Page 167 of 175 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 1749

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    Thats good to do every now and then... most of the top power lifters do de-loads might not be the same as yours but the purpose is the same.
    This trainer has earned records in my state for SQ, Dead, and overall. His good friend who hosts the meets in WA beat him by 5lbs in bench a couple of months ago. All to say, my goal of learning the 3 big compounds is right in his wheelhouse, and that's what he said as well. He had to explain why it works to me twice though.

For the last 3 months, he's been watching my lifts for sticking points, and assigning a pile of accessory exercises around assessment of the weaknesses in the big 3 motion ranges. A typical Sq, dead, or bench day approaches 2 hours, by the time the support exercises get added in to the main lift. It's a lot for me to handle. This week felt like cheating.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Usually when I feel I need to slow down to avoid burning out I like doing a little variation.
    Rack deads
    Front squats
    Some type of chest press like dumbbells

Rack deads I go heavier but it's just less intense.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Squatted 455 last night. Not quite past parallel though. It's been a while since I've gone this heavy. I need to spend some more time with 4 plates on my back

I've been in a funky mood lately and it messed with my deadlifts the other day but last night the funk helped I think.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    ...For the last 3 months, he's been watching my lifts for sticking points, and assigning a pile of accessory exercises around assessment of the weaknesses in the big 3 motion ranges. A typical Sq, dead, or bench day approaches 2 hours, by the time the support exercises get added in to the main lift. ...
    Sticking points: Really feel this in my bench press. My life goal is body weight for reps (10) and I'm 40 lbs short of 185. I do a number of accessory exercises (bench dumbbell press, incline bench fly, and a few more), but next bench day with my trainer I'm going to try and get a bit more specific. I've got long arms which isn't much of a help.

I don't recognize sticking points in my squats and deadlifts, more of a gradual progression. I'm very close to 225 for reps on both and have good success upping the weight for few sessions at 8 reps, then back to 10 reps. I don't know if I'll be interested in going much higher; no one ever looks at the tiny weights on a bar and I don't see 315 in my future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Squatted 455 last night. Not quite past parallel though. It's been a while since I've gone this heavy. I need to spend some more time with 4 plates on my back

I've been in a funky mood lately and it messed with my deadlifts the other day but last night the funk helped I think.

I actually think you depth was sufficient. Way more than I can do to that depth.

If you dedicate some time to getting comfortable with that kind of weight again, I bet you will be squatting heavy weights smoothly in a few weeks. Though you might have to slow down on the insane deadlifts so that you can properly recover.

Obviously I am telling you stuff you already know, but I do hope to see you squat heavy.

So I had some depth issues on my squats that I posted about recently. To work on depth I did the 5/3/1 (for OHP and squat) twice a week and cut out deadlifting for the most part. While I didn't make huge increases in what I was able to properly squatt, I think it helped. It certainly helped with my OHP.

The issue I think is largely mental when it comes to squatting heavy to the proper depth. At least for me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Sticking points: Really feel this in my bench press. My life goal is body weight for reps (10) and I'm 40 lbs short of 185. I do a number of accessory exercises (bench dumbbell press, incline bench fly, and a few more), but next bench day with my trainer I'm going to try and get a bit more specific. I've got long arms which isn't much of a help.

I don't recognize sticking points in my squats and deadlifts, more of a gradual progression. I'm very close to 225 for reps on both and have good success upping the weight for few sessions at 8 reps, then back to 10 reps. I don't know if I'll be interested in going much higher; no one ever looks at the tiny weights on a bar and I don't see 315 in my future.

I just hope that when I am your age, I am able to keep lifting, and that I have your dedication to not just lift, but to get better. Your dedication really is impressive.

Site Supporter
    In less than an hour tonight I did the following in sets of various numbers.

OHP- 105 x 25 total reps

Squat 275 x 25 total reps. Including a set of 10 reps.

Bench 165 (bodyweight roughly) x 25 total reps

Deadlift 275 x 25 total reps. Including a set of 12 reps.

Nothing too crazy numbers wise, but I finished with deadlifts and I thought I might puke. That really took it out of me and I was happy that I didn't vomit. These numbers were around 75% of my max. Doing another round of a very simple workout by Andy Baker. When the percentages go up, I will have to deadlift on separate days.

https://www.andybaker.com/simple-dea...am-that-works/

Kudos, that's a helluva lot of work in a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    In less than an hour tonight I did the following in sets of various numbers.

OHP- 105 x 25 total reps

Squat 275 x 25 total reps. Including a set of 10 reps.

Bench 165 (bodyweight roughly) x 25 total reps

Deadlift 275 x 25 total reps. Including a set of 12 reps.

Nothing too crazy numbers wise, but I finished with deadlifts and I thought I might puke. That really took it out of me and I was happy that I didn't vomit. These numbers were around 75% of my max. Doing another round of a very simple workout by Andy Baker. When the percentages go up, I will have to deadlift on separate days.

https://www.andybaker.com/simple-dea...am-that-works/
    Are we going to get an AAR on how the body felt 1-2 days post workout? That's a lot of volume. Great work!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Are we going to get an AAR on how the body felt 1-2 days post workout? That's a lot of volume. Great work!

Feeling "it" today. lol

Went and did a lot of assistance work tonight. We well see if this helps or hurts the recovery!

I am pretty tight today, so much so that doing heavy dumbbell rows was out of the question.

Really, I should lift smarter, but with time and life constraints, I have to get as much in when I can.

User Tag List