to do in college and I just could not recover fast enough (I'm 47) and I would have to stop and take a week off to rest every 3-4 weeks or I would be noticeably dragging.

I have found that I can do a full body workout on Mon and Thur each week and I can do 8 weeks before I need to take rest week.

My current routine is getting fairly stale and I would like to try something else.

Anyone got any recommendations for a 2 day per week full body workout using dumbells and/or body weight?
    What have you been doing so far, and what equipment do you have available/what do you prefer to do?

For recovery as you get older, I've found you have to be stricter about diet and sleep. You can recover as well, but you need to put more thought and effort into that side. Younger folks do fine with 5 hrs, plenty of partying and a diet of chicken nuggets and sandwiches. But you have to be stricter as you get older.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    What have you been doing so far, and what equipment do you have available/what do you prefer to do?

For recovery as you get older, I've found you have to be stricter about diet and sleep. You can recover as well, but you need to put more thought and effort into that side. Younger folks do fine with 5 hrs, plenty of partying and a diet of chicken nuggets and sandwiches. But you have to be stricter as you get older.
    I have been doing this:

https://www.workout-routine.com/dumb..._full-body.pdf

I have an bench that can go flat or incline (no bar holder though), cast iron dumbells from 15 lbs to 55 lbs in 10 lb increments. Pull up bar and an ab roller.

I will do pretty much any exercise but years ago I ruptured a disc doing dead lifts so I avoid them now.

I try to eat extra protein after every workout (animal and plant) and I get at least 7 hours of sleep a night, no alcohol, no caffeine, limited sugar (only fruit), no soda, not taking any medications and I do supplement vitamin D because if I don't, my joints hurt.

Sure feels good to get back to a 455lb DL after 3 weeks. 135x10, 225x10, 315x5, 365x3, 405x2, 455 for a single.

I used to do that for sets of 10 so I still have a way to go.

the Wendler 5/3/1 with accessory lifts has got me back interested and excited to lift. I like that it goes in cycles and I have a set goal for every day, week, and month. I just turned thirty (april 23) and my goal was to get away from "looking good lifting" and really focus on my strength in my thirties. Approaching each lifting day with a main lift and everything else being an "accessory" was a light bulb moment for me and got me motivated. I started with modest PR numbers on purpose. I wanted to see my growth and see how high I can get those numbers by the end of the year.

The clarity of focus and no bs really makes this plan a winner in my book.

Updated programming. Gonna try to rebuild some of my work capacity with more lower body work. Specifically I’m incorporating unilateral work. Also addressing my lats and triceps this cycle.

http://instagram.com/p/COQjOpELbRS/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Squatted last night. Worked up to 315 for a double. Did some lunges with 55lbs dbs. Feeling pretty gimpish playing tag with my son. Good thing hes 2.

I think Ill be back to 315 for sets of 10 by june.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Squatted last night. Worked up to 315 for a double. Did some lunges with 55lbs dbs. Feeling pretty gimpish playing tag with my son. Good thing hes 2.

I think Ill be back to 315 for sets of 10 by june.
    I scrimmaged last night against my daughter’s soccer team. Smoked my legs. Couldn’t squat last night. I’m stiff today but gotta put in the work.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List