Page 1 of 173 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Weight Lifting

Anyone else into weight lifting? I am not a body builder or anything but I try to make it to the gym at least 5 times a week. So I thought I would start a thread and see if anyone has any advice for long term lifting (like the rest of my life long term) and personal experiences with it. I have had a really good past six months and here are some of my personal notes.

Mental notes on things that helped me:
    -I have been keeping a note book for the past year. This has helped me stay accountable, record sets/reps, and helps me ensure I am either increasing weight or reps each and every time I go. The last part isn't always possible but I try!
    -Setting certain short term and long term goals are great. I am 5' 9" and usually averaged around 160. I decided my long term goal was to get up to 185. I achieved this in two months and was really pleased. My short term goal was to increase weight every other time I did a certain exercise.

Things that I discovered:
    -Creatine. This was huge and I am a believer in it now. I did a lot of research on creatine and decided to try it out and I think this is what helped me hit my weight goal. I even tapered off of it to test if the weight would "fall" off and it did not, which was nice. I have never been huge on supplements and usually only used generic whey protein but I am glad I at-least tried one more.
    -It is nice to be able to do cardio and lift but at some point one of the two has to take priority. I had to significantly cut the amount of cardio I was doing to maintain the energy and weight I wanted. I am currently at 60 mins a week of running and have found that to be a good balance, especially with my bad knee.

Interested to see what anyone else has to say!

When it comes to fitness, I try to shut up and do what Larry Lindeman says on TPI. He is a very accessible source for evidence based training information. I'm currently working the Stronglifts program. People will argue whether it is the BEST training program but it is the most refined. I'm using the paid app for my Android and find it very easy to do.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Well, I'm interested to see the direction of this thread. I'm around 5'9 155lbs and have been stuck there for a bit.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    When it comes to fitness, I try to shut up and do what Larry Lindeman says on TPI. He is a very accessible source for evidence based training information. I'm currently working the Stronglifts program. People will argue whether it is the BEST training program but it is the most refined. I'm using the paid app for my Android and find it very easy to do.
    Is that the 5x5 program? If so that is what I recommend to most beginners/people who need a break from a complicated regimen, it is a really balanced and good work out. One thing that I really like to do is super set work outs. It take awhile to get used to but I feel like I get 100% more out of a work out.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Well, I'm interested to see the direction of this thread. I'm around 5'9 155lbs and have been stuck there for a bit.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk
    I was stuck at 160 foreverrrrrrrr. I decided to eat a crap load of chicken/rice/leafy greens. When that only worked for three pounds I said fuck it and bought creatine. I now take one scoop of syntha six (when I am done with this I'm moving to gnc whey again), 5 grams glutamine, and 5 grams creatine.

3 tmes a week to the Gym and 3 times running 4 miles and 2 of those days I do the Bowflex.

Weight Lifting

I'm in maintenance mode in the fall but I usually weight train twice a week, do BJJ twice a week, and run once a week. If life gets too busy or the kids have activities the run day is the first thing to go. I get enough doing BJJ to keep cardio where I need it.

I'm really busy this time of year. I've been experimenting with kettle bell work to replace one weight training day. BJJ time has been screwed up too so I've been doing two days of KB work, one day of weights, one day of BJJ, and I usually get sprints worked in once per week.

Last time I was on a regular schedule I was using a 5-3-1 program. I've been looking at doing something a lot less structured though. Higher reps per work out with lower weight. More focus on form and core strength. Also only full body movements.

My goals are always the same. Be stronger than I was yesterday. Stay lean. Keep resting heart rate under 60, preferably closer to 50. BJJ drives the majority of the training decisions I make. Luckily that lines up with what I need to do outside of training.

Edit - I like Stronglifts but I can't maintain it for very long. To much volume for me I think. Doing heavy squats multiple times a week is what usually gets me.
    Last edited by MGW; 10-07-2015 at 09:15 PM.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I lift bro

I work second shift (only been at it for a wee bit,2:30pm-1am) so that really screws with me gym time. I work out after work. I've o my ever worked out with another person in the gym 1 time, and I hated it lol. Here lately I haven't been much, seems like over time and sickness have plagued my gym time for a while now. I'm hopin tonight will be my first time back in the gym in a couple weeks. I go 1 on 1 rest 1 on 1 rest .. Ect.. I do a full body routine, and if I don't cheat I leave the gym trembling and weak. I lost about 50 pounds a year or so ago and decided to hit the gym hard, first month or so was pretty clean eating but quickly went on a dreamer bulk and am back to original weight with no muskels. So now I'm cutting back down. Strength has dropped like a rock since cutting and being sick a lot. I've decided I'm going to cut until the first of the year and then hardcore clean bulk till June.

Weight Lifting

In my mid thirties, my weight dropped to 135#@5'10", and I spent 10 hours a week in the gym for two years to get up to 170.

Now I have to calorie restrict and run to stay under 165.

Getting old Sucks.
    Last edited by JAD; 10-07-2015 at 09:47 PM.
    Ignore Alien Orders

My considerations in this regard are biased by what I do. I am a doc who sees a lot of older, old, and frankly very old folks with at least heart diseases, and often times more than heart disease. Within this group, I have a quite large cohort of people who are in their mid or late 80s or early 90s and who simply kick ass. These are the people who are/were in such a good shape that when their heart attacks happened, valves failed and electricity stopped running we went a full court press (try that in socialized medicine) and they not only survived, they regained a complete and normal function. In other words, these are the people who never lost their physical dignity to age and disease, who remain able bodied and enjoy their life literally until they drop dead. When I see a patient like that, I always ask what they did for themselves lifestyle and fitness wise that kept them so strong for decades.

Most never smoked; those who did quit early in life. Almost no one followed any specific diet but none of them is overweight; most are normal weight or just slightly above. Nobody worked nights, sucks for me. Every single one maintained a high aerobic capacity, either because of physical work or aerobic exercises. This became a way of life for them, nearly daily aerobic efforts. This implies that almost all of them managed to preserve their joints. Not a single one was a weightlifter but almost every man did some strength training or work to maintain a healthy muscle mass.

What I do for myself is an emulation of these remarkable folks. I try to go gym 7 days a week. "Try" is a key word. Sometimes it is 7, and sometimes it is none, but I'd imagine the average is 5. I try to alternate lifting and cardio, shooting for 120-150 minutes of aerobic exercise weekly. After all, my own professional society recommends 150 a week. I try to preferentially do non-impact cardio (swimming) over impact (running) for joint health. When I do cardio, I don't care about distance or speed, I care about uninterrupted time spent in my target heart rate range.
    When I lift, the last thing I am interested is muscle mass gain. I want muscle mass preservation, muscle strength, joint safety and range of motion.

I agree on creatine. I do use a bunch of protein but that's pretty much muscle mass preservation at my age. I try hard to cut crappy food out of my diet. I don't claim much science behind my approach, it is just an observational data.
    Last edited by YVK; 10-07-2015 at 09:44 PM.

User Tag List