Page 60 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

I know there's a place for straps, especially for those whose ability outpaces their grip, but I never liked using them and kind of like the simplicity and symmetry of the entire body working as a unit to lift the weight in the deadlift. (That said, I'm always happy when I'm done and I'm not really into PRs anymore, so that probably enters the equation as well.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

At the time it wasn’t a thought in my mind, but I missed the opportunity to build a nice grip strength foundation when I was powerlifting, by using mixed grip or straps. Especially for the younger guys, grip strength will serve you for a life time. The grip strength built with heavy DOH deadlifts is much more useful than the deadlift. Outside of the gym being able to grab something as hard as you can and then apply force to it, is one of the true expressions of strength.

Edited: I’ve also had raging bouts of tennis and golfer’s elbow. There are practical limits and balancing acts that need to be made on an individual basis.
    Last edited by txdpd; 05-24-2019 at 09:38 AM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    At the time it wasn’t a thought in my mind, but I missed the opportunity to build a nice grip strength foundation when I was powerlifting, by using mixed grip or straps. Especially for the younger guys, grip strength will serve you for a life time. The grip strength built with heavy DOH deadlifts is much more useful than the deadlift. Outside of the gym being able to grab something as hard as you can and then apply force to it, is one of the true expressions of strength.
    I see so many people deadlifting with mixed grip or straps unnecessarily. People going through the motions with light to moderate weight with a mixed grip because that is what they have witnessed others do on heavy lifts. I get the urge to tell them to be symmetrical when they pull and go mixed only if they need it but I mind my own business. Then I see people using a mixed grip and straps with weights that should not warrant it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    As you go heavier in the deadlift, look into using straps to ease the strain on your grip. Are you going to compete in powerlifting? If not go with straps on the heavier weights or volume sets.

If straps allow me to focus on lifting heavier weights and form, while allowing me to worry less about grip, that’s a win in my book.

Sometimes you need to do what works for you and goes against the purists recommendations.
    But isn't that weakness leaving the body?

I get it, if there comes a time where I can deadlift more than I can hang onto, I will use straps. But for now, I'm OK without them.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    But isn't that weakness leaving the body?

I get it, if there comes a time where I can deadlift more than I can hang onto, I will use straps. But for now, I'm OK without them.
    I had a 5 month lay-off from Deadlifting, and currently I am LPing back up in weight. Straps got me thru my volume deadlift days. I would usually DOH the first set, then use straps for the remaining sets. This was a recommendation from Andy Baker in his power building workout, and he uses the straps so you do not fry your CNS on the volume work. Anyways, just some insight on where the idea came from.

Plus mixed grip and I do not get along, so there’s that as well. Do what works best for you.

Just got back from the Gym. Squats, box squats, deadlifts and followed it up with some walking lunges. I went heavy on Tuesday so I did more volume today.

The guy who grabbed the squat rack next to me quickly worked up to 365 while squatting in Crocks. I would never handle that kind of weight in spongy footwear like that. This guy was easily 225 Lbs + 365 on his back all on Crocks, I just cringed. I haven't bothered with power lifting shoes but I wear a thin sole crossfit shoe that provides me proper stability. He moved on to deadlifts starting with 225 and a mixed grip. No surprise. Didn't dump the Crocks either. Don't they understand power transfer to the floor? Obviously not!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Just got back from the Gym. Squats, box squats, deadlifts and followed it up with some walking lunges. I went heavy on Tuesday so I did more volume today.

The guy who grabbed the squat rack next to me quickly worked up to 365 while squatting in Crocks. I would never handle that kind of weight in spongy footwear like that. This guy was easily 225 Lbs + 365 on his back all on Crocks, I just cringed. I haven't bothered with power lifting shoes but I wear a thin sole crossfit shoe that provides me proper stability. He moved on to deadlifts starting with 225 and a mixed grip. No surprise. Didn't dump the Crocks either. Don't they understand power transfer to the floor? Obviously not!
    Was that me?

Jk, but I sometimes Deadlift and Squat in a variety of footwear. I know it's not smart or ideal, but I take advantage of gym time when I get it. Never owned Crocks!

How heavy on lunges did you go? I don't do those, but I should. My wimp factor causes me to say no!

I am thinking that 20 rep squats may be over for me. It's a debate in my head right now if I should keep going or not.

Today was Day 1 of week 3 (it's a 6 week program x 3 days each week). 260 x 20 on squats really got to me. Probably could have got 22 reps total if I didn't care about puking, but I pushed through to 20. My guess is for 20 rep squats, somewhere around 270-275 would be about my limit if I went in fresh.

Maybe I am psyching myself out because I hit 20 reps every time, but each workout is sucking more than the last.

Deadlifting @ 270. 3 sets of 12. PR of 320, having some (mixed) grip issues near the end. 4 sets of 10 give me less grip issues.

Have been working at grip with one handed descending kettle bell swings with a 50# bell and doing plate pinches with a 45# plate to help improve grip strength.

Need to get a captain of crush or something as my current 80# grip exerciser is about tapped out.

At what weight do the masses think straps erc are Ok?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rest of today's workout.

Pec Butterfly drop sets
    23 x 175
    14 x 160
    12 x 145
    15 x 130

Smith Machine Flat Bench Press
    3 sets of 10 @ 150
    Smith Machine Incline Narrow Grip Bench Press
    3 sets of 8 @ 100
    Plate Hand Squeeze
    3 sets of 15 @ 45
    Deadlifts
    3 sets of 12 @ 270
    Hip Thrusts
    5 sets of 10 @ 240
    Bent arm dumbbell pull over
    3 sets of 15 @ 50

30 min tread mill 4.3mph pace, incline at 15. +5min cool down.

Have been back at it for about 3 months and down 35 lbs.

Need to start taping as my weight loss keeps stalling/floating but I'm doing a lot more weights than the last time I cut and less cardio.I keep going down in clothes sizes so the stalls in weight loss aren't worrying me too bad but it would be mice to have data.

Quote Originally Posted by _JD_ View Post
    Deadlifting @ 270. 3 sets of 12. PR of 320, having some (mixed) grip issues near the end. 4 sets of 10 give me less grip issues.

Have been working at grip with one handed descending kettle bell swings with a 50# bell and doing plate pinches with a 45# plate to help improve grip strength.

Need to get a captain of crush or something as my current 80# grip exerciser is about tapped out.

At what weight do the masses think straps erc are Ok?

When the barbell slips out of your hand before you can complete the rep. I was able to pull 275 for 3 reps without straps or a belt, and it's my 9th barbell workout this year.

Some other things to try:

• 2 hand kettlebell swings, go as heavy as you can. On the upswing, try to bend the handle and stop the swing from being completed. This will kill your forearms.
    • Hanging pull ups. Do a pull up, then hang for a count of 30 mississippi. Do another pull up if you complete the full 30. Do this until you fall off the pull up bar.
    • Also, farmer's walks with two kettlebells in one hand. No rest - when it falls out of your hand on one side, switch to the other side.

There's also this that I came up with:

Saw some grip work stuff using grip-specific gear (@JujiMufu on Instagram) and tried to adapt it to kettlebells.

Pinch grip type 1

Pinch grip type 2

90 degree grip (hard pic to take, but make a right angle with your hand and hang the KB off it)

Hanging grip

Crush grip (you can do this without the thumb ovewrap, but I do)

and,

EDIT: That crumpling newspaper thing is no joke!
    Last edited by Jay585; 05-25-2019 at 09:03 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

User Tag List