Page 157 of 175 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 1742

Thread: Weight Lifting

I bought the Reebok Lifter PR II that Rogue had on sale.

A Starting Strength gym in greater Cincinnati is hosting the “camp “ . I’ve been deadlifting with a trap bar for several years now so I’ll have to re-adjust.

I’ve made it to the end of the KB road. Currently do not feel comfortable doing a TGU with the Bigfoot but I will get there. Swings feel good though.

Name:  IMG_6043.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  56.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    I’ve made it to the end of the KB road. Currently do not feel comfortable doing a TGU with the Bigfoot but I will get there. Swings feel good though.

Name:  IMG_6043.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  56.1 KB
    I have the orangutan (54 lbs) and keep wanting to buy the gorilla.

Site Supporter
    Finally put some size on my arms and chest.

While changing after lifting, and putting my undershirt on, I realized it was my wife's shirt. While rather uncomfortable, it did what weights couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Finally put some size on my arms and chest.

While changing after lifting, and putting my undershirt on, I realized it was my wife's shirt. While rather uncomfortable, it did what weights couldn't.
    There's a guy I see occasionally in the gym doing deadlifts: 30-ish, 6'2", looks fit but not particularly muscular. He's deadlifting 550 or so. Impresses the hell out of me. Genetics seems to play a pretty big role in how one's body responds to lifting demands. I probably have decent genetics and can still build muscle albeit de-rated by a factor of 2-3, but I'm doing ok in my peer group (or would be doing so if anyone over 70 lifted anything in the gym)

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    There's a guy I see occasionally in the gym doing deadlifts: 30-ish, 6'2", looks fit but not particularly muscular. He's deadlifting 550 or so. Impresses the hell out of me. Genetics seems to play a pretty big role in how one's body responds to lifting demands. I probably have decent genetics and can still build muscle albeit de-rated by a factor of 2-3, but I'm doing ok in my peer group (or would be doing so if anyone over 70 lifted anything in the gym)
    Joe Dellaghelfa – 1978, bodyweight 166 pounds, 1 two-finger chin with 186 pounds.
    That was witness by Ironman magazine at Harford Barbell 1978 .. I put the dumbbell around his waist.

I trained with Joe for a year ...he was not very muscular at all.

He could do a lat pull down with his 2 middle fingers with almost 300 pounds.
    The day he did this lift just using his middle fingers he had 186 pounds strapped around his waist and started from a dead hang ...bodyweight 166 pound.

He did not look strong, but his ligament and tendon strength were off the charts.
    He could crush your hand doing a handshake with you ... I was much bigger and stronger than him, but he could bring me to my knees seeing who could shake hands harder ... felt like a vise grip.
    His Son years later was 16 years old and doing 1 arm dumbbell rows with 150-pound dumbbell for a few reps.

Name:  one.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  45.0 KB

290 pound Close Grip Bench Press

A 70-year-old Male weighing 240 pounds
    Elite Strength Level for Close Grip Bench Press is 250 Pounds

Did a 290-pound Close Grip Bench Press
    https://youtube.com/shorts/m61mJTX0r4I

Last two squat sets today 215 for 10 reps each. I'll have to up my year-end 225 lb. goal somewhat. Bench is still very iffy, but I've widened my grip which appears to be increasing involvement of my chest muscles; still, body weight (185+) might be a bridge too far, but it's the journey.

The other day someone left the incline leg press machine all the way down on the safety catch which I didn't notice until I had already loaded the weights. I don't think someone 4'6" could have gotten in position the press those weights back into the normal detent. Removed the weight, got one leg on the machine with the other leg engaging the lever for stowing the weights. Probably worse than someone leaving weight on the machine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    A 70-year-old Male weighing 240 pounds
    Elite Strength Level for Close Grip Bench Press is 250 Pounds

Did a 290-pound Close Grip Bench Press
    https://youtube.com/shorts/m61mJTX0r4I

That's simply impressive. While I may never be that strong, I hope I am going that hard when I am 70.

Site Supporter
    Cheat day yesterday.

After weed eating and mowing Thursday and Friday, I decided to enjoy a cheat meal.

Went to Culver’s and had two double meat cheeseburger, ate half my wife’s fries and had a couple cups of diet soda. Got home and had two cookies and another diet soda.

Today I lifted out in the heat, mainly accessory work.

Tonight:

OHP, Squats, bench

Squat 405 x 2
    315 x 10

Need better depth on the squat.

Still weighing in less than 170.

I hate going to the gym, but I’m thankful that by God’s grace, luck and some desire that I’m able to workout. It has been a game changer in my life. Weight lifting doesn’t make me a better person than anyone, but it sure makes me feel physically and mentally better than I did in the past.

User Tag List