Page 152 of 175 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 1750

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Ok, ok, ya;ll convinced me, I canceled my p-f membership yesterday.

I'm thinking of getting a home gym. We're done with RV travel and are going to be in a house for the forseeable future. So I either have the garage or a room I can dedicate to some kind of setup. Since I've been making lifting a part of my workout for a while now, I am pondering just getting a decent barbell, some weights, and a squat / bench rack. That way I can at least do the five core lifts (squat, bench, press, row, dead) at home. We are heading out of town for a few weeks on vacation, so during that period I'm going to explore options.

PS I kept wearing the LCR. As it turned out, all I had to do was add a MMT ACP backside to cover the kydex, and reposition it slightly more centerline. Turned out not to be a problem.
    It’s been mentioned a few times earlier in the thread, but in case you didn’t see it, a few of us have recommended the book The Barbell Prescription by Baker and Sullivan. It’s written for lifters over 40 and beyond.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    This is the way. Download the StrongLifts 5x5 ap & crush the world 5 measly lbs at a time..Dumbbells/ab-wheel/kb/hang-straps/rings don't ever see as much use as I promise myself they will, but by gawd bench/squat/row/press/deads happen every week

Attachment 103399
    Concur with all of this. All the accessory and unilateral and other garbage just sits there but the barbells and the rack get used all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    This is the way. Download the StrongLifts 5x5 ap & crush the world 5 measly lbs at a time...after all, it's just two wafer thin 2.5lb plates added every workout. You don't even notice them until you get to 225x5x5 and feel stoopidly good about yourself.

This what some people would think of as the dining room of their house:

Power rack, bar & 370lbs of Olympic weights. Bar is in the upmost racked position to be out my my 6yr old son's way while he parkours over/on/around the front of the house.

Dumbbells/ab-wheel/kb/hang-straps/rings don't ever see as much use as I promise myself they will, but by gawd bench/squat/row/press/deads happen every week

Attachment 103399
    I've grown fond of my kettlebells for when I'm short on time. You get some power and conditioning going in a very short period of time.

The ab wheel I consider the most insane torture devices ever invented. If you want to feel weak, use an ab wheel. However, I think the carryover to bracing for the big lifts is exceptional.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I've grown fond of my kettlebells for when I'm short on time. You get some power and conditioning going in a very short period of time.

The ab wheel I consider the most insane torture devices ever invented. If you want to feel weak, use an ab wheel. However, I think the carryover to bracing for the big lifts is exceptional.
    The ab wheel made me feel like a little kid the same way rocking did the first time in the Marines

Anyone have experience with the ageless athlete program?

At 35 with multiple chronic injuries and surgeries doing the 5x5 is not appealing but I’m a firm believer that movement is medicine.

My workouts have become sporadic and a solid program will help keep me on track. I care more about movement and aging well than mass or size now.

Any recommendations?

Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post

I like combing ab wheel with standing or kneeling ab pull downs on accessory supersets. Both help with bracing in different ways. Higher rep sets with a lot of control. You will feel it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post

At 35 with multiple chronic injuries and surgeries doing the 5x5 is not appealing but I’m a firm believer that movement is medicine.

My workouts have become sporadic and a solid program will help keep me on track. I care more about movement and aging well than mass or size now.

Any recommendations?
    Are you completely opposed to barbell movements? Instead of 5 x 5, you could go the starting Strength method and do 3 x 5. While it may not sound like much, 2 less sets does add up.

Site Supporter

Any recommendations?
    I'm nearing 50 with multiple chronic injuries. I think the Starting Strength 3x5 routine is pretty manageable. I struggle with the press as my left shoulder lacks the mobility to lock out, but I think the programming is pretty solid.

Site Supporter
    Managed to drop a 10-pound weight off the end of the bar (bench) onto my foot last week, while pulling off the 25lb behind it and paying more attention to the spandex covered rear end in my line of vision than to what my hands were doing. Fortunately, only bruised one metatarsal, not broken.

On the good news side, I've been making some progress getting additional reps at my top weight on the bench. I've been stuck at this weight for several months, making progress on more reps at lower weight but not ready to add weight at the top end. I got back on the bench only about 18 months ago after dealing with PT on a bad neck. Progress was steady for a while but have hit that wall.... I may consider going back to seated machine presses for a while, just to change things up. We'll see.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter

Any recommendations?
    What helps me at age 61 is making sure any changes (increases) are gradual, and including slightly different variants of an exercise that can give your connective tissues a little less repetitive stress. For example, I need to back squat twice a week to keep the pattern grooved, but for one of those sessions I will do 8 rep paused squats. For benching I will do one regular bench session and one close grip session, etc.

At my age 3 squat sessions a week would wreck me [emoji3]. Depending on how many weeks in a row I’ve been having productive sessions, I either do 3 fullbody sessions a week (never squatting and deadlifting on the same day), or I do 4 sessions a week in an upper/lower pattern, where on my heavy deadlift day I will do pause squats, etc.

User Tag List