Page 80 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Site Supporter
    Squats and dead lifts work.

On Monday my brother and I hiked the Guadalupe Mountains for the fourth time. The area we hiked was remote, rugged, and no other people were around.

My total load out probably weighed around 20-25 pounds.

The hike we chose was tough, and was one heck of a leg workout. I credit the amount of heavy and/or hi rep squats and dead lfits I have been doing with making it easier.

It was not easy, but I preformed better than I ever have, and on the hardest long duration incline I have climbed.

This was the most obvious thing I have done that showed me lifting heavy weight can make a difference.

Of course my body is still feeling the hike, so no squats or deads until next week.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 12-18-2019 at 09:32 PM.

Site Supporter
    After my hike my body was not fully recovered, but I went to the gym anyway. In one session on Friday I did light weight 6 x 10 of OHP, Squats, and Deadlifts.

Monday I woke up in the early morning with intense pain, but was finally able to sleep some. After waking up later that morning I leaned over to pull my socks up and BOOM. I was on the ground in absolute misery.

It felt like a severe cramp in my upper inner thigh. After sometime I was able to get the muscle to relax enough via eating mustard, taking ibuprofen, drinking tonic water and moving around some. It still hurt pretty good, but was no longer unbearable.

Went to the doctor that afternoon, and he said I needed to take two weeks off from lifting or I was at risk of fully tearing the muscle. He also prescribed me a muscle relaxer. Prescribed medicine is something I take very little of, and after taking two of those on my off days, I never want to take muscle relaxers again. They made me feel like I hadn't slept in a week kind of tired.

The leg is better, but is still tender. I went to the gym and did a very light arm workout, but even as I my body tired doing that, I could tell I was putting some strain on my leg.

The duty belt is no fun either, as very much walking makes the pain flare up.

Be smarter than me, when your body is telling you it's not ready to lift, listen.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 12-25-2019 at 07:14 PM.

Hit some new PRs during the week of my 30th birthday: squat 450, bench 240 (sucks), and deadlift 540.

I started with Starting Strength in 2015 and I’ve done some Barbell Medicine programs, now working with a Strength and Conditioning coach hired by my work.

Highly recommend Barbell Medicine’s stuff on pain and rehab. Run by a couple doctors who also lift at the national competitive level. Their recent podcast on low back pain at Fort Irwin is great.

Coach has me doing cluster sets recently: 60 total reps at 63% (285 for my squat), broken into sets however I want, but only 45 seconds between sets. It sucks. I did sets of 6, then dropped to sets of 3 once I got tired about 30 reps in, bumped back up to sixes to finish. Seems to have helped with some hypertrophy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Hit some new PRs during the week of my 30th birthday: squat 450, bench 240 (sucks), and deadlift 540.

I started with Starting Strength in 2015 and I’ve done some Barbell Medicine programs, now working with a Strength and Conditioning coach hired by my work.

Highly recommend Barbell Medicine’s stuff on pain and rehab. Run by a couple doctors who also lift at the national competitive level. Their recent podcast on low back pain at Fort Irwin is great.

Coach has me doing cluster sets recently: 60 total reps at 63% (285 for my squat), broken into sets however I want, but only 45 seconds between sets. It sucks. I did sets of 6, then dropped to sets of 3 once I got tired about 30 reps in, bumped back up to sixes to finish. Seems to have helped with some hypertrophy.

Dude who cares about your bench? Your deadlift is sick! How tall and what is your body weight?

I can bench about 235, but I much prefer to spend my time deadlifting and squatting. I actually hate squatting and DLs more, but I enjoy the benefits of them. Other than my sickly thigh muscle. lol

Oops, meant to include my weight, I’m around 195-198. Can’t seem to stay over the 200 mark. I’m 6’1”.

I only care about my bench because I do aim to compete, and in that case, all three matter. Also my wife wants my arms to be bigger (but she also lambasts the guys at the gym who clearly skip leg day).

Every day is leg day for me. I enjoy squats and DLs more although they’re harder and more taxing. I actually love doing OHP and would love to put up a body weight OHP but it seems a long way off.

Of course, 500 DL once felt a long way off too.

my fingers for battle.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Anyone here use a pulley system with a power rack? I've seen Spud Inc mentioned in a few places, but it's a little expensive for a random experiment.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    "The ability to achieve the same fitness improvements while completing 1/3 less overall training volume is a win/win for the athlete. He or she has to dedicate less time to fitness training, and the lower volume decreases the impact on the athlete’s body in the short and long term."
    I think volume will be highly dependent on training age. There’s no indication of training age in the study participants. New trainees, whose bodies are not adapted to stress, will see more improvement from less volume than experienced trainees.

Front squats around 225 indicates relatively new trainees, I think.

My experience and knowledge, however, is mostly limited to powerlifting; I know very little about cardio work.

my fingers for battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Anyone here use a pulley system with a power rack? I've seen Spud Inc mentioned in a few places, but it's a little expensive for a random experiment.
    Chance, Amazon has the Lifeline System. Maybe that would work?

https://smile.amazon.com/stores/Life...b-ci-n=shopNow

Edit: I now see that a power rack is needed. My bad.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 12-26-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    It’s not terribly overpriced, but you can do good enough for a lot less.

https://www.amazon.com/CARAPEAK-Clim...397822&sr=8-14

Get these, some polyester rope and a couple carabiners. Shouldn’t cost more than $35 total.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I’ve had a bunch of good lifts lately. I’m hovering around 197lbs at 5’10”.

285 Close Grip Bench Press
    http://instagram.com/p/B5wIeGvpz28/

215 Swiss Bar OHP
    http://instagram.com/p/B6gq-feJ9kU/

355 SSB Front Squat
    http://instagram.com/p/B6grgKkJxv-/

495 Trap Bar Deadlift
    http://instagram.com/p/B6jyNLPJY3Q/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List