Page 46 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    That’s a tough one to answer without knowing where you are today. Do you do any type of program right now?
    Bench-235
    DL-325
    OP-115 (weak)
    Squat-350

I lift 3-4x a weak.

I definitely have a gut on me.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 04-22-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Bench-235
    DL-325
    OP-115 (weak)
    Squat-350

I lift 3-4x a weak.

I definitely have a gut on me.
    Best place to look on weight lifting is barbellmedicine.com IMO. Think earlier on this thread their breakout from Starting Strength was detailed. They have some great programs for non novice lifters. One thing they discuss is not go over a 40’ waist measured around the bellybutton.

I’m getting ready to do my first reset on the Starting Strength novice program- then after some more time will start the Barbelll Medicine Bridge program. The BBM guys have some great podcasts and YouTube vids.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Site Supporter
    Best place to look on weight lifting is barbellmedicine.com IMO. Think earlier on this thread their breakout from Starting Strength was detailed. They have some great programs for non novice lifters. One thing they discuss is not go over a 40’ waist measured around the bellybutton.

I’m getting ready to do my first reset on the Starting Strength novice program- then after some more time will start the Barbelll Medicine Bridge program. The BBM guys have some great podcasts and YouTube vids.
    I have been doing SS, but got off track after a cold, work etc.

Weight Lifting

Diet is so much tougher than lifting weights. Man I am hungry all the time!

So what would be healthy goals for someone my size and weight? I am 5-04, 180.

Maxes that would be a good number to shoot for. I have my own ideas, but I want others input as well.

Bench-?
    DL-?
    OP-?
    Squat-?
    I have a suggestion.

Start with 1234 plates

(1 plate each side)

Ohp-1 plate-135lbs
    Bench-2 plates-225lbs
    Squat-3 plates-315lbs
    Deadlift-4 plates-405lbs

I believe it is a easy number chart to deal with and with work is achievable for some. Obviously you might do some right away and take time for others.

Edit- read your response. Missed it earlier 🤦🏻. You are pretty much there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Trukinjp13; 04-22-2018 at 09:01 PM.

I have been doing SS, but got off track after a cold, work etc.
    I’ve not been “doing the program” because I’m watching my waist line.

http://www.barbellmedicine.com/the-bridge/

This might be a good spot for you next. I would not get wrapped up in a goal of how much weight you lift, but to continue to make progress steadily. The numbers you posted look pretty decent though.
    Just the height/weight ratio could be high. Jordan Figenbaum has a good article, think it’s called To Be a Beast. I’d recommend reading it for diet planning. The forum there is pretty good too.

Site Supporter
    I’ve not been “doing the program” because I’m watching my waist line.

http://www.barbellmedicine.com/the-bridge/

This might be a good spot for you next. I would not get wrapped up in a goal of how much weight you lift, but to continue to make progress steadily. The numbers you posted look pretty decent though.
    Just the height/weight ratio could be high. Jordan Figenbaum has a good article, think it’s called To Be a Beast. I’d recommend reading it for diet planning. The forum there is pretty good too.
    Yes I need to lose body fat. My waits is increasing, about a 33 right now. So I've gotta slow down on the crap food.

In what way are you not doing the program?

Yes I need to lose body fat. My waits is increasing, about a 33 right now. So I've gotta slow down on the crap food.

In what way are you not doing the program?
    I’ve limited my calories- as I’ve blown past 40 weight doesn’t come of as quick as it did in the old days.
    I’ll run The Starting Strength novice program until it’s done, but know I’m sacrificing some strength gain by not gaining weight.
    I’ve put around 80 pounds on my squat and deadlift and should be able to bench 200 in two weeks (traveling this week for work) and my press is starting to stall at 125. I’m 5’ 6” and between 176-179 so you have a bit of an idea of where I’m at. Squat is 255 and DL is 275, I think- notes are out in the garage.

Site Supporter
    I’ve limited my calories- as I’ve blown past 40 weight doesn’t come of as quick as it did in the old days.
    I’ll run The Starting Strength novice program until it’s done, but know I’m sacrificing some strength gain by not gaining weight.
    I’ve put around 80 pounds on my squat and deadlift and should be able to bench 200 in two weeks (traveling this week for work) and my press is starting to stall at 125. I’m 5’ 6” and between 176-179 so you have a bit of an idea of where I’m at. Squat is 255 and DL is 275, I think- notes are out in the garage.
    Good work!

