Page 5 of 175 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post

I'd like to get down to 205 consistently and build strength. Will incorporating creatine for strength building purposes make it hard to lose weight?
    It may cause you to put on a little extra water in your initial loading phase, but overall the answer is no.

It will aid in your muscle recovery and endurance. It has also been shown to have some nootropic effects; better focus, slight mood stabilization, better sleep. It's one of the best studied and very clearly the most beneficial supplement as far as the science is concerned.

I've been working too much and letting the kids get to me. However, the cold months are coming, which means I need to get back to being serious about weights again. I do a good bit of manual labor on my property in the spring and summer, so it isn't as important for maintenance for me, but I lose my gains if I can't work out at last 3x a week in the winter.

I like to mix in my creatine with my bulletproof coffee of a morning, and a little into a slow protein shake (egg based or casein powder usually) as I wind down for bed. I take it in my coffee even when I'm not working out regularly, because it has all those other benefits too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Started lifting about 18 months ago with strong lifts 5x5, discovered I have degenerative disc disease so I have forgone squats and deads in favor of leg presses for now. 6'0 started at ~165 currently ~195

A couple of things I will throw in here.

First, I second (or third or fourth) the recommendation to listen and read what Larry L. has written on TPI about S&C, fat loss, and nutrition. His advice is free, easy for anyone to implement (not easy to continue since that requires discipline and commitment, but easy to start on. There is no need for tons of equipment of a Masters degree to understand his advice). I would also tell you to reach out to him by PM as well. He will answer you and truly does not want to help. Just be prepared to not be coddled (to say the least!).

Second, read some of Dan John's books or articles. Dan is a former national level track athlete who has become a large figure in the S&C world. One of the things I like about his work is that he is older himself (late 50's I believe) and so much of his work is about staying healthy and vital as you age - he is not just focused on the elite athlete. I particularly love his book Never Let Go, and his newer two books, Intervention and Can You Go?. Never Let Go is an easier read since it is a compilation of articles, but the other two are his most recent works based on the most current real world findings. He also has a bunch of free articles at his website - http://danjohn.net/

Third - and this is the one I resisted for so long even against Craig Douglas' advice for a long time - GET A COACH! Find someone who knows what they are doing and can actually coach you on the correct execution of the lifts. Even exercises as simple as a bench press has a ton of little things that make a huge difference in results. When I finally listened to Craig and found a legit and certified Powerlifting coach I was shocked how many things I was doing wrong. I should not have been, since I see all the time teaching combatives/H2H how people can miss so many details, but for some reason I thought weightlifting was simple. It really isn't. Take some time to learn, and you will absolutely see results soon, even if you have stagnated (as I did).
    Last edited by Cecil Burch; 10-08-2015 at 12:02 PM.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Regarding nights, how much different are the health effects of working evenings (3rd shift 4-12) vs midnights ( 1st shift 12-8) ?
    HCM, I don't know. There's probably some data but I am not aware. The studies that I've seen were mostly about sleep deprivation and disruption of circadian cycle. I think that 3rd shift could effect that too, not as much as 1st but still..

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Genetics man. Fast twitchers. My son's fire support NCO on his deployment weighed about 175/180 and would do weighted chins for reps with 135 hanging from his waist. I saw Craig years ago at Given's place teaching in a seminar and he ain't THAT big. So those weights he is pushing are pretty BA.
    IIRC, Craig's lifting coach is pulling 600+ pound deadlifts.

...at 135 pounds.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    IIRC, Craig's lifting coach is pulling 600+ pound deadlifts.

...at 135 pounds.
    Dafuq!?!? Talk about punching above your weight class.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    HCM, I don't know. There's probably some data but I am not aware. The studies that I've seen were mostly about sleep deprivation and disruption of circadian cycle. I think that 3rd shift could effect that too, not as much as 1st but still..
    I worked several years of first shift in my 20s. What I found was it wasn't that bad if you maintain the same schedule all the time. The problem is even if you have a steady midnight shift it is hard to maintain that same schedule on your days off if you have any type of family life, not to mention going to court, etc.

Third shift wasn't too bad if you maintain the discipline of going to bed within an hour or two of getting home.

Here's Richard pulling 610 4 times suited and belted at a bodyweight of #132

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkRkPigvO9Y

I'm usually working out with him a minimum of twice a week and 4 times a week when I'm home.

My bodyweight has gone from 155 to 185 in about 21 months. Most of that is muscle.

Here he is hitting a total of 1471 at a bodyweight of 130.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcG6oR145h4

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I'm always amazed at guys that are as strong as you are. I know you talked about doing a summary of your programming over on your forum. Have you had time to put that together yet? I'm just a few years younger than you are and I'm losing strength a lot more quickly than I thought possible. I'm 72" and 185 lbs. best squat ever was 245 and that was a few years ago.
    Man honestly it's pretty simple. I squat on Monday, bench on Wednesday, and Deadlift on Friday ideally. I did nothing but this those three lifts for the first year. Volume is basically a four week program with 6x10, 4x8, 3x6, 3x3 and repeat the next month. Gotta' make the reps and the weight increases with each set.

You have to give a program an honest year at a minimum. Anything will really work if you do it long enough, consistently enough, and hard enough.

User Tag List