Page 123 of 175 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1749

Thread: Weight Lifting

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    I know the cns thing gets pushed a lot in misinformation. But it’s a real thing. And I also believe that overtraining is a serious problem, but some people who think they are. Are not actually pushing themselves hard enough to be overtraining.

I’d suggest to eat a shit ton and rest. Let your body recover and fuel up. How was your diet during that particular week of training? Or your sleep?

I may be a weirdo. But I don’t like to try 1rm more than once a month. The benefits form it other than saying you did it are just not there for me. So I try to stick to within that 90 percent of max range. Obviously these are just this dudes opinions and we all handle and can recover at our own rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, I take your advice seriously.

You are absolutely right about 1rm. This was one of those things I did to prove it to myself and push myself.

My diet is decent. I do not drink any alcohol or drink any sugary drinks, and I do not eat a ton of sweets. I take plenty of high quality vitamins and I drink more water than anyone I know. That said, I eat too much bread and I need to increase my protein intake.

Sleep is where I’m the worst. Some days I get five hours, other days I get nine. It’s never really been an issue in the past but it seems to effect me more now. I’m 35 and lifting heavier and more frequently than ever before, so the sleep thing must be fixed.

Would you even do curls or dips this week?

Thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Thank you, I take your advice seriously.

You are absolutely right about 1rm. This was one of those things I did to prove it to myself and push myself.

My diet is decent. I do not drink any alcohol or drink any sugary drinks, and I do not eat a ton of sweets. I take plenty of high quality vitamins and I drink more water than anyone I know. That said, I eat too much bread and I need to increase my protein intake.

Sleep is where I’m the worst. Some days I get five hours, other days I get nine. It’s never really been an issue in the past but it seems to effect me more now. I’m 35 and lifting heavier and more frequently than ever before, so the sleep thing must be fixed.

Would you even do curls or dips this week?

Thank you for your input.
    I struggle with getting over 5-6 hours of sleep. I’ve gotten to the point though, where if I get the same 5-6 hrs of sleep, time wise it seems to help. Like it’s at least a consistent time of rest. If that makes sense.

The bread thing is real! I’ve been there, I love it. I have been trying to only eat sourdough bread if possible since it seems to digest better and is good for gut health. Also jasmine rice is good too for digestion and gut.

One thing I just thought of was if you are going to do the high weight/intensity workouts I have found a intra workout and a concoction bowl pre workout Is huge for recovery and having a good clean carb load for the workout. I have fell in love with granite supplements, I don’t really take supplements but that intra is badass for recovery and being able to walk after them wicked leg days.

(Concoction bowl- 1/4 cup cream of rice, tbsp of nattie pb and a shot of pure maple syrup. You can throw in some protein powder or whatever. But they are easy to eat and sit well in your gut fir a lift session. Thank you John Meadows rip)

If you are asking during a rest week doing curls and dips? I’d say try to do as little as possible. Banded work is great because it does not break the muscle down that same and helps with building joints.

Im not a expert, but I’ve learned a lot through all my trama and dozen broken bones I’ve accrued lol. I also like to listen and watch a lot from guys who have been in the game a long time. I also wish I would do more with what I know. Which is my goal this year. Put everything together and build the strongest and fittest I can be.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Have any of you ever pushed yourself so hard in them gym, that you have felt "off" several days after that?

Last week, I went crazy. Squatted around 400 pounds (close to my max) three different days, racked pulled heavy, dead lifted heavy, benched and shoulder pressed. Plus some accessory work. 6 or 7 straight days of lifting. While I am use to feeling the "post workout flu", this is lasting longer than normal.

I don't feel terrible, but I feel like I lifted heavy yesterday, even tough I didn't. Legs feel heavy, energy level low, and just the normal feeling after lifting heavy.

Working out with no breaks is not something I normally do, and not something anyone should do. I simply had the opportunity and wanted to push myself. The only gym work I am doing now is accessory work, and I am not planning on deadlifting or squatting till next week.
    This is without a doubt a real thing when you suddenly increase workload, particularly at heavy weights/high intensities.

