Page 173 of 175 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175 LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 1749

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    If you're doing 205 for 10 the 225 should be cake. I bet you could even rep with 255
    I've done some sets at 225, but not with my current depth. I'm trying to figure out how to work heavier with the depth of my de-load set, probably by increasing that de-load set weight and maybe dropping reps. I might even try four working sets of 5 reps at 215 or 225 just to see how it feels.

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    I've done some sets at 225, but not with my current depth. I'm trying to figure out how to work heavier with the depth of my de-load set, probably by increasing that de-load set weight and maybe dropping reps. I might even try four working sets of 5 reps at 215 or 225 just to see how it feels.
    One thing I've tried in the past to address squat depth is heavy-ish singles. I found that only doing one rep left me free to concentrate entirely on doing that rep correctly, and not subconsciously "saving" energy for the later reps by cheating the depth a bit. Also, if you're using video to review your squats you could use that time as your rest period, and then immediately do another single rep applying what you saw from the video. I did that and learned a lot in a short period of time about what I was actually doing in the squat, as opposed to what I felt like I was doing.

Site Supporter
    I'm starting from the bottom to yet again to try to get strong. Some light squatting, chest press and dumbell bench to avoid screwing up my shoulder even worse, and some kettelbell stuff on the days I'm home and the wife's working.

Let's make something clear....I have not deadlifted since 2022....and my 1RM at that point was about 275 with a belt on and at the height of my training and I felt pretty good. I always feel better when I'm stronger, I've just been doing other stuff and sorta focused on cardio for 2023.

My gym has a trap bar and I remember I loved those things back in 2020‐2021 but after getting married and moving around a bunch I just pulled a traditional deadlift and played around a bit with sumo. But with the new house, I think I'm here for a while. There's a gym down the street that's open 24hrs.

So I was testing my max and I picked 300lbs up off the floor without a belt (forgot the damn thing) and I felt like I could have done 315 but decided against possible injury.

I've never lifted that much weight in my damn life. Is it just because a trap bar is way easier? I haven't lifted seriously in more than a year and I have a hard time thinking strength gains are that durable but idk. I feel like it's a useful piece of equipment for lower body strength, but I figured I'd check with the PF hive mind.

I started using a trap bar after having some lower back pain with the straight bar. I think I can lift more weight with it than the straight bar. I know the Starting Strength crowd is anti trap bar but it has allowed me to keep deadlifting. Once on a while I think about switching back and see how it goes.

The trap bar does make it "easier," and that is why it is such a useful piece of equipment: it permits you to lift heavier weights than you might be able to lift with a conventional barbell deadlift. To my mind, unless you're training to compete in a powerlifting meet where you must do a conventional barbell deadlift, then lift with whatever equipment works because some lifting is better than no lifting. If use of a barbell is a barrier to lifting, ditch the barbell.

For myself, I do both barbell and trap-bar deadlifts because I get bored just doing the same lift over and over again and I'm not training for competition.
    Last edited by oregon45; 04-11-2024 at 11:20 AM.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post

So I was testing my max and I picked 300lbs up off the floor without a belt (forgot the damn thing) and I felt like I could have done 315 but decided against possible injury.

I've never lifted that much weight in my damn life. Is it just because a trap bar is way easier? I haven't lifted seriously in more than a year and I have a hard time thinking strength gains are that durable but idk. I feel like it's a useful piece of equipment for lower body strength, but I figured I'd check with the PF hive mind.
    Trap bars are easier but useful and many think they prevent injury.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Is it just because a trap bar is way easier?
    There's a couple factors going into this.

Many hex bars have two sets of handles. The higher set will have a smaller range of motion, so will be easier.

Arms to the side rather than forward is easier/more natural for many to keep their upper back and shoulders in a good position, so they are not limited by a weird engagement of traps, or a weakness in lats, or a little pain in all the stupid little shoulder muscles and tendons.

Many unconsciously start in a more upright position with a hex bar than with a deadlift. It can be more of a squatting movement this way. (It doesn't have to be, but it's the way many/most folks do it). It's easier to keep a rigid lower back and get/keep a good brace when you aren't bent over as much. Keeping the weight close to the body but also clearing the knees is easier technically.

If you don't want to compete, and you have access to the trap bar and prefer, there is no reason not to use it.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

I know this is a weight lifting thread but I think running has been covered here before so I want to ask members who run a question.

I ran my first 5k today for no other reason than I’ve been running a bit lately and wanted to see what I could do. I’m not 100% sure of my official time, I just caught the clock as I was finishing and I came in under 24 minutes. Is this a decent time for first timer? Im not looking to become a competitor but I’d like to be a decent runner while retaining my strength.

I have no clue and didn’t want to compare myself against the field as it seemed like those in front of me were really seasoned (very thin) runners and those behind me were out for fun. There was no “cluster”, around me I was by myself crossing the line. I’m not a big guy by any means but holy shit I felt like Ronnie Coleman there.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    I know this is a weight lifting thread but I think running has been covered here before so I want to ask members who run a question.

I ran my first 5k today for no other reason than I’ve been running a bit lately and wanted to see what I could do. I’m not 100% sure of my official time, I just caught the clock as I was finishing and I came in under 24 minutes. Is this a decent time for first timer? Im not looking to become a competitor but I’d like to be a decent runner while retaining my strength.

I have no clue and didn’t want to compare myself against the field as it seemed like those in front of me were really seasoned (very thin) runners and those behind me were out for fun. There was no “cluster”, around me I was by myself crossing the line. I’m not a big guy by any means but holy shit I felt like Ronnie Coleman there.
    Sounds good to me but I’m almost 59 and last year I was around 45 minutes ( had to alternate running and walking due to a leg issue). The year before I ran it about 35 or so. I don’t run regularly due to an old knee injury but have been rowing and biking and rucking for cardio

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post

I ran cross country in highschool so my data is old and the only reason I did it was to get ready for the infantry. Decent times back then were around 18 minutes or under. The actual competitors were runnings under 16 minutes (about 5 and some change).

How old are you? I would say thats a perfectly good time to start with and you can start chipping away at it. My plan is to use this summer to get back into cardio shape.

User Tag List