Page 128 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 1757

Thread: Weight Lifting

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    In the last month I think I’ve worked out 2-3 times. Covid and other things caused me to lose some weight.

Went to the gym to start a 6 x 10, 4 x 8, 3 x 6, 3 x 3 cycle of OHP, Squat, Deadlift, Bench.

I’m pressed for time so I did all four 6 x 10 exercises today. Wow that kicked my butt, and was probably not that smart. I’ve lost some strength and endurance over the last month but I think it will comeback quick enough.

Thankful to be back in the gym.
    I'm with you. FTO is sapping my will to live, let alone work out. The first week was OK, everything else is giving me exercise in excuse making...

One more week....

pat

Did a 280-pound larsen bench press with a legal pause.

Stared doing them because my almost 70 year old knees have been screaming lately.

After that I did a single with 295 pounds regular pause bench press.
    Trying to get 315 pounds touch and go in the next few weeks, than its pull back for a few months and heal up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Busted my left elbow and think I tore my rotator in the right shoulder. Waiting for ortho visit on the shoulder.

Still have to put in the work. Today I did belt squats, lunges, reverse hyper, back extensions and some incline sit-ups. Also did some banded hammie work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Damn dude. Hope you're doing better soon. I've been working my cardio up on the airdyne lately. Need to add lifting back in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Damn dude. Hope you're doing better soon. I've been working my cardio up on the airdyne lately. Need to add lifting back in as well.
    Thanks man. I’ve been doing whatever I can to still get the work in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    Did a 280-pound larsen bench press with a legal pause.

Stared doing them because my almost 70 year old knees have been screaming lately.

After that I did a single with 295 pounds regular pause bench press.
    Trying to get 315 pounds touch and go in the next few weeks, than its pull back for a few months and heal up a little.
    Those are impressive numbers.

Duces

I've been doing 5/3/1 for a few cycles now but realize I should cut down on weight as well as work on cardio a bit. My thought was to focus on the weight loss first before doing before the cardio, but in any case would you recommend continuing 5/3/1 during weight loss or cardio focused periods to maintain muscle and strength as much as possible, or change to a different training program temporarily? I'm guessing in any case I'd still want to focus on squat, deadlift, bench and overhead press but not sure if I should cut down on the supplemental work and/or change the rep and weight scheme at all.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    I've been doing 5/3/1 for a few cycles now but realize I should cut down on weight as well as work on cardio a bit. My thought was to focus on the weight loss first before doing before the cardio, but in any case would you recommend continuing 5/3/1 during weight loss or cardio focused periods to maintain muscle and strength as much as possible, or change to a different training program temporarily? I'm guessing in any case I'd still want to focus on squat, deadlift, bench and overhead press but not sure if I should cut down on the supplemental work and/or change the rep and weight scheme at all.

Cardio is a good thing, but like all things, it has a price. I would still focus on lifting weights but with the knowledge that it won't be like just lifting heavy weights and eating lots of food.

The work out I got from SouthNarc in this thread, 6x10, 4x8, 3x6, 3x3, is what I am doing right now to he back into the grove after being out of the gym for a month.

A 3 x 5 or 5 x 5 is, in my opinion, a good way to at least maintain strength while being able to focus on other things.

@Robert Mitchum @03RN and many more here would have even better advice.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    If you are cutting weight (in a caloric deficit), I would recommend lifting, so your body prioritizes getting rid of fat, instead of metabolizing muscles (because you're showing you still "need" the muscle).

For 5/3/1, doing a FSL, SSL, or BBS template would be fine in a deficit (in order of my personal preference). If you don't know what those mean, say so, and I will explain.

If you want to do something different, do something different. Sometimes you just need a break. When I feel stale with the barbell, I do kettlebell and bodyweight stuff for a while until I miss the barbell.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

I recently was in FL for almost a month and I bumped my calories over maintenance to try and “reset” myself a bit. I knew I’d gain some weight but my metabolism was getting very slow. Gaining a little weight allowed me to better dial in where I need to be in order to cut at a reasonable pace. Which for me it turns out I can eat 1900-2050 calories a day (400-500 more than I was eating) as long as I am doing 10k steps and working out. The 45 minute cardio sessions were way overkill.

Still working with the KB, just order Pavels S&S book to try out based on the mostly positive feedback I’ve seen. The stationary bike has been a godsend after I sprained my LCL last fall running, which is finally back to 100%. A cool byproduct of using the bike for my cardio is my legs are getting fairly vascular which is not something I’ve ever gotten from lifting.

Name:  73324C75-9ECC-4875-A828-4BB4113CF2F6.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  23.8 KB

It's been great staying consistent for a few months. Even at 37 I'm feeling like I'm getting to where I want to go.

Pulled 455 for 2sets of 5 and 1 of 4 last night with pullups and rows after. The gym at my work has a handle for tbar rows that I love and it's been nice to add them in since I nearly always do barbell or DB rows. I had to order some new scrub tops and I'm stretching the fabric in the Large Dickies scrubs I wear now

Still at 220.

User Tag List