Page 87 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    In that case maybe I shoyld stick with regular 531 instead of BBB.

Multuple lifts per workout don't fit my schedule very well. My rack is old, and squeaky. Adjusting from one lift to the next with my wife asleep on the otherside of a wall is a recipie for less than marital bliss. Plus, the time it takes is likely to mess up my sleep pattern.

With regular 531 doing one lift a day, I dont experience the extreme soreness I've discuessed. I'm going to evaluate things a bit more - I truly appreciate your input.

-Cory
    No problem, Wendler’s 531 is a fine program. You can certainly do one movement per day, but I’d still recommend sticking with the sets of 3 until you hit a progression wall, then switch to his 531 model. The idea is to stick with the same rep range and progressively load workout to workout...until you can’t. If you eat enough and don’t make drastic jumps, you can do it for several months easily.

Site Supporter
    In that case maybe I shoyld stick with regular 531 instead of BBB.

Multuple lifts per workout don't fit my schedule very well. My rack is old, and squeaky. Adjusting from one lift to the next with my wife asleep on the otherside of a wall is a recipie for less than marital bliss. Plus, the time it takes is likely to mess up my sleep pattern.

With regular 531 doing one lift a day, I dont experience the extreme soreness I've discuessed. I'm going to evaluate things a bit more - I truly appreciate your input.

-Cory
    With 5/3/1 one lift a day, you could potentially lift 6 days a week with one rest day. 5/3/1 is very low volume (I assume you are doing “Jack Shit”). The added frequency of Benching, Squatting, and Deadlifting twice a week could help push you numbers up, while keeping your workouts short and frequent.

Buy microplates so you can increase weight at smaller increments, and most importantly just be consistent in your training. I find that frequent benching and squatting are needed for me to progress in those lifts.

Don’t grind yourself into the ground. It’s easy to do when lifting with young kids and a lack of sleep. Most of all, make it enjoyable and not a chore.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    No problem, Wendler’s 531 is a fine program. You can certainly do one movement per day, but I’d still recommend sticking with the sets of 3 until you hit a progression wall, then switch to his 531 model. The idea is to stick with the same rep range and progressively load workout to workout...until you can’t. If you eat enough and don’t make drastic jumps, you can do it for several months easily.
    I really consider 5/3/1 a great intermediate program. I think your advise is solid and want to emphasize it to Cory.

If he is not above body weight on the main lifts he is likely getting too little stress and too much rest on 5/3/1 and would be better off on one of the 5x5 plans.

If he listens and executes what you said in a 3 or 5 rep routine he will be strong as hell and very tired in 6 months when 5/3/1 is more appropriate.

Site Supporter
    @cor_man257

You could try running a one lift a day version of Starting Strength like this:

S. Rest
    M. Squat 3 sets of 5 rep, Deadlift 1 set of 5 (Workout A)
    T. Bench 3x5. (Workout B)
    W. Squat 3x5, DL 1x5
    Th. Bench 3x5
    F. Squat 3x5, DL 1x5
    Sat. Rest or Bench 3x5

The following Monday you can do workout A or B. Just alternate A and B until you stall. Once you stall do maybe one reset, then switch to Intermediate programming. Once your low back starts feeling fatigue from heavy squats and deadlifts, you can then Deadlift once a week. When 3x5 doesn’t work, do 5 sets of 3. When 1x5 DL stalls, do two triples. When 2 triples fails, do 3 doubles. Add 5 pounds every workout until you stall.

When you start to taper, doing doubles or triples, you will start getting a good idea of your estimated one rep max, then you can make the switch back to intermediate programming.
    Last edited by Guinnessman; 03-21-2020 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I really consider 5/3/1 a great intermediate program. I think your advise is solid and want to emphasize it to Cory.

If he is not above body weight on the main lifts he is likely getting too little stress and too much rest on 5/3/1 and would be better off on one of the 5x5 plans.

If he listens and executes what you said in a 3 or 5 rep routine he will be strong as hell and very tired in 6 months when 5/3/1 is more appropriate.
    Precisely! No point in trying to figure out max %’s at this stage; enjoy the workout to workout gains for as long as possible. Stick to compound movements and stay fresh for the next workout.

I've never used any supplement of any kind. Can someone recommend something that helps reduce soreness post workout?
    l-glutamine...actually works.

Thanks guys.

Tomorrow I'm going to sit down with my note book, and take a look at changing away from 531. I guess I didn't realize that it's considered more "intermediate". I'm absolutely not an intermediate lifter. I'm in decent health, not weak, just not at the experience or strength level.

I'm going to write out some plans for an A/B progressive style program like laid out here. I recognize stronglifts is considered best by many, so I may try to see if I can get something like that to work for me.

That said, I may still look into the BCAA options for soreness. Increased weight, or volume is likely to increase soreness.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    @cor_man257You could try running a one lift a day version of Starting Strength like this:g.
    Curious, Why 1 lift a day?

My Starting Strength affiliate coach has me doing two workouts a week instead of three. His primary demographic is oldies, so unfortunately that’s all he offers. He’s also modified it so we do one top set of each instead of three. Approaching 6 months in, I haven’t experienced any moderate to serious soreness since the first week or so.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Curious, Why 1 lift a day?

My Starting Strength affiliate coach has me doing two workouts a week instead of three. His primary demographic is oldies, so unfortunately that’s all he offers. He’s also modified it so we do one top set of each instead of three. Approaching 6 months in, I haven’t experienced any moderate to serious soreness since the first week or so.
    Only one lift a day since that what is Cor-Man257 said worked for him. You keep doing what you are doing you Oldie! 🤣🤣

Btw, coming to Dallas in April! Hopefully Hard 8’s is open braw!

Thanks guys.

Tomorrow I'm going to sit down with my note book, and take a look at changing away from 531. I guess I didn't realize that it's considered more "intermediate". I'm absolutely not an intermediate lifter. I'm in decent health, not weak, just not at the experience or strength level.

I'm going to write out some plans for an A/B progressive style program like laid out here. I recognize stronglifts is considered best by many, so I may try to see if I can get something like that to work for me.

That said, I may still look into the BCAA options for soreness. Increased weight, or volume is likely to increase soreness.

-Cory
    You’re welcome; honestly soreness is mostly due to volume and why I originally recommended sets of 3.

Don’t waste money on bullshit supplements, just eat, sleep, and progressively overload on a consistent basis. It is really that easy. Where people go wrong is they do 8 different bullshit exercises and switch things up week to week. The lifts need to be the same and they should be heavy compound lifts.

User Tag List