Page 113 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1742

Thread: Weight Lifting

I would be on that like Uncle Dui on an unregistered moped!

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Finally did my first Starting Strength "A" workout:

3x5 squats 135 lb
    3x5 bench 135 lb
    1x5 deadlift 185 lb
    First "B" workout:

3x5 (high back) squats 155 lb
    3x5 overhead press 85 lb
    5x3 power clean 95 lb

Got to start somewhere I guess...
    2 weeks later...

3 sets of 5 (high back) squats 165
    3 x 5 bench press 150
    3 x 5 deadlift 215
    3 x 5 overhead press 115
    5 x 3 power clean 115

Struggling with the last rep on bench & overhead press, but I think I have plenty of room to grow on the others. Still fitzing with squat technique - getting my thighs to parallel with a bar on the back just isn't comfortable yet.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 09-16-2021 at 01:37 AM.

double tap
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 09-16-2021 at 01:37 AM.

Site Supporter
    2 weeks later...

3 sets of 5 (high back) squats 165
    3 x 5 bench press 150
    3 x 5 deadlift 215
    3 x 5 overhead press 115
    5 x 3 power clean 115

Struggling with the last rep on bench & overhead press, but I think I have plenty of room to grow on the others. Still fitzing with squat technique - getting my thighs to parallel with a bar on the back just isn't comfortable yet.

Squat takes time, and I’m still no model squatter. In less than an hour I OHP, Squatted, and deadlifted. Hit 365 x 3 on squat and dropped down and did 225 x 20.

When I started I was no stronger than you are now, with time and hard work you will move weight.

Go get a form check but honestly I think there is some element of what’s correct technique vs what actually works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Hit 365 x 3 on squat and dropped down and did 225 x 20.
    Jeebus, I’m sore just reading that!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Jeebus, I’m sore just reading that!
    Yea I’m feeling it today. Less soreness and more of a fatigue thing. However, what you described doing exercise wise blows my stuff away. Getting up early and often to lift plus 225 x 5 x 5 on bench? Impressive.

At the house I did some accessory work today. Curls, tri extensions, barbell rows, and did about a 100 yard walk with 125 on my back.

Tomorrow is chest and more accessory work. Saturday may be cleans or more walking with weights.

Site Supporter
    I'm having this weird experience transitioning back from sitting up "bench press" (seated press gym machine) back to free weights. My control over the bar is gawd-awful. Even with the weight way down, I can almost toss the weight into the air, but, pressing it up evenly is a problem. I'm doing better in week 2, but, still feel like I'm capable of dropping a weight off one end or the other unintentionally.

So far I've managed not to hurt my bad neck in the transition. I know my PT would be roll-eyed and slack-jawed if I told her what I was doing. Cautiously optimistic.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I'm having this weird experience transitioning back from sitting up "bench press" (seated press gym machine) back to free weights. My control over the bar is gawd-awful. Even with the weight way down, I can almost toss the weight into the air, but, pressing it up evenly is a problem.
    I always find with bench that I have to consciously think about pulling my upper back together and pressing from there while I brace, rather than thinking about just my chest/arms. See if that helps.

Thank God for the weight pile, it's my only solace lately. I liken weight lifting to the Glock platform in that it just works for me and I genuinely like it. Sure, I love all kinds of pistols, I own several non-Glocks and want to own oh so many more, but I quite happily carry a Glock every day.

I should do more cardio, I sorely miss the dojo, I crave hikes in my beloved Rockies, my sole kettlebell holds the floor down in the corner, my mountain bike's had a broken rear brake cable for two years and it's been longer than that since I've remotely done yoga...but damn I love lifting! When life forces me to abstain, I am lessened mentally and physically.

I've been dealing with a shoulder issue since Father's Day when I went golfing with long time friends who are dads themselves and my left shoulder has been pissed ever since. I'm not a golfer, but I do like to hit things and swear, so a day of drinking beer with friends I don't see nearly often enough was not to be missed. I've been working with a chiropractor and I'm definitely on the mend, but it forced me to change up a couple of things.

Ironically, I've had to ditch incline bench for flat bench because it's less stressful to the top of my shoulder joint...usually it works the other way for most shoulder pain. At 53, I've lessened the actual lb's and tried to focus more on the pause on each rep, bending the bar, a rock solid, braced platform for all lifts and technique over everything. T-Nation keeps me tweaking things and right now, Monday's see me doing a few warm up sets of 135lbs for 10-12 reps followed by 8 sets of 3 reps at 200lbs with minimal rest between sets.

Once I'd learned to squat properly (for me), I'd finally gotten to that love/hate level with squats that made me look forward to getting under the bar at least twice a week to hate on them. I've got arthritis in my joints and plenty of bone on bone in my knees, so no deeper than parallel is a rule my orthopedic surgeon insists I live by. Again, current shoulder impingement makes good form too painful to maintain, so what's T-Nation got for me? Hmm, Zercher squats, even better, sumo stance Zercher squats! Sweet, still lifting, still living.

I don't get up at 4:30am every weekday because I'm a Jocko devotee...I do it because life outside my Fortress of Solitude, er, I mean, garage gym, is a currently a bowl of stressful shit with a straw and no napkin. Those 30-45min of working out are as good as I can know it's going to be any given day. The day might not suck, but counting on that right now is stoopidly optimistic. Good news though, my lifting is going hell bent for leather. Zerchers hit muscles in my back that heavy rows and deadlifts just can't. Stress and cortisol leak out the soles of my bare feet as they anchor to the ground, anger and resentment are my spotters, dread and foreboding motivate me to squeeze in one more set...I lift, I live.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    I don't get up at 4:30am every weekday because I'm a Jocko devotee...I do it because life outside my Fortress of Solitude, er, I mean, garage gym, is a currently a bowl of stressful shit with a straw and no napkin. Those 30-45min of working out are as good as I can know it's going to be any given day. The day might not suck, but counting on that right now is stoopidly optimistic. Good news though, my lifting is going hell bent for leather. Zerchers hit muscles in my back that heavy rows and deadlifts just can't. Stress and cortisol leak out the soles of my bare feet as they anchor to the ground, anger and resentment are my spotters, dread and foreboding motivate me to squeeze in one more set...I lift, I live.
    Hang in there. For what it’s worth, prioritizing sleep can really help with stress. We do everything better well rested. The Jocko/The Rock/whomever thing makes little sense to me unless bedtime is 8pm.

User Tag List