Page 99 of 175 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    For you serious lifters, at what point do you increase weight for a given exercise? Is it just a feel thing? Is it when you can do a certain number of reps or sets with a certain weight?
    There are different approaches to this, such as RPE (Rating of Perceived Exertion), RIR (Reps In Reserve), a percentage based program based off a tested rep max, or just intuitive feel.

I suggest a percentage based program for anyone who doesn't have a lot of experience. An LP, or Linear Progression is a good way to start. My recommendation would be Greyskull LP, although 5/3/1 for Beginners is a good option, and Starting Strength / Stronglifts are a little worse, IMO, but will get the job done. You will probably only run this for a few months before needing a new program. I would recommend the 5/3/1 series, which offer a ton of options and are well laid out, designed by a monstrously strong guy (who loves guns) who has made a lot of athletes stronger and faster.

If you have other questions, I'll do my best to give answers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    For you serious lifters, at what point do you increase weight for a given exercise? Is it just a feel thing? Is it when you can do a certain number of reps or sets with a certain weight?
    What is your goal? Growing muscle, moving more weight, both, or neither? Of course, strength and muscle size usually grow together to an extent, but you can emphasize one.

For growing muscle, intensity, time under tension, and consistency are paramount, IMO. By increasing the number of reps, slowing the reps down, and/or doing different variations of exercises, you can have very intense workouts and grow muscle without adding a lot of weight.

For getting stronger, progressive overload is the name of the game. Let’s say you’re squatting 225 5x5, and that last set is a struggle. Get to the point where you do it with excellent form and feeling like you still have a little gas in the tank (the bar moves smoothly), and then add 5 lbs for the next squat workout. If that goes up easily, add more. If you feel you’re close to the limit, stick with that until it’s easier, then repeat the process. It’s slow, but it works. Think about the effect of adding 5 lbs every 2 weeks for a year.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    What is your goal? Growing muscle, moving more weight, both, or neither? Of course, strength and muscle size usually grow together to an extent, but you can emphasize one.

For growing muscle, intensity, time under tension, and consistency are paramount, IMO. By increasing the number of reps, slowing the reps down, and/or doing different variations of exercises, you can have very intense workouts and grow muscle without adding a lot of weight.

For getting stronger, progressive overload is the name of the game. Let’s say you’re squatting 225 5x5, and that last set is a struggle. Get to the point where you do it with excellent form and feeling like you still have a little gas in the tank (the bar moves smoothly), and then add 5 lbs for the next squat workout. If that goes up easily, add more. If you feel you’re close to the limit, stick with that until it’s easier, then repeat the process. It’s slow, but it works. Think about the effect of adding 5 lbs every 2 weeks for a year.
    The goal is more towards injury prevention, mobility, and strength more than muscle mass. Most of my life when I've exercised, its been pretty casual, and while it has been a bit of a help in various ways, there were no obvious major changes. A couple years back I actually trained intentionally for a half marathon, and saw dramatic increases in ability and physiology, and right now I'm looking to try a similar thing with strength training. This year I've mostly been working with what I've got, equipment-wise, which is mostly dumbbells and a pull up bar. I'm looking at adding to the weight collection, and I'm trying to figure out a roadmap.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I suggest a percentage based program for anyone who doesn't have a lot of experience. An LP, or Linear Progression is a good way to start. My recommendation would be Greyskull LP, although 5/3/1 for Beginners is a good option, and Starting Strength / Stronglifts are a little worse, IMO, but will get the job done. You will probably only run this for a few months before needing a new program.
    I'm about 2 months into starting strength, and while I'm happy to stick with it I'd be willing to switch to a more optimal program if it makes sense. Is there any reason you'd recommend Greyskull LP over SS?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    I'm about 2 months into starting strength, and while I'm happy to stick with it I'd be willing to switch to a more optimal program if it makes sense. Is there any reason you'd recommend Greyskull LP over SS?
    Are you a new lifter?

I liked the Greyskull book, as I felt as though it was a good, concise intro to the barbell lifts and explanations behind the program. I just looked at it, and have to admit I remembered it slightly differently than it truly is. I was blending it together with the reddit r/fitness Basic Beginner Routine (https://thefitness.wiki/routines/r-f...inner-routine/), which is similar, but slightly improved.

Basically, I prefer a little more variation in rep range, I think it's an old superstition/equipped powerlifting bias that has more squatting at the expense of deadlifting, and I like the inclusion of pullups/chinups, both because it's a practical movement for a human (you should be able to pull yourself up onto something), and because upper back strength is critical for real world strength and injury prevention long term.

All that said, I wouldn't expect most people to run any linear progression more than 3-6 months; I believe they all recommend transitioning off once you've stalled/reloaded 3X at the same weight. So if you've already seen results and are happy with SS, stay on that and finish strong. Even if you're not planning on competing or trying to smash records, lifting is a process that should be thought about in terms of years, not weeks. Once you're done with an LP, you can assess where you are and where you want to be. You'll plan differently if you want to compete in a powerlifting meet, if it's for your career, if you want to look better naked, or if you just want to be strong and able to move furniture and play with kids when you're a senior citizen. And there are great programs for all those needs.

Also, how old are you?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Are you a new lifter?
    I think I'd qualify. I haven't lifted regularly in ~5+ years before starting SS again, so I went with the beginner SS program. I'd say before that I would lift weights more as exercise and would sorta increase weights over time, but I didn't really train or use actual programs and also neglected certain lifts completely such as DLs.

Quote Originally Posted by _JD_ View Post
    Also, how old are you?
    Mid 30s

Site Supporter
    I think I'd qualify. I haven't lifted regularly in ~5+ years before starting SS again, so I went with the beginner SS program. I'd say before that I would lift weights more as exercise and would sorta increase weights over time, but I didn't really train or use actual programs and also neglected certain lifts completely such as DLs.

Mid 30s

We are about the same age.

My advice is to stick with SS 3-6 months total. It’s not there aren’t other options, or even better options, but I think it’s effective enough for beginners or getting back into the swing of things.

After that initial time is up, then explore other options.

User Tag List