Page 44 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Just to be clear; not my idea. Came from “barbell medicine” 2 docs who were starting strength coaches and fragmented off from the main org. (Big drama; don’t ask/not my my circus)
    Yeah, I sort of wish I'd missed the sideshow. Unfortunate. They all have something to contribute. I'm really liking Dr. Sullivan and Andy Baker's input via "The Barbell Prescription".
    There's nothing civil about this war.

If you watch youtube. Brian Alrsuhe and Alan Thrall have very good content. They also explain some common lifts very well.

I also agree with the comment on 1234 for a measure to start with. It is easy and gives you a simple goal.

I suck at squatting but my deadlift is pretty decent. My elite fts bar has been awesome. I have only had two good workouts with it but can tell a big difference already for my squats. Also saves my shoulders/back.

You guys are throwing out so awesome info. here thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I switched up the order and did the OHP first. I was able to do 100 for 3 x 5 and probably could have done more. In addition the 265 squat felt better than when I started off with squats in the past.

Lucky man I'm going to look at implementing your idea next week. Thank you.
    Resist the urge to change too much too fast. You made a little tweak, I would recommend sticking with your current program and milking that for all it's worth. Don't worry you will stall again, then try something else. If you change the order of exercises, the programming, and you see results, what really made the difference?

We all like results, but don't rob yourself of future diagnostic tools, to eek out a little more today.
    Last edited by txdpd; 03-28-2018 at 01:10 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Resist the urge to change too much too fast. You made a little tweak, I would recommend sticking with your current program and milking that for all it's worth. Don't worry you will stall again, then try something else. If you change the order of exercises, the programming, and you see results, what really made the difference?

We all like results, but don't rob yourself of future diagnostic tools, to eek out a little more today.
    Correct and thank you.

I think I may change squats to my second exercise each workout. Unless you all think this is a bad idea.

I contacted a starting strength coach, and for 200 dollars I get a 90 minute session with them at their main facility. They will evaluate my lifts and g over programming with me. Do you all think it would be worth it?

Sadly I have no one to workout with, and I am unsure of the quality of the training local to me. Even though it would be cheaper and I would get more sessions.

Site Supporter
    Correct and thank you.

I think I may change squats to my second exercise each workout. Unless you all think this is a bad idea.

I contacted a starting strength coach, and for 200 dollars I get a 90 minute session with them at their main facility. They will evaluate my lifts and g over programming with me. Do you all think it would be worth it?

Sadly I have no one to workout with, and I am unsure of the quality of the training local to me. Even though it would be cheaper and I would get more sessions.
    I spent the money on a session and was glad I did. But that is a very personal calculation. I would strongly encourage you to a least video yourself and send it in to get form checks on some starting-strength-related site. If cash flow is a consideration that gets you maybe a quarter of the value of a personal session at zero cost.

Correct and thank you.

I'd get videos and ask for form checks first. This thread, some who post in this thread, starting strength forum, Exercise section of bodybuilding.com https://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9, etc

Correct and thank you.

Hey Newbie,

I wouldn't discourage you from visiting a coach but video reviews can be helpful too. When I was faithfully following the SS program the video reviews at the SS forum were very helpful. You can have your technique reviewed here - https://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forum155/ If you become a verified user you can submit reviews to the coach's forum. There are videos at the website too that demonstrate proper technique and common problems.

Microplates can be helpful too. I used microplates from Dan to add fractional lbs to the bar on the press and the squat - https://startingstrength.com/resourc...ates-sale.html

I really do have to ditch the excuses and get back in the gym.

Correct and thank you.

I don't think that $200 at WFAC will be a waste of your money. With the caveat, that if you haven't already, buy Starting Strength and read the book and get with their exact program for at least a few weeks.

If you want them PM an address and I'll drop some 1.25lb's in the mail. That's more than micro enough for OHP.
    Last edited by txdpd; 03-28-2018 at 08:27 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Correct and thank you.

I just got a similar session from an SSC in Albuquerque after doing SS LP, advanced novice, and TM since 2015. I’d recommend it. At the beginning I had a buddy that worked out with me but no one recently. Videoing my lifts for self-critiquing helped but I had some form and programming questions that deserved a more in-depth, paid session.

Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    If you want them PM an address and I'll drop some 1.25lb's in the mail. That's more than micro enough for OHP.
    Don’t want to step on you but an easy way to make microplates is with 2” washers. I found some at a hardware store (MAC’s), and used Gorilla glue to stick two together. They weigh about 0.5-0.6 lbs each; I used a kitchen scale to get a good number.

But remember that plates from gym to gym or even in the same gym vary in weight. With “405” on the bar your 1.25 lbs of change plates could be inconsequential if there’s 5+ lbs of variance amongst those plates.

Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

User Tag List