Page 48 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Very much on point. There's a difference between being athletic and being an athlete.

Site Supporter
    Just did 345 on Dead Lift. Not a ton but it's my new personal best.

Benched 260 lbs for 2 sets of 8 this morning. I was able to work in with a guy and did 285 for a set of 5. I normally don't drop below sets of 5, but he was doing 315 for sets of 3 so I tried 315 and nailed it. He went up to 325 and I was feeling froggy so I went ahead. It took all I had but I got it one time. Once I stood up I had the little floating stars, must've forgot to breath at the end. I haven't done any one rep max's since probably high school but at least now I know what I'm working with.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Benched 260 lbs for 2 sets of 8 this morning. I was able to work in with a guy and did 285 for a set of 5. I normally don't drop below sets of 5, but he was doing 315 for sets of 3 so I tried 315 and nailed it. He went up to 325 and I was feeling froggy so I went ahead. It took all I had but I got it one time. Once I stood up I had the little floating stars, must've forgot to breath at the end. I haven't done any one rep max's since probably high school but at least now I know what I'm working with.
    Awesome man! I know what you mean, after 345 I felt kind of dizzy. This was done on my diet where I am eating WAY less.

I didn't even realize how much I was putting on the bar, until I looked down and thought it was more than I normally did. I didn't even really want to know how much so I didn't psych myself out.

What you did on the bench is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Awesome man! I know what you mean, after 345 I felt kind of dizzy. This was done on my diet where I am eating WAY less.

I didn't even realize how much I was putting on the bar, until I looked down and thought it was more than I normally did. I didn't even really want to know how much so I didn't psych myself out.

What you did on the bench is impressive.
    Thank you, I'm coming up on a year of being back at weight lifting. I hadn't lifted weights since high school.

Heading back up on my Starting Strength novice program.
    I’ve found my press, bench press, and deadlifts are feeling stronger but my squats a bit shakier.
    Looking forward to being done- most likely late June.
    I need to drop a few pounds!
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Site Supporter
    I just finished reading the Tactical Barbell, and Tactical Barbell Conditioning. I really like the fact that their program is in line with many of our goals here at PF.com. The programming is flexible, and should work well with most people. Most importantly, it does not leave out conditioning, and it offers many different strength training variations that could work with multiple schedules.

Anyone have a good weight training app suggestion? Have been doing 5X5 for awhile and really like the app. Want to sit where I am at for awhile as far as weight though, work on reps and run more. Ideal would be the 5X5 app, but it would stop bumping up the weight and allow me to increase the reps on work sets.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Anyone have a good weight training app suggestion? Have been doing 5X5 for awhile and really like the app. Want to sit where I am at for awhile as far as weight though, work on reps and run more. Ideal would be the 5X5 app, but it would stop bumping up the weight and allow me to increase the reps on work sets.
    Switch to an old fashioned notebook. Make notes on how your sets and reps felt. Make notes of all your failed reps. Document every assistance exercise plus the weights and reps. Document all of your runs and conditioning.

The Stronglifts and Starting Strength apps are fine if you are running those programs, but once you switch to intermediate programming, a notebook works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    Switch to an old fashioned notebook. Make notes on how your sets and reps felt. Make notes of all your failed reps. Document every assistance exercise plus the weights and reps. Document all of your runs and conditioning.

The Stronglifts and Starting Strength apps are fine if you are running those programs, but once you switch to intermediate programming, a notebook works fine.
    I also like a notebook. I realize it's not in vogue like an phone app, but I've got workout logs going back years and years, and they're a really valuable resource. Every now and then I pull them out, review my past workouts and performance metrics, and compare them to my present condition. I also document things like body weight, general nutritional approach, supplements, etc.

You can learn a lot about how your body responds to different regimes and demands. But if you're not documenting the inputs and results, it's extremely easy to forget or lose track. Especially over a period of years and experimenting with different programs.

And for me, the added value of the physical notebook is that I can keep them for years, even decades, long after an app or a phone will be obsolete and discarded. As always, YYMV.
    Last edited by Mark D; 06-27-2018 at 12:43 PM.

User Tag List