Page 94 of 175 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

I typically have to train without a spotter. I use a power rack for squats and set the safety bars just below my bottom position. Worst case scenario, I dump it and it falls a couple of inches and makes a loud noise. If you don't have a rack, look for one used -- it's absolutely worth it.

I did once have a spotter unable to save me from an ill-advised free-stand attempt at 495. Since I didn't want to dump it backwards on him, I dumped it forwards over my head. It tore my shirt across my back but didn't hurt me. I figured that was about the worst thing that could happen squatting.

My worst powerlifting screw-up was on bench when I was using a flat palm technique with no thumb wrap-around. On the way up on a rep, the bar suddenly rolled forward off my palms. The spotter caught it after it bounced off my chest and we were able to rack it. That hurt. It took a few minutes to catch my breath. One dude came over and said I shouldn't get up until the color came back to face -- my buddy pointed out I always looked like that. I permanently switched to thumb wrap-around grip.

I 100% agree with the comments about balanced fitness. At the time I was into powerlifting, aerobic work was rare. From some pictures I've found from back then, it showed I feel better being lighter and getting more running in, even if it means I'm not throwing quite as much big iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    I typically have to train without a spotter. I use a power rack for squats and set the safety bars just below my bottom position. Worst case scenario, I dump it and it falls a couple of inches and makes a loud noise. If you don't have a rack, look for one used -- it's absolutely worth it.

I did once have a spotter unable to save me from an ill-advised free-stand attempt at 495. Since I didn't want to dump it backwards on him, I dumped it forwards over my head. It tore my shirt across my back but didn't hurt me. I figured that was about the worst thing that could happen squatting.

My worst powerlifting screw-up was on bench when I was using a flat palm technique with no thumb wrap-around. On the way up on a rep, the bar suddenly rolled forward off my palms. The spotter caught it after it bounced off my chest and we were able to rack it. That hurt. It took a few minutes to catch my breath. One dude came over and said I shouldn't get up until the color came back to face -- my buddy pointed out I always looked like that. I permanently switched to thumb wrap-around grip.

I 100% agree with the comments about balanced fitness. At the time I was into powerlifting, aerobic work was rare. From some pictures I've found from back then, it showed I feel better being lighter and getting more running in, even if it means I'm not throwing quite as much big iron.
    Before Covid I bought a beat up old rack, bar, bench, weight and tree for $250. The rack has saved my ass at least a few times alone in the garage. The rusty bar is a worthy opponent.

Not strictly weights, but I’ve been doing variations of these interval combos using kettlebells and find them to be great functional workouts: Name:  36F5CA06-E719-4D95-8C10-2DA2E134B812.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  50.8 KBName:  93FFCE31-EC0D-4CEA-9223-E036D4BAF803.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  49.4 KB

I used a single 24kg bell for both and was done in under 45 minutes. Both kicked my butt, although the burpee one more so.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Relevant to our recent discussion of deadlifting, here's some ideas from guys with very big pulls from reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/weightroom/...onal_deadlift/

Site Supporter
    265 x 20 last night and 275 x 20 tonight. Normally I am a no music kind of guy when lifting, but tonight I listened to The Delta Force theme to get me through the 20 rep set.

Usually I do not do 20 rep sets on back to back days, but I so despise 20 rep squats that I just wanted to get it over with. The plan is to reach 315 x 20 in 2-3 weeks. We shall see. Last time I gave up at 265.

Site Supporter
    In regards to the cardio discussion, I'm not a heavy lifter at all. I do mainly situps/pushups/pull-ups, with some yoga and dumbells thrown in. However, I trained for and ran a half marathon last year. Prior to that, my resistance training always left me really worn out. Now, when I do resistance work, my limit is only strength. My muscles can run out of energy, but in no way am I panting and winded.

