Page 170 of 175 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 1749

Thread: Weight Lifting

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Without double checking old journals, I believe 325. I definitely did 315 for 20, but more in the sense of "it doesn't matter how long it takes if your hands don't leave the bar."

I'm not super strong. My max before the last few years of injuries was 365 for 3. I went for it as a single, and it felt fine, but called it at 3. I've failed 405 several times. I guess that's not too bad, considering my dimensions (6'1", then I weighed about 147 lbs.), but certainly not noteworthy, either.

Several rotator cuffs and bicep tendon tears later, I would bet my max is probably just shy of 3 plates right now. I haven't pulled higher than 275 for a single since the first shoulder/arm injury stone lifting in 2020. I was getting it back up there, and working on a really ugly bodyweight snatch, when we had the difficult pregnancy and then kid, so I've lost momentum a bit.

Dang! 147 and talk? That’s strong dude , 315 x 20. I’ve never done that.

Site Supporter
    Walked into the gym for the first time in almost 5 years post-divorce. They have more barbells in one corner than every .mil/public/private gym I've ever been to in the past - combined. The angles sang.

I'm starting off as a complete novice, realizing that an injury will set me back a ton (as well as work, and outside of work) - and it's easier to avoid getting stuck than overcoming it.

Today was the 6th week of barbell work, 3 days a week. I'm excited to see where I'm at a year or two from now.
    Last edited by jeep45238; 02-08-2024 at 08:35 PM.

On the subject of lifts we hate, I sort of masochistically like both dead and squats; light, heavy, brutal grind or slow grind over reps… it’s all good.

But…

pin squats…

Now, that shit, is for the birds.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    On the subject of lifts we hate, I sort of masochistically like both dead and squats; light, heavy, brutal grind or slow grind over reps… it’s all good.

But…

pin squats…

Now, that shit, is for the birds.
    For the weirdly satisfying suckiness, I'm a big fan of Zercher and front squats. If nothing else, it makes you thankful for regular old back squats.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

I've slowed my weight progression (bench and squats) in favor of increasing my depth. Squats: 2x10/185 working sets to level quads, 1x10/135 de-load set as deep as I can get. I'm getting more workout for my "money" with this improved form versus grunting under a heavier weight with inferior depth. Ditto bench: I'm not going above 135/140 until I can get full depth. I set the safety bars to chest level followed by warm-up, 2x10/115 full range of motion, 135 to failure full range of motion, and finish with 115 to failure. I'm getting a much better workout with this approach.

For the weirdly satisfying suckiness, I'm a big fan of Zercher and front squats. If nothing else, it makes you thankful for regular old back squats.
    Truth.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I threw up once after doing 315 pounds for 15 Reps deep all the way down old school front squads.

My single should have been better, but I did a 450-pound Front Squat all the way down at Gibson's gym in Manchester Connecticut long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Deadlift today.

405 x 1

225 x 32- Yes, I used a lot of bounce, but it was still a truly unpleasant experience. Especially the last 5-7 reps. While I didn't time myself, I bet this was done in around 90-120 seconds.
    Ooh wow, that 32 rep set was intense
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

I had to look back. 2 years ago

I'd actually be curious to see where I'm at with that now.

I just hit a bench pr with 225x20 last night.

Oh, yeah. After that 21 rep set I went up
    Last edited by 03RN; 02-09-2024 at 08:41 PM.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

For the weirdly satisfying suckiness, I'm a big fan of Zercher...

Yeah... in a fit of irony, this showed up in my program today...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List