Page 78 of 175 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Smiths aren’t the same as a bar, but they are infinitely better than nothing. Nothing is what most people are doing, and I doubt most could move anything close to 400 (heck 300) on a smith.

Congrats on your achievement.

Yesterday I finished 6 x 10 on DL with a set of 250 x 10. 250 x 10 is close to the limit for me when it comes to using a double overhand grip. I even tried the hook grip but it made it more difficult for me.
    Sounds like it is time for straps. Your grip strength is just fine with 250 x 10. 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    Sounds like it is time for straps. Your grip strength is just fine with 250 x 10. 👍🏻
    Nothing worse than doing deadlifts close to your grip limit on a bent bar. There are a few bars in my gym that have a slight bend in them. You get a torquing action from the bar depending on where the bend is relative to your forearms. It helps to roll the bar before starting and look for a wobble. No wobble - good to go!

Site Supporter
    What is the minimum reps and set range one should do to just maintain strength?

I've read 3x5 and even 3x3.

The number of sets required will be a function of your strength and training level.

Intensity and frequency plays a role here. You can maintain (and gain) on something like the Easy Strength program with two sets of five, but it’s 5-6 times a week.

IIRC, according to Lyle McDonald, maintain intensity and reps, but you can delete 1/3 of your sets (i.e., volume).

I tweaked my back in September and took 6 weeks off. On the epic comeback, on bench I worked up to 225x2 one day and hit 225x9 the next workout, for Squats I hit 245x8 with the SSB and the next workout I got a decent triple at 335. Before that I was benching 225x10,10,and 14-15 and squatting 335 for 8-10 So I think I was 2-3 weeks off from being where I left off. Now I have bronchitis I can’t shake and the if the current antibiotics don’t clear it up Cipro may be on the table and I’ll be out another 16 weeks. Even if I’m out for 6 month it’ll only take a couple months to get back to where I left off.

It really doesn’t take much to maintain a base of strength, which shouldn’t be confused with being conditioned to express that strength. Starting off with an empty bar and working up 10% per set, in sets of 5 to 85-90% once a week should be plenty.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter

Take a look at Andy Baker’s training without a plan: https://www.andybaker.com/how-to-train-without-a-plan/

That’s mainly the old training approach, and linear programs aren’t recommended for long periods other than beginner strength level.

To maintain strength while focusing on conditioning (what I’m currently doing) I work up to a heavy set then decrease weight, usually by a %, and put in some volume.

Yesterday I deadlifted:
    135 x 5
    225 x 3
    275 x 2
    315 x 1
    365 x 1
    405 x 1
    455 x 3
    335 for 3 sets of 10

Took about 20min to complete. As I work up, including top set, I drop the weight. I’m stimulating my CNS system by hitting the top set, and reducing injury risk by putting in volume at lighter weights. I do something similar with squats and pressing. Accessory work is accomplished in my HIIT program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    That’s mainly the old training approach, and linear programs aren’t recommended for long periods other than beginner strength level.

To maintain strength while focusing on conditioning (what I’m currently doing) I work up to a heavy set then decrease weight, usually by a %, and put in some volume.

Yesterday I deadlifted:
    135 x 5
    225 x 3
    275 x 2
    315 x 1
    365 x 1
    405 x 1
    455 x 3
    335 for 3 sets of 10

Took about 20min to complete. As I work up, including top set, I drop the weight. I’m stimulating my CNS system by hitting the top set, and reducing injury risk by putting in volume at lighter weights. I do something similar with squats and pressing. Accessory work is accomplished in my HIIT program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What does your squat routine look like?

User Tag List