Page 50 of 175 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

[QUOTE=bofe954;757185]
    Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    I'd like to lose about 20lbs. I know it's diet not exercise. It just seems harder for me to not eat a lot when I am lifting a lot. I'd like to be able to do 12-15 pullups and run 5 miles easily. I think the pullups and running are just a matter of weighing less.

I'm 43, 5'9 about 210. Hadn't lifted much since college. Got back into into it about a year and a half ago. Started Stronglifts 5X5 app in March. Got some gains and have enjoyed it, wouldn't mind doing it again or something similar, maybe in Oct or November. Would just like to focus on weight and cardo for a few months. Would like to go to the gym and lift 2x a week (hopefully keep what I have, or close to it) and then run outside once or twice a week. I do have 24kg and 20kg keg kettlebells (only 1 each) at home I could mess with on non-lifting days.
    So there’s a lot here to “unpack”.

Yes, losing weight will greatly increase your pull-ups and running.

Losing weight while maintaining strength is very difficult. There are ways to accomplish this with nutrition, but it isn’t easy. If this is a goal, I would encourage you to weight train at least 3xs a week. Squat/Deadlift 2xs, pressing once.

Deadlifting is the most effective way of increasing speed for running in the gym. If you are trying to run several times a week, I would not lower the deadlift. Drop it from the top of the lift and pick it back up for another rep. Will greatly reduce soreness, and will keep your body feeling healthy for running.

I’m really trying not sound like a jerk, so please don’t take it this way. Running to a certain extent is mental, if someone held a gun to your head, you could run 5mi right now.

I prefer to run 400m & 800m repeats on a 1:2 work rest ratio. Today I ran 8 x 400, I was running the 400m in about 1:10, and resting 2min in between to maintain the pace. I do this once a week, and have very little issue doing 4-6mi trail runs from time to time. Distance running kills my knees, so i have an obvious bias against it. Haha

I used to do a lot more of it, and truthfully found it didn’t cross over into any other part of my life.

Every year myself and several of my training partners from work do a 110 story stair climb in 65lbs of gear for the 9/11 memorial. Almost every year someone from my work who is a endurance guy will join us. Last year the guy who joined us had done 2 Ironman that year, and had finished really well in them. He fell out on the 83rd floor trying to keep pace with us. That is usually the case with all the long distance endurance guys.

My point is it’s important to have a balance of strength and conditioning. You could train for 5mi runs by doing shorter distance stuff 2xs a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably said it already, but Soflete is the easy button.

[QUOTE=TCFD273;757218]
    Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post

So there’s a lot here to “unpack”.

Yes, losing weight will greatly increase your pull-ups and running.

Losing weight while maintaining strength is very difficult. There are ways to accomplish this with nutrition, but it isn’t easy. If this is a goal, I would encourage you to weight train at least 3xs a week. Squat/Deadlift 2xs, pressing once.

Deadlifting is the most effective way of increasing speed for running in the gym. If you are trying to run several times a week, I would not lower the deadlift. Drop it from the top of the lift and pick it back up for another rep. Will greatly reduce soreness, and will keep your body feeling healthy for running.

I’m really trying not sound like a jerk, so please don’t take it this way. Running to a certain extent is mental, if someone held a gun to your head, you could run 5mi right now.

I prefer to run 400m & 800m repeats on a 1:2 work rest ratio. Today I ran 8 x 400, I was running the 400m in about 1:10, and resting 2min in between to maintain the pace. I do this once a week, and have very little issue doing 4-6mi trail runs from time to time. Distance running kills my knees, so i have an obvious bias against it. Haha

I used to do a lot more of it, and truthfully found it didn’t cross over into any other part of my life.

Every year myself and several of my training partners from work do a 110 story stair climb in 65lbs of gear for the 9/11 memorial. Almost every year someone from my work who is a endurance guy will join us. Last year the guy who joined us had done 2 Ironman that year, and had finished really well in them. He fell out on the 83rd floor trying to keep pace with us. That is usually the case with all the long distance endurance guys.

My point is it’s important to have a balance of strength and conditioning. You could train for 5mi runs by doing shorter distance stuff 2xs a week.

I'd be interested in what you are doing specifically. Knees are an issue for me as well.

What I’ve found to maintain “functional fitness” for me is what I described above.
    Along the line of the "stick with a plan 12 weeks" comment, I got good motivational results from picking a relatively short term goal (say, six months out) and training for that. I had signed up for an EWO class, and had 5 months to get ready. I did huge amounts of "functional intervals" that seemed to me to be grappling-related. Push or pull the weighted sled, medicine ball slams etc etc etc. By the time of the class I got through it ok, even though guys half my age gassed out here and there. But I also did cardio and weights, just a bit downshifted. There were other times I decided to do as many squats and DLs as I could for 8 months just to add muscle; reducing cardio. Something short term, definable, achievable helps (mentally).

