Page 174 of 175 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175 LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 1750

Thread: Weight Lifting

Side note, glad to see this thread is a live and well! (I started something!!!)

I have been lifting for roughly a month now after my finger amputation. I guess I never realized how much you rely on all your fingers (duh) for a steady grip and full strength. Losing that portion of my pinky means it no longer wraps around a bar, cable attachment, or db so I have effectively lost 1/5 of my grip, especially on pull exercises. This has taken sometime for me to adjust to but slowly but surely I am learning to lift and again and start building strength.

Doing a modified 5x5 right now.

A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Side note, glad to see this thread is a live and well! (I started something!!!)

I have been lifting for roughly a month now after my finger amputation. I guess I never realized how much you rely on all your fingers (duh) for a steady grip and full strength. Losing that portion of my pinky means it no longer wraps around a bar, cable attachment, or db so I have effectively lost 1/5 of my grip, especially on pull exercises. This has taken sometime for me to adjust to but slowly but surely I am learning to lift and again and start building strength.

Doing a modified 5x5 right now.
    Are you opposed to using straps for things like deadlifts?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I ran cross country in highschool so my data is old and the only reason I did it was to get ready for the infantry. Decent times back then were around 18 minutes or under. The actual competitors were runnings under 16 minutes (about 5 and some change).

How old are you? I would say thats a perfectly good time to start with and you can start chipping away at it. My plan is to use this summer to get back into cardio shape.
    I’m 30 going on 31, I don’t see myself getting down to those types of times without significant impact on my strength training. I’m certainly gonna keep at it though, to be honest I much prefer my once a week long runs which are 8-12 miles at 9:30-10:00 pace. I’m still rucking 2-5 times a week so my feet are getting pretty hammered but are hardening.

Official time was 23:33 and 19th out of 128 competitors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Thank you, that is helpful perspective!

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Sounds good to me but I’m almost 59 and last year I was around 45 minutes ( had to alternate running and walking due to a leg issue). The year before I ran it about 35 or so. I don’t run regularly due to an old knee injury but have been rowing and biking and rucking for cardio
    Thank you! I like the rucking and stationary bike myself as an alternate modality for cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    I know this is a weight lifting thread but I think running has been covered here before so I want to ask members who run a question.

I ran my first 5k today for no other reason than I’ve been running a bit lately and wanted to see what I could do. I’m not 100% sure of my official time, I just caught the clock as I was finishing and I came in under 24 minutes. Is this a decent time for first timer? Im not looking to become a competitor but I’d like to be a decent runner while retaining my strength.

I have no clue and didn’t want to compare myself against the field as it seemed like those in front of me were really seasoned (very thin) runners and those behind me were out for fun. There was no “cluster”, around me I was by myself crossing the line. I’m not a big guy by any means but holy shit I felt like Ronnie Coleman there.
    That's better than I've done. When I was about 25 (I'm 32 now) I was running a 5k distance 3 times a week for a summer. I didnt lift at the time, and had only aveage prior military 2 mile bullshit running in the past. I usually ran somewhere around 8:45ish pace and 28ish minutes total. So if you're lifting, and running 5ks in 24minutes I'd think it's a win.

I ran a mile maybe a month ago, and was pretty embarrassed with it. Probably close to the worst I've ever done. Need to work it back up to snuff.But I'm damn reluctant to start running a lot with Florida heat slowly coming back... gahh.

Used straps to deadlift for the first time recently. It was shocking the difference it made. My PR is 330, but I managed to get 405 a whopping 4 inches off the floor. Hahaha. But seriously it made DL about overall form again instead of just my hands giving out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    That's better than I've done. When I was about 25 (I'm 32 now) I was running a 5k distance 3 times a week for a summer. I didnt lift at the time, and had only aveage prior military 2 mile bullshit running in the past. I usually ran somewhere around 8:45ish pace and 28ish minutes total. So if you're lifting, and running 5ks in 24minutes I'd think it's a win.

I ran a mile maybe a month ago, and was pretty embarrassed with it. Probably close to the worst I've ever done. Need to work it back up to snuff.But I'm damn reluctant to start running a lot with Florida heat slowly coming back... gahh.

Used straps to deadlift for the first time recently. It was shocking the difference it made. My PR is 330, but I managed to get 405 a whopping 4 inches off the floor. Hahaha. But seriously it made DL about overall form again instead of just my hands giving out.
    Thanks, and make no mistake about it I was huffing hard. The course (which I had never seen before today) has significant elevation and the home stretch was straight uphill. I had a goal of 25 minutes with a stretch goal of 24, my body wanted to quit during the last climb so I was really digging deep mentally.

Sorry for the thread drift. Shifting back to weights, I’ve been able to press the 72lb gorilla OH for singles but would like to work my way up to 3-4 reps by summers end. Also discovered the wonders of KB pullovers and have worked my way up to the 53LB bell for sets of 12 and my mid back is still sore from Thursdays pull workout.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post

Sorry for the thread drift. Shifting back to weights, I’ve been able to press the 72lb gorilla OH for singles but would like to work my way up to 3-4 reps by summers end. Also discovered the wonders of KB pullovers and have worked my way up to the 53LB bell for sets of 12 and my mid back is still sore from Thursdays pull workout.
    I have the 54 lb orangutan kettlebell, I want the gorilla but can’t bring myself to spend the money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I have the 54 lb orangutan kettlebell, I want the gorilla but can’t bring myself to spend the money on it.
    I’d wait for their next sale, I don’t know where you’re at but I gotta say stepping up from the 53 then to gorilla and now the Bigfoot was a game changer. Swinging 90lbs and doing TGUs with the gorilla has put my stability and strength in awkward positions onto a new level.

I want to be a kb guy, I really do. I've started with them so many times and never stick with it. I know it's a mental thing, hell, it's a discipline thing. I see the benefits, but I don't enjoy the workouts like I do lifting. I'll vow to do only kb's, pushups & bodyweight squats for 30 days and go right back to the barbell by the 3rd or 4th day.

User Tag List