Your plan is good: a deload week, with plenty of movement to promote bloodflow, but nothing approaching a 1RM, nothing that loads the spine too heavily. Eat lots, sleep as much as you can.

I have been going to the gym with my buddy for the past week. Figured a good change in pace from the deadliftathon last month.

I realized some things I would like to key in on and having all the machines at hand to be muscle specific is slick. I have gotten spoiled from working out at home for the past year. Having to share or wait for equipment sucks.

Nothing replaces a bar and plates though for pure strength building and compound movements.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    I have been going to the gym with my buddy for the past week. Figured a good change in pace from the deadliftathon last month.

I realized some things I would like to key in on and having all the machines at hand to be muscle specific is slick. I have gotten spoiled from working out at home for the past year. Having to share or wait for equipment sucks.

Nothing replaces a bar and plates though for pure strength building and compound movements.

You're right, nothing beats the barbell. I think you have to "earn" the right to do curls.

That said, a change up is nice at times. Both for the mind, and maybe to help you get over a hump or work on a defect.

Waiting for equipment is the worst.

I've been pretty inconsistent last couple months. My shed is cold so it takes a lot of discipline to lift as much as I need to and I've been to lazy to lift after work at the gym there. Midnight workouts aren't that bad it's the 6oclock wake-up call from my 3yo.

My bench has been stagnant, my deadlifts ok, 12-15 reps with 365. I got a pull-up bar station for my wife for Christmas which is nice. It's in out living room.

Running 2-3 days has been ok. Did 6 miles yesterday.

I lift with my neighbor here and there and he's been the most helpful. He's a few weeks into a bodybuilding show diet but still as strong as normal.

Today he wanted to see where he was at for deadlifting. 475 was easy for both. He went up to 485 and couldn't get it. I jumped up to 5 plates and nailed it easy. It's been a long time since I've done that.

3 sets of pulldowns with 175, the 2 sets db rows 120lbs for 20 then 14.

I had to go home after that and left him doing t bar rows.

Good day

My buddy bailed on me for gym trip. So I set my shit up at home and did a Yoke box squat session and a couple super sets. Have not did any heavy squatting in a while and took me a bit to get my footing and form dialed in for box squats. My last was funny enough my cleanest rep. At least next session I’ll be a lot better form at the start instead of dancing around for the first 8 sets. Squats kick my ass a lot more than deadlifts and especially the Yoke box squats.

Idk if anyone gives a shit. But I’ll probably randomly post my lifting sessions. Maybe someone will get inspired, try something new or throw some ideas my way?

My only lifting partner is having some serious demons with the 12oz curls and I have been trying to rally him back to life. He was doing good but went silent yesterday. I really fucking hate alcohol sometimes.

Yoke box squats x3 til I worked up to some singles.

Then super set 1.
    Ab pull downs 3x10
    Hip thrusts 3x10
    Planks 3x10 seconds

Super set 2
    Ab roller 3x8
    Reverse hyper 3x10
    Wall sits 3x30 seconds

Site Supporter
    I googled but didn’t spot anything at least in PF….

Anyone have any suggestions for cold weather training? My squat rack is now in a very large cold garage [emoji1]

Space heater to warm the area a bit just to start? Borrow my wife’s hair dryer to warm up the bar? Use gloves? Just suck it up?

Just cotton sweats over my legs and knee sleeves?

Mr. Heater propane heater has been more than adequate for me. About a 20 degree delta between my garage and the outside during winter.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I googled but didn’t spot anything at least in PF….

Anyone have any suggestions for cold weather training? My squat rack is now in a very large cold garage [emoji1]

Space heater to warm the area a bit just to start? Borrow my wife’s hair dryer to warm up the bar? Use gloves? Just suck it up?

Just cotton sweats over my legs and knee sleeves?

All the above. Just embrace that it's going to me miserable.

A hoodie and gloves help with the cold. The space heater is a good idea.

You can also just adjust your training during the cold months, along with your diet if you are doing less.

Here are some cold weather squats and other cold weather workouts.

User Tag List