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Along the line of the "stick with a plan 12 weeks" comment, I got good motivational results from picking a relatively short term goal (say, six months out) and training for that. I had signed up for an EWO class, and had 5 months to get ready. I did huge amounts of "functional intervals" that seemed to me to be grappling-related. Push or pull the weighted sled, medicine ball slams etc etc etc. By the time of the class I got through it ok, even though guys half my age gassed out here and there. But I also did cardio and weights, just a bit downshifted. There were other times I decided to do as many squats and DLs as I could for 8 months just to add muscle; reducing cardio. Something short term, definable, achievable helps (mentally).
    Yep, always helps to have to “train” for something. 9 months out of the year I do 3-4 days of strength combined with 2 HIIT sessions, and 1 long slow day (hiking), 3 months out from Elk season I drop 1 strength day, lengthen HIIT sessions, and add a weighted pack on my hike.

Generally takes a few months to get the raw strength I lost when working on cardio vascular endurance.

[QUOTE=bofe954;757254]

I'd be interested in what you are doing specifically. Knees are an issue for me as well.
    As I mentioned above 3 months a year my training changes for mountain hunting. I generally take several backpacking trips in early/late fall as well.

I’ll just go over what I did last week, as it changes next week. Also, I work on a rotating schedule, so for simplicity, I’ll lay it out as if I worked Mon-Fri.

Monday:
    Back squat (work up to a heavy triple). Straight leg Deadlift (moderate load, 4 sets of 12)
    8 rounds of-30sec max effort on Airdyne followed by 30 lunges, rest 90sec after each round

Tuesday:
    Bench press (heavy triple, followed by drop sets)
    Barbell row 6 sets of 3 at bench press weight or close to as possible
    Incline dumbbell press (4 sets of 15) supersets with T rows
    4 rounds-max effort dips, max effort pull-ups, 20 lunges, 1min plank.

Wednesday-rest

Thursday:
    Deadlift (heavy triple, then drop sets)
    Back squat 3 sets of 20, 90 sec rest between
    4 rounds-25 American Kettle bell swings, 50 lunges, 40 push-ups

Friday: 8 sets of 3 power cleans
    8x400m sprints 1:2 work rest

Sat: hike 5mi

Depending where your at, that could be a lot of volume. If I was trying to go run a 10k, I’d drop the power cleans and work only on sprinting. I would give myself a rest day or 2, then have 1 day a week I worked on distance.

Generally speaking (depends on if you’re a beginner, intermediate, or advanced lifter), you should stick to one program for 12wks.

I’ve lifted weights for over 20yrs, competed in Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai, MMA, and did Crossfit for several years. My knees were beat to hell, so I cannot follow a typical strength program where you squat 3xs a week anymore. Lunging everyday has taken away all my daily knee pain though.

What I’ve found to maintain “functional fitness” for me is what I described above. Generally working up to a heavy triple, double or single, then dropping and adding volume, then a HIIT circuit (usually body weight, kettlebells, tires). I’ve been able to maintain advance lifter levels and keep my conditioning where I need it to be for my life/career.

It’s important to be able to define what your goals are, and build a program around that.

But, being stronger is advantageous to any endeavor.

Are you my doppelgänger? I also competed in BJJ, MMA, etc. and strongly suggested focusing on compound lifts in the lower rep ranges (1-3) then doing whatever bullshit you want to do before you leave.

People make it too complicated: Strength & Size = Steady Progression, Rest, and Calorie Surplus.. rinse and repeat.

I am going to try lunging more to help out my knees, good tip.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Are you my doppelgänger? I also competed in BJJ, MMA, etc. and strongly suggested focusing on compound lifts in the lower rep ranges (1-3) then doing whatever bullshit you want to do before you leave.

People make it too complicated: Strength & Size = Steady Progression, Rest, and Calorie Surplus.. rinse and repeat.

I am going to try lunging more to help out my knees, good tip.
    Haha sounds like it!

I’d start slow, and work up. If I remember right, it was pretty uncomfortable for a week or 2. Now, even on my rest days I spend 15min warming up, and do some body weight stuff and lunges.

I’ve found, after multiple injuries, that finding a pain free range of motion, and doing it regularly is the best way to prevent pain. I do the same back, hip and shoulder warm up everyday.

Haha sounds like it!

I’d start slow, and work up. If I remember right, it was pretty uncomfortable for a week or 2. Now, even on my rest days I spend 15min warming up, and do some body weight stuff and lunges.

I’ve found, after multiple injuries, that finding a pain free range of motion, and doing it regularly is the best way to prevent pain. I do the same back, hip and shoulder warm up everyday.

I am actually in my garage lifting right now. I did a few body weight sets of lunges prior to my squats; it did seem to help a bit. Hundreds of thousands of double legs sure take their toll.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    I am actually in my garage lifting right now. I did a few body weight sets of lunges prior to my squats; it did seem to help a bit. Hundreds of thousands of double legs sure take their toll.
    Yep, running, double legs, heel hooks, knee bars, more running, squatting with bad form, box jumps, high volume kicking, have I mentioned running? Haha

User Tag List