Page 132 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 1742

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I’ve been tempted to buy the ones shaped like primate heads
    20% sale right now I almost pulled the trigger on the 2 pood gorilla but decided to wait.

Site Supporter
    Stalled again. Flu for a week, kids having Capstone projects and finals with abbreviated schedules, sleep more messed up than usual.

Wierd thing. Been doing one and two handed swings, and cleans and presses. 3-5 days a week for several months. Missed the gym for 2.5 weeks, and developed tennis elbow, in one arm, that got progressively worse with the layoff. Did some YouTube homework, and talked to a physical therapist friend. Gonna take it easy a couple more weeks with just two handed swings and specific tennis elbow exercises,fluids, NSAIDS, ice, and Icy Hot. Worked out earlier this week and noted that during the workout the pain was less, but not gone, and my form was going south as I babied it on the presses.

So a step back until my .mil presses don't hurt at all and my form is back.

I like the primate head bells, too, but would have gone with the Darth Vader and Death Star bells, but the last time I looked they were only available in one pood weights, and I have enough one pood bells. I am looking forward to my purchase of 1.5 pood bells. I am told that they are easier on the forearm bruising the one pood bells. One of the online KB guys recommend competition KBs, since they are the same size, regardless of weight. I don't get as much forearm bruising and attendant tenderness as I did, but what I do get is fugly.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Missed the gym for 2.5 weeks, and developed tennis elbow, in one arm, that got progressively worse with the layoff.

pat
    https://spinalflowyoga.com/shooters-elbow/

I probably seem like a broken record on this, but I highly recommend that protocol. I got a severe enough case of golfer's elbow that everyday tasks, like turning a doorknob, were painful, and I started dropping stuff. I tried a number of things, including the doctor recommended "do nothing and pray it magically fixes itself". That rehab protocol worked. Now, when a lot of pullups or heavy grip work starts to bring it on a little, I just slap that protocol on the end of my workouts, and it goes away.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Site Supporter
    Been doing the 5x5 for about two months now:

Probably just newbie gains, but I'm doing 5 reps easily with my previous OHP max of 80lbs and just to do some ego lifting, I did some heavy singles for the squat and got to 225lbs.

That's not impressive to a lot of guys on this thread, but it is stronger than I have ever been.

I've also gone from 165lbs to about 180lbs in the space of a year. And I still can see my abs. I'm sure more than a little bit is fat tho.

I feel better than I have in a long time. As far as BJJ performance goes...being strong has definitely helped. I've been a terror on the mats and rolling quite competitively with guys who used to whip my ass a lot.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    https://spinalflowyoga.com/shooters-elbow/

I probably seem like a broken record on this, but I highly recommend that protocol. I got a severe enough case of golfer's elbow that everyday tasks, like turning a doorknob, were painful, and I started dropping stuff. I tried a number of things, including the doctor recommended "do nothing and pray it magically fixes itself". That rehab protocol worked. Now, when a lot of pullups or heavy grip work starts to bring it on a little, I just slap that protocol on the end of my workouts, and it goes away.
    I wanted to sincerely thank you for this. Two weeks of RICE and OTC pain meds did nothing. A week of this dropped my pain by 80-90% with an improvement after the first session! I am getting ready to start week 3 (I am going six to be sure before I go full throttle again) and am going to be doing light core work, and Dan John's Swings and Goblet Squats to start back, in addition to the wrist work. In three weeks I will get back to S&S.

Thanks again!

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Been doing the 5x5 for about two months now:

Probably just newbie gains, but I'm doing 5 reps easily with my previous OHP max of 80lbs and just to do some ego lifting, I did some heavy singles for the squat and got to 225lbs.

That's not impressive to a lot of guys on this thread, but it is stronger than I have ever been.

I've also gone from 165lbs to about 180lbs in the space of a year. And I still can see my abs. I'm sure more than a little bit is fat tho.

I feel better than I have in a long time. As far as BJJ performance goes...being strong has definitely helped. I've been a terror on the mats and rolling quite competitively with guys who used to whip my ass a lot.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Unless you are a freak or taking the best dope, if you get bigger you will gain fat. As long as it’s not too much, no biggie. Being stronger is a great thing and it does make a difference on the mat. At least with comparable skills levels.

Have you thought about 3 x 5? When just trying to get as strong as possible before hitting the new lifter plateau, I personally think 3 x 5 is the best balance of simplicity and volume.

Almost no one had great lifts when they started. You should be proud of your efforts and you deserve a few ego lifts. Before you know it you will be doing 225 x 20 on squat. It’s really impressive you are rolling and lifting. Not an easy thing to do.

Have you maxed out any lifts to see where you are?

I’ve went from 178 to about 165. Unfortunately I lost some strength but I still benched 235 today and squatted 385 the other day. What’s took the biggest hit is my deadlift. Just having a difficult time with it.

My weight loss seems to be largely thanks to cutting out wheat/gluten and peanut butter. Feel better and am still have decent strength for my itty bitty size.

Not a lot of huge PRs or anything to report on my end, nothing too exciting. I did Axle Bar Bench 335# x 1 2 weeks ago. Working with a new powerlifting coach starting last week who doesn’t do conjugate, so I’ll start running a more traditional periodization scheme. Hopefully more PRs to come soon.

Started back BJJ two weeks ago. I thought I’d do just Judo, but ended up getting the bug for BJJ lol.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I wanted to sincerely thank you for this. Two weeks of RICE and OTC pain meds did nothing. A week of this dropped my pain by 80-90% with an improvement after the first session! I am getting ready to start week 3 (I am going six to be sure before I go full throttle again) and am going to be doing light core work, and Dan John's Swings and Goblet Squats to start back, in addition to the wrist work. In three weeks I will get back to S&S.

Thanks again!

pat
    I'm glad it helped you as much as me. If the pain comes in again, easing back on the pull volume and starting the protocol again should do the trick. Or even just continually doing it.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Being almost 70 years old, I have cut back on my sets and doing high reps.
    Rep ranges are 1 to 3 reps

I bench twice a week; the second workout is close grip bench press.

May 25, 280 pounds

Jun 4, 290 pounds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    Being almost 70 years old, I have cut back on my sets and doing high reps.
    Rep ranges are 1 to 3 reps

I bench twice a week; the second workout is close grip bench press.

May 25, 280 pounds

Jun 4, 290 pounds

Awesome and impairing. If I’m lucky and blessed enough to live as long as you, I hope I continue to push myself physically.

Robert knows what he is doing, and if you want to get strong, he’s one of the guys to listen to.

User Tag List