Page 144 of 175 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1749

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Began 5-3-1 three weeks ago. As instructed, I took 1 rep max's at the very beginning, before benefiting from the program. I believe I would "max" higher if taken today.

I see no reference to this in Wendler's on-line work. Would it be inappropriate to re-test my 1 rep max's at the end of this four week cycle and compute lifts for the following cycle based on the more recent tests?

Thanks for your help.

Duces
    He has suggested using the first two weeks to dial in first. Like 10 total sets for 5 reps each, without maxing or max repping.

Then testing for a strong rep max on week 3 and computing that for your TM going forward. After that, he strongly suggests leaving the TM alone and only going by the recommended TM increases (even if you're in the double digits reps-wise on the last set)

So yeah, you should be good to go if you decide to re-test! Though, the 531 program uses a rep max to calculate a TM. Something like a strong 5rm = new tm going forward. Your TM should definitely NOT be your 1 rep max.

Quote Originally Posted by Saur View Post
    He has suggested using the first two weeks to dial in first. Like 10 total sets for 5 reps each, without maxing or max repping.

Then testing for a strong rep max on week 3 and computing that for your TM going forward. After that, he strongly suggests leaving the TM alone and only going by the recommended TM increases (even if you're in the double digits reps-wise on the last set)

So yeah, you should be good to go if you decide to re-test! Though, the 531 program uses a rep max to calculate a TM. Something like a strong 5rm = new tm going forward. Your TM should definitely NOT be your 1 rep max.
    I have a better understanding now.
    Thanks, Saur.

Duces

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Began 5-3-1 three weeks ago. As instructed, I took 1 rep max's at the very beginning, before benefiting from the program. I believe I would "max" higher if taken today.

I see no reference to this in Wendler's on-line work. Would it be inappropriate to re-test my 1 rep max's at the end of this four week cycle and compute lifts for the following cycle based on the more recent tests?

Thanks for your help.

Duces

The longer you are on 531/the better it works, the less the TM will have anything to do with your real 1RM. So constant 1RM testing is harder than necessary, riskier, and not automatically the most efficient.

I will look up his specific instructions later, when I don't have a baby sleeping on me, but the very first and simplest protocol was to add 10 lbs to squat and deadlift TMs, 5 lbs to press and bench. Then, do another cycle. You keep doing this until you miss a rep. In other wpords, don't try to fix it when it's working. Once you can't make the prescribed lifts for a couple sessions, you can reset the TM, or retest it.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

"It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

I authored a "One and Done" post to this thread about a hear ago as I started my weight training journey. I thought I'd do a "Two and Done" follow-up in case another (very) senior citizen dips their toe in this thread.
    Most of the exercises are higher reps (3x10 or 4x12) part of the theory, I believe, being along the lines of "It's better to wear the old guy out than to have him break something". I only see the trainer 1/week, but train 3x/week cycling through four sets of exercises: Legs, Triceps&Chest, Back&Biceps, and Shoulders. The exercise mix changes every 12 weeks; for example right now I'm doing Inclined Leg Press versus Squats and Trap Bar Dead Lifts versus Conventional Dead Lifts.

I've seen tremendous benefit even at age 77 having increased both strength and muscular endurance. Today my Trap Bar Dead Lift was 3x8/205 pounds having just stepped up from 185 lbs. My Inclined Leg Press is 3x10/360 but that is of course on a 45 deg angle. I'll never be able to bench very much with a suspect left shoulder so my end of the year goal is sets of 10 @ 150 lbs. (I weight 185). I'd love to make body weight but I'm working hard now to just do 135. I've learned a great deal about how best to do the accessory exercises and take care of my shoulder; dumbbells, I find, are my friend in that I can better work around the angles that my shoulder doesn't like; the Smith Machine is evil. There is much more to this than I would have thought and this journey has taught me a great deal about my body mechanics.

I'm looking forward to getting back to Squats and Dead Lifts since my year-end goal is body weight at the 10 reps. So far, using this sort of program, I've been near injury-free knock on wood. I'd encourage any not yet six feet under to find some sort of exercise program they can handle and get with it.

Name:  20221231_154138.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  40.5 KB

Done. Took years but I am very happy

I have worked with kettlebells before, but unfortunately didn't stick with it. Does anybody have an idiot-proof guide for a full-body workout? There's so many exercises, I don't know how to combine a limited number of exercises to achieve this. I have kettlebells of different weights, but only one of them each, so movements that require two of identical weight won't work. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    I have worked with kettlebells before, but unfortunately didn't stick with it. Does anybody have an idiot-proof guide for a full-body workout? There's so many exercises, I don't know how to combine a limited number of exercises to achieve this. I have kettlebells of different weights, but only one of them each, so movements that require two of identical weight won't work. Thanks!
    Search for Dan John on YouTube, there should be plenty of good information there.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post

I'm looking forward to getting back to Squats and Dead Lifts since my year-end goal is body weight at the 10 reps. So far, using this sort of program, I've been near injury-free knock on wood. I'd encourage any not yet six feet under to find some sort of exercise program they can handle and get with it.
    FWIW, my gauge of "pretty strong" is a BW squat for 10 reps. It is no easy feat. Good luck with your journey.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Name:  20221231_154138.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  40.5 KB

Done. Took years but I am very happy
    Some garage gym goals right there. The wife and I are buying our first home soon and I'm already looking up what squat rack I should be getting for the garage [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

User Tag List