Page 101 of 173 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1722

Thread: Weight Lifting

Site Supporter
    Hit 315 x 12 on squats today. In the past I did 315 x 15, but this time I went deeper, so I actually feel better about this set. When I got done, I did one set of 135 x 40 and then 135 x 20. That was enough for the day.

While I was hoping to hit 20 reps, I feel pretty good. Went deep enough, and I was tired and not well feed to be going for a PR like that. I rolled out of bed, ate some PB and crackers, water, and diet pepsi and headed to the gym. My weight is right around 180 right now.

Now it's time to cycle through focusing more on my upper body.

How is everyone else doing?

Ups and downs. Back teaching 5 days of in person I struction and 4 kids in the home. Currently doing a pen and paper strength program that focuses mostly upper. Going to a squat focused program next I think.

I just keep finding that I am losing my interest which is unlike me

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How is everyone else doing?
    I have had problem after problem physically, and haven't been able to lift regularly in 6 months at this point. It's been a real struggle.

A shoulder injury sidelined me for months, until I saw a lot of doctors and began PT for it. No surgery thankfully. Eventually getting back to lifting and HATING squats.

I then developed a rather embarrassing problem common to those who are novice lifters and hold their breath a bit wrong. It's painful, uncomfortable, itchy, and.... embarrassing. With the worlds most unpleseant medication it's finally resolved. Lifting with that issue would have prolonged the uncomfortablness of sitting.

Now, I cut one of my index fingers pretty decent at work. Every time I grip tight I reopen it. It's okay for regular tasks... but I'm waiting a bit for it to seal up better before lifting.

Everytime it's hard to get restarted, and I lower the weight. I can't wait to get back to normal. I had less than 1 year of solid 3 days a week when I goofed my shoulder. I miss feeling strong, and impressing myself. I can't wait to restart again soon.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Ups and downs. Back teaching 5 days of in person I struction and 4 kids in the home. Currently doing a pen and paper strength program that focuses mostly upper. Going to a squat focused program next I think.

I actually know how you feel. Hitting the gym is something I detest. It's the side effects that I do it for. With you I am probably preaching to the choir, but it doesn't hurt to hear it again.

Have you done a 20 rep squat program before? 315 x 20 is not an amazing number, but it's pretty decent. While I didn't achieve, the pursuit of it distracted me from the stress of life and has paid dividends.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I have had problem after problem physically, and haven't been able to lift regularly in 6 months at this point. It's been a real struggle.

A shoulder injury sidelined me for months, until I saw a lot of doctors and began PT for it. No surgery thankfully. Eventually getting back to lifting and HATING squats.

I then developed a rather embarrassing problem common to those who are novice lifters and hold their breath a bit wrong. It's painful, uncomfortable, itchy, and.... embarrassing. With the worlds most unpleseant medication it's finally resolved. Lifting with that issue would have prolonged the uncomfortablness of sitting.

Now, I cut one of my index fingers pretty decent at work. Every time I grip tight I reopen it. It's okay for regular tasks... but I'm waiting a bit for it to seal up better before lifting.

Everytime it's hard to get restarted, and I lower the weight. I can't wait to get back to normal. I had less than 1 year of solid 3 days a week when I goofed my shoulder. I miss feeling strong, and impressing myself. I can't wait to restart again soon.

Yea but you're not giving up and that alone should make you feel pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I actually know how you feel. Hitting the gym is something I detest. It's the side effects that I do it for. With you I am probably preaching to the choir, but it doesn't hurt to hear it again.

Have you done a 20 rep squat program before? 315 x 20 is not an amazing number, but it's pretty decent. While I didn't achieve, the pursuit of it distracted me from the stress of life and has paid dividends.
    I have not, can you lay it out for me? I've done squatober twice and plan on doing it again in August for shits and giggles

Site Supporter
    I have not, can you lay it out for me? I've done squatober twice and plan on doing it again in August for shits and giggles

There is no one set program, but the general idea seems to be finding your "10 rep max" and then doing that for 20 reps. Basically you are resting several seconds between reps and breathing in between the reps. Like I read on the Starting Strength forums, I doubt many people can really do their 10 rep max for 20 reps, no matter how much they pause. What you can do is get stronger and increase endurance by doing 20 rep squats for a short period. It's also kind of a gut check and an exercise in mental toughness.

What I did was lift 2x a week, adding 10 pounds each time, and did that until I got to 315. Think I started around 225 maybe. This time I skipped around a lot and jumped weight quicker than you really should. 20 rep squats is something I will only do 1-2 times a year. One program I did had me squatting 20 reps three times a week, but that was just too much.

You may find it is not all that bad and that you can recover and do them with little issue.

One way I might do the program is as follows.

For Bench, OHP, deadlifts, I would do the minimum to maintain my strength levels, especially with deads. It is my suggestion that you go easy on deadlifts, if you do them at all, while running this short program.

Then squat 20 reps twice a week.

Let’s say your max squat is 405, 60% of that is around 245. In that case I would start somewhere between 225-245 and then squat twice a week adding 10 pounds each time. If it gets too tough the heavier you get, add 5 pounds.

Don’t let your other lifts interfere with the squats. It is a short program and squatting is the focus. You are just trying to maintain with the other lifts.

Don’t do this for longer than 6 weeks. Rippitoe even mentioned just squatting once a week for 20 reps, but I think his idea is starting heavier. Andy Baker agreed with him.

295 x 20 or 315 x 12 may not sound like a lot, but when you do them, it’s a pretty intense experience. At least for me.

There are tons of good videos and articles on 20 rep squats that will have you doing them the "proper" way. My way is ideas I have taken from different lifters and articles and made my own combo.

@Hizzie would be better to ask on this than I would.

One of the things that’s worked for me is to combine exercise with an interior activity- prayer, podcasts, music. I wind up looking forward to the workout for the sake of the playlist, or the devotion, or the next chapter. It helps.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    One of the things that’s worked for me is to combine exercise with an interior activity- prayer, podcasts, music. I wind up looking forward to the workout for the sake of the playlist, or the devotion, or the next chapter. It helps.
    I do that as well, not as well lately.

Site Supporter
    I do that as well, not as well lately.

I have actually got out of the habit of listening to music or audio books while working out. At least the vast majority of the time.

Surprisingly, it has improved my workouts and my focus. It also adds to the mental challenge of focusing on overcoming yourself. This is a bit of an idea I got from David Goggins.

It doesn't work for everyone, and if I were single and I could find the time to do 2-3 hour marathon workout sessions, then maybe I would use music or audiobooks.

For 30-60 minutes, I can handle.

Again, everyone is different, and no one way in this regard is better. Do whatever it takes to stay in the gym and active.

User Tag List