Page 62 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by _JD_ View Post
    Not using chalk. Anyone experiment with a grip stick vs chalk?
    Chalk starts off as magnesium carbonate that is usually mined in China. It's washed and seperated in a chemical baths. Some companies add chemicals to improve the nature of their "chalk". Grip stick is a mixture of alcohol and silica, and sometimes aluminum compounds. Liquid chalk can range from water and chalk, to chalk and grip stick. Chalk absorbs oil and water on your hands, too much chalk can act as a lubricant. The alcohol in grip stick dissolves oil on your hands, and the silica absorbs it. If there are aluminum compounds, it's and antiperspirant and keeps you from sweating. If you have hyperhidrosis you'll probably want an antiperspirant (a dab of underarm deodorant will work). If you have oily skin you'll want to get you hands as clean as possible, dish soap works well, and wipe down you equipment with a degreaser or alcohol. Then use whatever product you want.

When my block chalk runs out, I'm switching over to liquid chalk. My kids like getting in the chalk bucket and turning the garage into a winter wonderland.
    Last edited by txdpd; 05-27-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Probably a dumb and incredibly vague question, but at what point should one consider using a weight belt...if it is at all advisable.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Contrary to what some believe the lifting belt is not used directly for support. The belt is used as a fixture you can push against to tighten/stabilize your trunk. It is a tool the lifter uses to enable a tighter trunk not a brace or support device. Merely wearing a lifting belt with out using for it's intended purpose does not provide any real support. It also serves as a reminder to brace your core.

Stay away from cheap quality belts. Especially the belts that have varying widths. Everyone has seen the belts with widths that are 3" in front and 6"-8" in the back. This is an obvious telltale sign that the belt was manufactured for a job it was never intended to do. You can't just wear a strap-on device and expect results.

Quality belts:

http://www.bobsbelts.com/

https://generalleathercraft.com/prod...lifting-belts/

http://www.bestbelts.net/

https://www.dominionstrengthtraining.com/

When to use is dependent upon the lifter and what they are doing. Generally with a belt one can brace their core better by bracing into the belt. Lifters may want to do this during lifts like squats, deadlifts & overhead presses. The idea being to support & protect the spine. Some lifters reserve the belt for heavy sets, some wear the belt for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    When to use is dependent upon the lifter and what they are doing. Generally with a belt one can brace their core better by bracing into the belt. Lifters may want to do this during lifts like squats, deadlifts & overhead presses. The idea being to support & protect the spine. Some lifters reserve the belt for heavy sets, some wear the belt for everything.
    Let's suppose a lifter treats the belt like straps: they don't use them, preferring to ensure their grip strength (core strength in this case) is up to the task.

Does this mean that a belt-less lifter will develop a stronger core than a belted lifter (both lifters have identical technique and pull the same weight)?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Let's suppose a lifter treats the belt like straps: they don't use them, preferring to ensure their grip strength (core strength in this case) is up to the task.

Does this mean that a belt-less lifter will develop a stronger core than a belted lifter (both lifters have identical technique and pull the same weight)?
    If you can brace into a belt with greater force than belt-less are you not working your core musculature harder? Potentially you could use the belt to become stronger belt-less.

Also let's not forget that there is a psychological aspect of a belt. If you think it is going to help you, well then...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    If you can brace into a belt with greater force than belt-less are you not working your core musculature harder? Potentially you could use the belt to become stronger belt-less.

Also let's not forget that there is a psychological aspect of a belt. If you think it is going to help you, well then...
    That's the thing, I'm not sure. Let's say you have a belted lifter who can squat 400 pounds. If you take away his belt, can he still squat 400 pounds?

If yes, then why bother with the belt?

If he can't squat the 400, then was the belt a crutch?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

That's the thing, I'm not sure. Let's say you have a belted lifter who can squat 400 pounds. If you take away his belt, can he still squat 400 pounds?

Most of the literature I've read online from respected sources recommend to use the belt only for your top sets or PRs.

When I deadlift, by way of example, I only use it for my final weight. I think it helps both psychologically as well as by giving you a framework to stabilize your core with.

I don't think it's so much a matter of not being able to lift the weight without it, but being able to lift it more safely with the belt. YMMV.

As for me personally, I only use it on a portion of my lifts.
    Last edited by blues; 05-27-2019 at 12:37 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

At the end of the day, do you know what a guy that can 400 pounds with a belt but can't squat 400 without a belt is? A strong son of a bitch.

For the average person, being good at an exercise amounts to little more than being good at an exercise. If you're squatting to be good at squats, it doesn't matter when you use a belt. If you're squatting for some ostensible "functional" purpose, then the ability to brace your core under load is more important than the squat itself. At the end of the day, squatting for the purpose of developing core strength and stability is just dumb, so it doesn't matter when you use a belt.

I don't do much in the way of relatively heavy squatting. When I do, I wear a belt. If I generate a lot of intra-abdominal pressure without a belt I will have a raging headache at the end of the day, which I'm sure has something to do with spiking my blood pressure to stupid levels. I can brace against a belt and for whatever reason not get the headaches.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Eddie Hall has a good discussion about using belts. He did not like using a belt going up to strongman comp because lifting belt less built him the strongest core possible. Training with a belt all the time is like training with a crutch. Unless you have a real medical condition.

I know this sounds corny. But pay attention to what your body is telling you. Make sure you are doing your part on form and breathing/bracing. You may not need a belt at all until you really start pressing heavy weight and form gets broken down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I don’t use belts, mainly because I’m ignorant of them. The same is true for straps and chalk.

I probably should invest in learning how to use them.

While they may be crutches, the biggest guys I see at the gym use them.

Right now I’m sitting here debating if I want to go do 265 x 20. My work place has its own gym, so it would just be a quick pop in and get it done thing. I just realllllyyyy don’t want to do it.

Site Supporter
    Barbell Medicine on belt use:

There is also a chapter on Gear in the Starting Strength book where Mark Rippetoe explains his reasoning for wearing a belt.
    Last edited by Guinnessman; 05-28-2019 at 07:32 AM.

User Tag List