It's probably also worth looking at cardio as something that should be hard. Lots of people go out and jog for a couple miles, but aren't really trying. I do that too sometimes, especially at longer distances. If you go out and try to hit speed targets, pushing every time to get faster, or alternate anaerobic sprints with aerobic running, you're doing a lot more work and making yourself stronger in more ways than just cardiovascular endurance.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    In regards to the cardio discussion, I'm not a heavy lifter at all. I do mainly situps/pushups/pull-ups, with some yoga and dumbells thrown in. However, I trained for and ran a half marathon last year. Prior to that, my resistance training always left me really worn out. Now, when I do resistance work, my limit is only strength. My muscles can run out of energy, but in no way am I panting and winded.

It's probably also worth looking at cardio as something that should be hard. Lots of people go out and jog for a couple miles, but aren't really trying. I do that too sometimes, especially at longer distances. If you go out and try to hit speed targets, pushing every time to get faster, or alternate anaerobic sprints with aerobic running, you're doing a lot more work and making yourself stronger in more ways than just cardiovascular endurance.
    You're right about endurance and how it can make you stronger. How did your half marathon go?

Well I so want to get my 20 rep squat program over that I went in and did 285 x 20 today. Yea, I am done with 20 rep squats until next week. For some of you that is nothing weight wise, but it's pushing me to my limits by the end of the set.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    You're right about endurance and how it can make you stronger. How did your half marathon go?
    I'm slow, but the experience was pretty great. Around may 2019 a buddy asked if anybody wanted to train for one with him. I'd done some casual jogging, just to destress from work, and a few 5ks and a 10k, and thought it might be worth trying. Got a lot of advice from a serious runner friend, and started working. Trained all summer and ran it in October. Between being busy with work and small kids and making a variety of small bad decisions, I was at the heaviest I'd ever been, around 250. By the time I ran the race, I had dropped to 220 and had to get all new pants. Still not a skinny guy, and never fast, but it was great to see the changes over half a year. I become probably the most healthy I've been in my adult life . By the fall I could go out and run 5 miles and it wasn't even hard unless I was pushing for faster times. More energy, better mood, etc., etc.

The downside was IT band strain which required several months of not running to heal. It popped up in the race itself on the last couple miles and hurt real bad every time my foot hit the ground. Wasn't bad when I wasn't running, but required some time off to get back into regular habits.

Site Supporter
    Squats and bench tonight.

295 x 20 on squats. Reps 17-20 were absolutely brutal for me.

I went from thinking I was going to vomit to having a terrible headache for the last two reps. It was one of the worst headaches I have had in a while. Sharp, intense and painful.

My focus was so much on pushing through the set that I stopped breathing properly. This was really detrimental and something I must work on. My head position was probably not the best towards the end of the set either.

My 315 x 20 attempt should be next week, and I am going to have to bring my A game to get it done.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 10-15-2020 at 01:06 AM.

"Exercising one arm has twice the benefits"

Backstory: Six weeks ago I was doing weighted dips while thinking, "If I lean more forward I might be able to get a little more training effect into my pecs." The next few dips felt reasonably strong. "Good," I thought, "now I'll just lean a little more forward while dipping all the way down and really work those pecs." I was a little more than half-way through the first eccentric when my right shoulder came apart, making me think that perhaps my pecs had enough stimulation for one day.

Seven days later I was still nursing that shoulder while Mrs. Tecum was dragging me through our daily walk. That was when I gracefully tripped on something and came down on the concrete, with my previously well protected right elbow in the van. That was five weeks ago, and there have been no dips since. Actually, there's been nothing since, and certainly no exercise that (i) involved, (ii) may involve, or (iii) anytime in the future might possibly involve my right shoulder. That includes sleeping a full eight hours which, it develops, requires more shoulder involvement than one might think.

Thus, this article came to notice:

Summary:
    New research has revealed that training one arm can improve strength and decrease muscle loss in the other arm -- without even moving it. The findings could help to address the muscle wastage and loss of strength often experienced in an immobilized arm, such as after injury, by using eccentric exercise on the opposing arm.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1022112555.htm

User Tag List