Page 162 of 175 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172 ... LastLast
Results 1,611 to 1,620 of 1749

Thread: Weight Lifting

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbonez View Post
    December will mark 4 years since I’ve competed in Olympic Weightlifting. Since then I’ve still made the Oly lifts the cornerstone of my training but it’s really just been to do it recreationally, because the lifts are super fun to do, and to look good naked. I’ve had the itch to compete again for some time, but my current job takes a pretty big toll on the body and I’m certainly not getting any younger (I’m in the first level of masters lifters).

This past week I decided to commit to competing at a meet in the next 8 weeks, which isn’t a lot of time, simply to get back on the competitive platform and to have fun. I reached out to my old coach and I think we have a way forward.

Vids below of my current training maxes. My bodyweight is currently 63.5/140 and I’ll probably compete as a 67. I used to compete as a light 73 walking around at 70.5/155 or so, but like I said, the job is taking its toll.

Awesome I love the Oly lifts and wish I had the flexibility to actually do them rather than a poor imitation of them. And honestly I think olympic weightlifters have the best looking bodies of the Power/Oly/Bodybuilding type athletes.

Lifted with my neighbor this morning. He has a killer home gym. It was nice to deadlift with an actual deadlift bar.

He's prepping for a powerlifting meet in Jan and is following a routine a coach made for him.

We started back with benching and did a few work sets at 5 reps and then we started pulling.

I did 405x10 then got 495x3.

He just got some 150lbs dumbbells so I did db rows with them. Did 3 sets of 10 and felt really good. Gassed but good.

Now I don't need to worry about lifting after work.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Awesome I love the Oly lifts and wish I had the flexibility to actually do them rather than a poor imitation of them. And honestly I think olympic weightlifters have the best looking bodies of the Power/Oly/Bodybuilding type athletes.
    The Oly lifts (and some gymnastics work) have formed the cornerstone of my gym training even with this long break between my last competition and now. They are fun to do, they look badass, and they train a degree of athleticism well above the gym bro lifts. I've actually been blessed to have naturally good mobility and flexibility that's well above average. There are areas on which I should work, but I didn't have to do anything really to get where I am. In spite of my job, I've been able to maintain what I've got with little to no dedicated work as well. It doesn't mean I don't do mobility work though.

Weightlifters in the weight classes in the middle definitely have aesthetically developed bodies. Generally speaking, oly lifters have more developed posterior chains and lower bodies that typically stand out more compared to other strength athletes. Bodybuilders are looking for symmetry and powerlifters are developing high levels of absolute strength. I like the concept of strength expressed explosively... enter Olympic Weightlifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post

Doc, I'm not being a tool here, I'm only trying to be helpful. I have in the 82.5Kg (now a long gone memory) weight class snatched 167Kg, years ago. C&J'd 180 KG with serious wrist injuries that damaged my front squat/clean work.

Watching your videos at full speed and 0.25 speed I see the same thing.

You have solid form coming off the floor with your butt low (and keeping it there), tight back (and maintaining that), pretty much neutral head position, no (this is MAJOR) swing to the bar ie as straight as possible pull. Those are all big time positives that most people struggle with one, or all.

Your form remains solid all thru the lift but what I see missing is a velocity increase as the bar passes your knees. This is big imo.

You are pulling both the snatch and clean high enough to power snatch/clean that weight easily. No need to go to earth to get under them. That's a sign.

That to me means, coupled with the glacial speed of the top end of the pull, and the glacial speed of getting under the bar, you need to add significant velocity to the bar as it passes your knees and you brush [band
    g] the thigh, and add significant velocity in getting under the bar. Very significant.
    That will have you (assuming leg/back strength is there) putting much higher weight overhead.
    My solution would be: hang cleans/snatches with as little dip as possible (to FORCE you to put velocity into the bar and FORCE you to get under the bar faster).

Olympic lifting is a constantly changing situation of identifying weak spots and correcting them.

Your technique is very solid, your velocity into the bar upper end of the pull sucks. Fix that and you'll be trying to catch up with front/back squat strength, that might make sense to you

Either way, I'm an unknown person on the internet so ignore me if you please. But I am correct here and trying to be helpful.
    Good luck going foreward bro.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Doc, .
    I think you mean @Timbonez

Yes, yes I do

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Doc, I'm not being a tool here, I'm only trying to be helpful. I have in the 82.5Kg (now a long gone memory) weight class snatched 167Kg, years ago. C&J'd 180 KG with serious wrist injuries that damaged my front squat/clean work.

Watching your videos at full speed and 0.25 speed I see the same thing.

You have solid form coming off the floor with your butt low (and keeping it there), tight back (and maintaining that), pretty much neutral head position, no (this is MAJOR) swing to the bar ie as straight as possible pull. Those are all big time positives that most people struggle with one, or all.

Your form remains solid all thru the lift but what I see missing is a velocity increase as the bar passes your knees. This is big imo.

You are pulling both the snatch and clean high enough to power snatch/clean that weight easily. No need to go to earth to get under them. That's a sign.

That to me means, coupled with the glacial speed of the top end of the pull, and the glacial speed of getting under the bar, you need to add significant velocity to the bar as it passes your knees and you brush [band
    g] the thigh, and add significant velocity in getting under the bar. Very significant.
    That will have you (assuming leg/back strength is there) putting much higher weight overhead.
    My solution would be: hang cleans/snatches with as little dip as possible (to FORCE you to put velocity into the bar and FORCE you to get under the bar faster).

Olympic lifting is a constantly changing situation of identifying weak spots and correcting them.

Your technique is very solid, your velocity into the bar upper end of the pull sucks. Fix that and you'll be trying to catch up with front/back squat strength, that might make sense to you

Either way, I'm an unknown person on the internet so ignore me if you please. But I am correct here and trying to be helpful.
    Good luck going foreward bro.
    I appreciate the critiques, and thanks for the positives as well. I’m not going to ignore you, but I do have a coach that I’ve known for years and that has previously coached me to the AO Series in the past. No doubt my relative success in Olympic Weightlifting is much less impressive compared to your stated total, even when taking relative strength/bodyweight into account. I’ve done the lifts on and off without competing, as stated above, for the past few years simply for recreation/fun and to stay healthy due to the demands of my job. I am literally just spinning back up to compete simply so I can be on the platform.

My current weak spots being addressed aren’t the ones you mentioned. Maybe those will be addressed in time, but probably not. There are other issues that need to be corrected first.

ETA: Do you have vids from when you competed? Those would be great to see. And do you still incorporate the Oly lifts in to your normal training?

6 miles today with my wife. My daughter ran the last half mile
    Name:  20230921_102334.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  73.3 KB
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

First Leg Day after a Layoff

Combination of a cold (or COVID not that I care) plus work crunch led to a near 2 week layoff. I was surprised at how good things felt
    squats: 2x10/185
    modified incline press: 2x10/270
    Single leg extensions: 3x10/130
    Raised heel goblet squats: 3x12/95
    3x18 walking lunges with 2x40 lbs

I really want to get back to squatting 225 and stay there.

Site Supporter
    This is one of my favorite threads, and I hate lifting weights. lol

It is awesome to see so many people challenging themselves and pushing their minds/bodies.

User Tag List