Page 103 of 175 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1742

Thread: Weight Lifting

Thanks! It felt a little slow. I hit 510 just before it. I didn’t want to be greedy and miss. Hindsight I probably should’ve skipped 510 and gone 525.

I like Rip. Look at his main audience. He trains newer to intermediate lifters from what I’ve seen. His stuff absolutely works for those demographics. He speaks in plain English and breaks stuff down simply for people. His written descriptions and corresponding videos are excellent to get the point/form across to new lifters.

I don’t know if any elite total powerlifters or strongmen/Highland games guys that he trains.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Back to the weight training: thanks @BobM for the reference to Starting Strength. I watched one of their "how to start" videos from YT last night, very simple, clear advice. I liked it. I've been allocated a small cache of funds for our new place if I want to put a home gym in the garage, and there were several good suggestions for a rack / weights etc. Apparently where we are moving also has a fitness center so I'll be checking that out as well.

Thanks all for the great input! I appreciate it.
    Dropped back in here to update on my mixed progress since asking a few questions.

Context: We are still in process of moving to our new place, from Tampa FL to Venice FL. Going from the Apartment gym to a house.

I've been hitting the Apt gym 2-3 times a week. I am doing 20" of five specific exercises with what I have available, then 20" of cardio. I feel better when I go, and am maintaining about a 1 lb per week weight loss since January, doing healthy Keto.

I've tried to use the SS philosophy of adding weight every time; right now I'm adding the small teeny weights of 2.5 lbs on each end of the bar to "increase". I'll keep doing that. It's important to me not to strain too much; a couple years ago I had torn something in my lower left shoulder/back that twinges periodically.

I have started listening to the Starting Strength podcast at time. Ya'll are right, Mark Rippetoe is an acquired taste. But his explanations are helpful and straightforward to understand. Plus he likes manual transmissions.

I did get to check out the gym/pool facility at our new location. It's big, but I don't believe they have any barbells. In fact I don't think I saw a squat rack or Smith's either; mostly just dumbbells and nautilus type rigs. It seems to me like an older person's idea of a "gym" (our place isn't 55+, but that's the demographic of the typical buyer). Anyway, I'll try it out when we actually move in (house build scheduled for "June).

I'll also be able to make an appointment and visit the Jits place in Venice, Alliance BJJ. I like the way they describe their program, they even mention they have lessons specifically for "Masters" (aka old farts) in the plan. I like the sound of that.

Thanks, I appreciate all the input and discussion.

My work finally reopened the gym after 4 months because of covid. I had gotten my deadlift back up to 455x5 in a few months after nearly a year off before they closed and covid closed my gym in RI. I haven't squatted in over a year

2 nights ago i pulled 315 for 3 sets of 5. Easy peasy and will go for 405 next week.

Last night I squatted 225 for 5 sets of 5. Pretty easy. Ill go for 315 next week.

Fuck I hate being week.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    My work finally reopened the gym after 4 months because of covid. I had gotten my deadlift back up to 455x5 in a few months after nearly a year off before they closed and covid closed my gym in RI. I haven't squatted in over a year

2 nights ago i pulled 315 for 3 sets of 5. Easy peasy and will go for 405 next week.

Last night I squatted 225 for 5 sets of 5. Pretty easy. Ill go for 315 next week.

Fuck I hate being week.
    Damn, I wish my hospital had a stacked weight room...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

Fuck I hate being week.

You will get your strength back in short order. Still moving awesome weight on the DL.

How is your soreness levels considering the off time?

So I was looking to restart lifting on monday. Today, I took a nail about an inch deep on the inside of my left knee. Picked up a door panel that was previously a bench top, and it hit me in the side off the knee. I buckled, stomach turned, and broke a sweat. It hurt. I've rested, elevated, and stretched very lightly. It's stiff and swollen. If it starts to feel warm or gets any stiffer I'm going to see a doc tomorrow.

I'm so tired of being injured or hurt. I was at a DL of 300x3 but hadn't really worked it up to sets yet. My squat had finally broke into the low 200 range. My bench was still low... that was all back in September '20. A measly 13 months since starting to lift. Strong only compared to before, but not in general. I want to get back to it.

Barely into my strength life and it's injury after injury. I'm so tired of being reactive. I want to go back to improving myself instead of constantly repairing, rehabing, and stuff. I want to get back to doing hard things. It gives you a different mindset. And without it I feel weaker.

This just sucks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    So I was looking to restart lifting on monday. Today, I took a nail about an inch deep on the inside of my left knee. Picked up a door panel that was previously a bench top, and it hit me in the side off the knee. I buckled, stomach turned, and broke a sweat. It hurt. I've rested, elevated, and stretched very lightly. It's stiff and swollen. If it starts to feel warm or gets any stiffer I'm going to see a doc tomorrow.

I'm so tired of being injured or hurt. I was at a DL of 300x3 but hadn't really worked it up to sets yet. My squat had finally broke into the low 200 range. My bench was still low... that was all back in September '20. A measly 13 months since starting to lift. Strong only compared to before, but not in general. I want to get back to it.

Barely into my strength life and it's injury after injury. I'm so tired of being reactive. I want to go back to improving myself instead of constantly repairing, rehabing, and stuff. I want to get back to doing hard things. It gives you a different mindset. And without it I feel weaker.

This just sucks.

Hey at least you're fighting for it.

Just make sure that wound doesn't get infected. I have had to have a staph infection drained, no fun!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    You will get your strength back in short order. Still moving awesome weight on the DL.

How is your soreness levels considering the off time?

Nothing to crazy. Im pretty active. I run a few times every week pushing a stroller and hike a lot. We have some weights at home so I can go through the motions.

I felt good enough to do a 45 minute insanity workout with my wife and 2yo at home today

@Cory

*read this in dad voice*

Don't ignore that wound! Make sure you keep it clean and disinfected. Get better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    @Cory

*read this in dad voice*

Don't ignore that wound! Make sure you keep it clean and disinfected. Get better soon.
    Thanks.

I'm recent on my tetanus (3 years ago). I washed off the tiny amount of blood, and the wound is pretty small. It got a dab of antibiotic ointment and a band aid. If me knee swells anymore, gets warm, or in anyway worsens I'll be headed to the doctors. Right now it's wrapped an elevated again.

User Tag List