I will be 32 this year, and even I cannot eat like I used to and get away with it. I guess it only gets harder.

I see you are in ft worth. Have you thought about getting an SS coach in your area or going to Wichita Falls?

Diet is so much tougher than lifting weights. Man I am hungry all the time!
    Intermittent fasting helped me, Newbie. The exercises did not change even as my weight dropped, so I kind of thought I was losing fat rather than muscle.

References:
    Popular: The Complete Guide to Fasting (Fung, Moore)
    Clinical: The Obesity Code (Fung)

So I've skimmed through a decent portion of this thread as I am re-motivating myself to get serious about working out once again. I am in my twenties and once was in pretty good shape. Lifting typically 4-6 times per week and running 3 times per week for a combined total of around 15 miles.

As life and work became more serious I have found myself less motivated to stay with my schedule and have not been running and only getting to the gym about 3 times a week on average. I am 5'9" and at my peak weighed around 168-170 lbs now I have gained some weight back (was once 208) and am 180 lbs currently.

As an observation I have noticed not a lot people on this thread are working out in the more traditional sense (i.e. chest, back , legs, etc on separate days) is this due in part to different long term goals? Or perhaps something else I may have missed?

I plan on getting back into my same routine as it worked well for me in the past as long as I stay consistent. Diet has never been a problem except now I am overindulging on the weekends but that is a simple and easy fix for me. My previous schedule looking something like this.

Monday (Chest):
    DB Chest Press: 2 Warmup Set, 3*8-10rking Sets
    DB Incline Press: 2 Warmup Sets, 3*8-10 Working Sets
    High Cable Cross: 2 Warmup Sets, 3*12-14 Working Sets
    Low Cable Cross : 2 Warmup Sets, 3*12-14 Working Sets
    Weighted Pushups: 3 Sets of Max Reps
    Chest Dips : 4 Sets * 10 reps
    Tricep Ropes: 5 Set at 15-20 reps (Tricep Burnout)

Run 5 miles

Tuesday (Back):
    Pullups: 5 Sets of 10
    T-Bar Rows: 2 Warmup Sets, 3*8 Working Sets
    Lat Pulldown: 2 Warmup Sets. 3*8 Working Sets
    Dumbell Row: 1 Warmup Set, 3*8 Working Sets
    Barbell Row: 2 Warmup Sets, 3*10-12 Working Sets
    Seated Underhad Rows: 3 sets of 12 reps
    Reverse Cable Fly: 3 Sets of 12 Reps

Wednesday: Run 5 Miles

Thursday (Shoulders):
    Shrugs: 1 Warmup Set, 3*20 Working Sets
    DB Shrugs: 3*20 Working Sets
    DB or Barbell OH Press: 2 Warmup sets. 3*8 Working Sets
    Plate OH Raise: 3 Sets of 12 Reps
    DB Lat Raise: 3 Sets of 12 reps
    Wide Grip Pushups superset with Wide Grip Pullups
    Rotator Cuff work with cables

Friday (Arms):
    Chin-Ups: 5 sets of 10 reps
    Barbell Curls: 1 Warmup Set, 3*10 Working Set
    Hammer Curls: 1 Warmup Set, 3*12 Working Set
    Weighted Tricep Dips: 1 Set Un-weighted, 3*8 Weighted Sets (45-55 lbs.)
    Tricep Press: 2 Warmup Sets, 3*10 Working Sets
    Skullcrushers: 1 Warmup Set, 3*10 Working Sets
    Abs With Close Grip Pushups

Saturday Run 5 Miles

Sunday (Legs):
    Squat: 2 Warmup Sets, 3*12 Working Sets
    Leg Press: 1 Warmup Set, 4*8 Working Sets
    Calf Press: 3*15 Working Set
    Leg Curl: 1 Warmup Set, 3*12 Working Set
    Hamstring Curl: 1 Warmup Set, 3*12 Working Set

This schedule was never set in stone as it rotated every week. If I missed a specific body workout rather than skipping it I would just do it next time I went to the gym that way I never "missed" anything. I never really cared about how much weight I could lift as I was more concerned with how many pushups, pull-up, dips, etc I could do. Also I never had a spotter.

User Tag List