Page 49 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Anyone have a good weight training app suggestion? Have been doing 5X5 for awhile and really like the app. Want to sit where I am at for awhile as far as weight though, work on reps and run more. Ideal would be the 5X5 app, but it would stop bumping up the weight and allow me to increase the reps on work sets.

Pen and paper.

What have you been doing? There is no singular 5x5 program, lots of programs utilize 5 sets of 5 reps somewhere within them. Though of course if you change the number of reps it probably ceases to be any kind of 5x5 lol
    Last edited by Steaz; 06-28-2018 at 11:39 AM.

Anyone have a good weight training app suggestion? Have been doing 5X5 for awhile and really like the app. Want to sit where I am at for awhile as far as weight though, work on reps and run more. Ideal would be the 5X5 app, but it would stop bumping up the weight and allow me to increase the reps on work sets.
    That's where I am, as well. Except for the overhead press I'd be happy to pause at the weights currently lifted, but I would like to increase the reps. In a practical sense, it seems that the ability to lift a particular weight more times might be useful.

This is not an app, so you'll still want to write your progress down, and there are no guarantees it will work for anybody else.

I add enough weight that 3 sets of 3 reps becomes a meaningful achievement. Thereafter, I keep the sets at 3, but raise the reps when I can (one rep at at time) until I'm at 3 sets of 10 reps. Right now it seems I can add a rep every 4 or 5 workouts, so getting from 3 to 10 takes about 35 workouts. Get to 10 reps, add a bunch of weight and start again at 3x3.

There is no app (although there is a spreadsheet), but here is one example of what the author calls volume-dependent intensity progression.

Weight Lifting

Edited
    Last edited by TCFD273; 06-28-2018 at 08:13 PM.

Weight Lifting

What is your overall goal?

If it is to get stronger and increase cardio vascular endurance, I would look into West Side Barbell, or Conjugate method combined with HIIT training. 5x5 is a fantastic starting program, and I generally use a linear program for a couple of months every year.

I squat and deadlift 2xs a week. I generally work up to a heavy back squat, dead lift, front squat, presses and variations of them (box, chains, pause squats) then drop and add volume. 3 sets of 20 back squats (90sec rest in between) is a good way to “groove” the squat and get some HIIT work in. I also do lunges 7 days a week. It has been a miracle for my knee pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TCFD273; 06-28-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Volume is function of strength. The percentage will vary, whether you are doing body building or power lifting inspired programs, x number of reps at y weight will = z % of your 1rm. One of the better ways to increase reps at a given weight is to improve your 1rm. I wouldn't stop at a given weight and just try to increase reps, I would work on getting stronger and adding some volume as assistance work.

On that note, if you're ready to graduate from a 5x5 beginning strength program, 5/3/1 with the "boring but big" scheme might be worth looking at.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I’ve read enough to barely explain this but for a given intensity and duration of exercise, there are different energy pathways, and you cause different adaptations for each.

Powerlifting encourages neural adaptation. Anything that lasts for less than 15 seconds or so leans on the ATP-ADP pathway. Circuit training will deplete glycogen. Long duration low intensity can burn fat more than glycogen. Different adaptations. Training to do a 20 second squat set does not train you to box 3 minute rounds and vice verse.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    I’ve read enough to barely explain this but for a given intensity and duration of exercise, there are different energy pathways, and you cause different adaptations for each.

Powerlifting encourages neural adaptation. Anything that lasts for less than 15 seconds or so leans on the ATP-ADP pathway. Circuit training will deplete glycogen. Long duration low intensity can burn fat more than glycogen. Different adaptations. Training to do a 20 second squat set does not train you to box 3 minute rounds and vice verse.
    Yes. Strength training is specific. This is why, if you want to get (I hate this buzzword) 'functionally' strong, you want to train in different ways and different rep ranges. Only doing 5x5, or only doing 3x3, or 10x3, or 15x3, or whatever, is a myopic approach.

Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    Yes. Strength training is specific. This is why, if you want to get (I hate this buzzword) 'functionally' strong, you want to train in different ways and different rep ranges. Only doing 5x5, or only doing 3x3, or 10x3, or 15x3, or whatever, is a myopic approach.
    Generally speaking (depends on if you’re a beginner, intermediate, or advanced lifter), you should stick to one program for 12wks.

I’ve lifted weights for over 20yrs, competed in Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai, MMA, and did Crossfit for several years. My knees were beat to hell, so I cannot follow a typical strength program where you squat 3xs a week anymore. Lunging everyday has taken away all my daily knee pain though.

What I’ve found to maintain “functional fitness” for me is what I described above. Generally working up to a heavy triple, double or single, then dropping and adding volume, then a HIIT circuit (usually body weight, kettlebells, tires). I’ve been able to maintain advance lifter levels and keep my conditioning where I need it to be for my life/career.

It’s important to be able to define what your goals are, and build a program around that.

But, being stronger is advantageous to any endeavor.

Last edited by TCFD273; 06-29-2018 at 04:36 PM.

[QUOTE=TCFD273;756836]What is your overall goal?

If it is to get stronger and increase cardio vascular endurance, I would look into West Side Barbell, or Conjugate method combined with HIIT training. 5x5 is a fantastic starting program, and I generally use a linear program for a couple of months every year.

I squat and deadlift 2xs a week. I generally work up to a heavy back squat, dead lift, front squat, presses and variations of them (box, chains, pause squats) then drop and add volume. 3 sets of 20 back squats (90sec rest in between) is a good way to “groove” the squat and get some HIIT work in. I also do lunges 7 days a week. It has been a miracle for my knee pain.

I'd like to lose about 20lbs. I know it's diet not exercise. It just seems harder for me to not eat a lot when I am lifting a lot. I'd like to be able to do 12-15 pullups and run 5 miles easily. I think the pullups and running are just a matter of weighing less.

I'm 43, 5'9 about 210. Hadn't lifted much since college. Got back into into it about a year and a half ago. Started Stronglifts 5X5 app in March. Got some gains and have enjoyed it, wouldn't mind doing it again or something similar, maybe in Oct or November. Would just like to focus on weight and cardo for a few months. Would like to go to the gym and lift 2x a week (hopefully keep what I have, or close to it) and then run outside once or twice a week. I do have 24kg and 20kg keg kettlebells (only 1 each) at home I could mess with on non-lifting days.

User Tag List