Page 171 of 175 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 1749

Thread: Weight Lifting

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I had to look back. 2 years ago

I'd actually be curious to see where I'm at with that now.

I just hit a bench pr with 225x20 last night.

Oh, yeah. After that 21 rep set I went up

Dude. That is simply impressive!

The feeling you get when you are reaching failure on heavy hi rep deadlifts is something rather unique.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    I threw up once after doing 315 pounds for 15 Reps deep all the way down old school front squads.

My single should have been better, but I did a 450-pound Front Squat all the way down at Gibson's gym in Manchester Connecticut long time ago.

Your style of lifting, and your stories are some of my favorite. If I could go back in time and lift in any era, it would be yours.

315 x 15 front squat makes me want to puke just thinking about it. Crazy. 450? Insane.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Your style of lifting, and your stories are some of my favorite. If I could go back in time and lift in any era, it would be yours.

315 x 15 front squat makes me want to puke just thinking about it. Crazy. 450? Insane.
    . The 315 set for 15 was a workout I did with two other guys both of them where stronger than I was on Front and back squats.

The 450 I did a few Months later it was spotted by a dude who was a Track -- indoor & outdoor 1976-79. Captain 1979. Event -- hammer throw. All American division II 1978, 79. NCAA Division II national championships 1978, 79. National champion 1979. NCAA Division II record holder, 1979. New England collegiate champion 1979. Eastern collegiate champion 1979. U.S. national sports festival, eastern team, 1979. U.S. Olympics trials 1980. NCAA Division I participant 1978, 79. Gladstone award 1979.

He was doing over 500 pounds on the front squat ... I saw him do 525 pounds on the deadlift for sets of 10 reps after doing Squats he was using straps.
    Brad Olson was his name. he put on weight after collage and was over 300 pounds in shape.
    Name:  y4xww2w1durfg58y.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  41.3 KB
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 02-11-2024 at 12:47 AM.

I tried 225 again. Same as last time, some light shoulder band work, about 20-25 empty bar reps, and then hit it.

https://youtu.be/dNAYLIjrUCk?si=LOMoBI_9_lYmYhQ7

Better form this time. Butt stayed on the bench, heels on the ground. I think my previously injured right shoulder (which is always sore, and occassionaly gives me pain) is actually stronger than my uninjured left shoulder. Guessing thats part of the left/right balance.

It felt smoother. Felt better. I'll take it

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I tried 225 again. Same as last time, some light shoulder band work, about 20-25 empty bar reps, and then hit it.

https://youtu.be/dNAYLIjrUCk?si=LOMoBI_9_lYmYhQ7

Better form this time. Butt stayed on the bench, heels on the ground. I think my previously injured right shoulder (which is always sore, and occassionaly gives me pain) is actually stronger than my uninjured left shoulder. Guessing thats part of the left/right balance.

It felt smoother. Felt better. I'll take it
    FWIW... I find that warming up with negative reps at half weight is the best way for me to ready my broken parts for heavier weight.

And I'm envious of your gym setup. I wish I had the space...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    FWIW... I find that warming up with negative reps at half weight is the best way for me to ready my broken parts for heavier weight.

And I'm envious of your gym setup. I wish I had the space...
    Thanks! It's a small one car garage, and I use about half of it for the gym. I have no space on either side of the overhead door and don't have enough height for OHP if the door is up. Plus I use the other garage space or laundry, tools, and storage. Wish I had more space but I've really maximized my usage as best as I can.

In late '19 I got my first rack and weight set for $250.
    Name:  Screenshot_20240215_093240_Instagram.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  24.7 KB

In '20 mirrors (free)and two rubber mats (about $40).
    Name:  Screenshot_20240215_093442_Instagram.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  47.1 KB

And last spring I had a ruined barbell, and a rack that was rusty, flaking, and didnt have removable j hooks... meaning i had to use more floor space for it. That prompted a large Rogue purchase.

Here is my gym today, and a post I made about it when others were making out like getting a home gym was impossible.
    Name:  IMG_20231226_193933_392.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  41.6 KBName:  20231226_183928.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  56.5 KB

I've slowly added to the garage gym over time. Some have been massive leaps like the Rogue rack and weights, or the day I got
    the mirrors and mats.

Most have been small improvements like the TV, kettlebells, roller, bands, or the fan. Some DIY like my deadlift jack or plate storage.

Plenty have been marketplace finds like the Rogue bench, air assault bike, or the plyo boxes I got today for $10 each.

It's not perfect. But I like it.
    Last edited by Cory; 02-15-2024 at 10:02 AM.

Site Supporter
    Noticed some pretty tight, near pain tension in the right knee doing squats tonight. Will be giving it a bit of time to rest and re-evaluate, and worst case I'll be backing off of squats momentarily while doing other workouts to prevent injury. That's one of the bigger pills to swallow - your body dictates, not what the log book or your ego says.

Haven't slept well all week, and I let my diet slip for the last couple weeks. That might be a big part of it, but again, avoiding injury is far more important than the plate count to me.

Working sets (17Feb2024)
    Lowbar squat - 190x5x3 - pay attention to the right knee over the next few days, see if the tight/pain passes. It wasn't muscular.

OH press - 103x5x3 - I've always had a weak upper body, with not-happy shoulders and relatively long arms. I'm using fractional weights in an effort to keep from getting stuck, which is a lot easier than breaking a series of being stuck.

Dead - 295x3 - ran out of gas pretty hardcore at rep 3 out of 5, and called it. It may be time to reduce increments and introduce other exercises.

Overall, 44 days later and taking a systematic approach and focusing on form (all working weight):

low bar SQ x5 x3- 145 to 190 - 23%+
    OH press x5 x3- 75 to 103 - 27%+
    B press x5 x3- 90 to 124 - 27%+
    DL x3 - 225 to 285 - 21%+

I’ve started using the fractional plates too on my bench and press. Wish I’d thought about it sooner

I'm pretty excited about my bench. My goal is 10 reps at body weight (185). I may not get there but 3 weeks ago my trainer and I started to focus on depth. Prior to this I'd been able to do 2x10/145 lbs. but it always felt like a bit of a cheat in terms of depth. Last workout was 1x10/95, 2x10/115, 1x7/135 to failure, 1x10/115 de-load; all this touching my chest. I'm finding this much more satisfying even if I never get to 185. Two years ago my left shoulder range of motion was so limited I couldn't press the bar. Now I can do elevated bench flys with 40 lb dumbbells and dumbbell presses with 50 lbs. Similar depth progress with my squat where my squat de-load set has me touching the rack safety bars.

Squatted 10 sets of 10 with 225lbs last night. Felt good without getting fried.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

User Tag List