Page 100 of 175 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1742

Thread: Weight Lifting

Site Supporter
    I started lifting again 4 years ago around the time I turned 40. At that time my father's health and mobility were very poor and he was only 66. I was starting to have some of the same symptoms and issues.

Since then I've been lifting on average 6 days per week. I change my routines up from time to time to not only keep things fresh but also to keep my body from adapting too much to a particular program.

One thing I've found helpful is keeping a training log, much like many here do for their shooting. I keep track of the exercises, sets, reps, weight, and any pertinent observations. I can then refer back to make sure I'm alternating exercises to keep from focusing too much on those I like most. I can also track progress, etc.

I bought some smaller 1.25lb plates and use them along with 2.5lbs as my "old man weights" to make moderate incremental increases in resistance when my current weight is too little but a 5 or 10lb increase may be too much.

I increase my weights when I FEEL I have more to give and what I lift can ebb and flow day to day and week to week based on time of day, calories in, injury, amount of sleep, etc. I can often easily add 10 more lbs to a lift in the afternoon then I can to my normal 5am workout. The training log helps me track everything and know when its time to add some more weight. That said I do not "max out" or go for PRs. I try to lift smart and keep my ego in check. I'm not trying to be a power lifter or compete with 20 somethings in the gym. No one else is paying my orthopedist bill or mortgage or feeding my family if I hurt myself.

Eating and sleep is super important too. I feel too many people try to get stronger or bigger while simultaneously trying to loose weight. I feel those are mutually exclusive. You can get leaner (perhaps) but focus on getting quality calories, enough of them, and on the lifts. Not on the scale. You'll see your clothes fitting better and know well enough from that how you are doing. Did I mention good sleep is very important? Cause it is.

I started 2020 with a trainer 1-2 days per week. Like with shooting, I wanted another set of eyes on my form and to keep me from cheating myself. He also keeps me accountable and focused on the exercises I need to reach my goals and not just those I like the most (i.e. don't skip leg day, etc)

At two weeks shy of 44 I am 6'4" and 253lbs at about 11% body fat. I have no chronic pain or physical complaints. I can play with my 8 and 11 year old boys and keep up and they think I'm "super strong" "like an Avenger". There are few things that make me happier than to be a hero in my boy's eyes!

Sorry @Bio this got a little long winded but I thought it may be helpful. I just wanted to say you got this and go at your own pace!

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I bought some smaller 1.25lb plates and use them along with 2.5lbs as my "old man weights" to make moderate incremental increases in resistance when my current weight is too little but a 5 or 10lb increase may be too much.
    Picking up some Micro Gainz is definitely worth it. Very helpful with programming.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Just need my collars to arrive.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by _JD_ View Post

Oh very nice. That investment will pay off for a lifetime.

Site Supporter

Congrats.

What kind of bar did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Congrats.

What kind of bar did you get?
    Rogue Ohio Bar, with the black zinc. Was also a book face marketplace find.

Took the home gear out for the maiden voyage today.

Smith machines are bullshit. Not having to start from scratch exactly but it's pretty different with a legit bar and weights. [emoji3062]

Hammertime
    Took the home gear out for the maiden voyage today.

Smith machines are bullshit.
    I am so glad to hear you finally say that. But we do what we can with what we have.

You now have a killer barbell set up. This is the way. And you are on the path.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I am so glad to hear you finally say that. But we do what we can with what we have.

You now have a killer barbell set up. This is the way. And you are on the path.
    Oh trust me, I've never been fond of them. It's just what was available. Grip strength is about to go through the roof.

Recently received my Tonal that I ordered in October. They are so backlogged due to gym closings and whatnot, and I couldn’t be more pleased and impressed with this machine.

I’m done with my workout in the same amount of time it took me to drive to the gym.

It’s an investment, but one I consider an investment in myself.

User Tag List