Page 4 of 173 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Sitting here drinking a protein smoothie, trying to gin up the motivation to go into the gym and swing some 12lb dumbells around. Rotator cuff injuries suck. I curse myself for even thinking that way when there are warriors out there who crush it every day with far worse injuries than I have.

Take the pre-workout, make the music loud. I'm gonna Jane Fonda those tiny weights to death.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    My considerations in this regard are biased by what I do. I am a doc who sees a lot of older, old, and frankly very old folks with at least heart diseases, and often times more than heart disease. Within this group, I have a quite large cohort of people who are in their mid or late 80s or early 90s and who simply kick ass. These are the people who are/were in such a good shape that when their heart attacks happened, valves failed and electricity stopped running we went a full court press (try that in socialized medicine) and they not only survived, they regained a complete and normal function. In other words, these are the people who never lost their physical dignity to age and disease, who remain able bodied and enjoy their life literally until they drop dead. When I see a patient like that, I always ask what they did for themselves lifestyle and fitness wise that kept them so strong for decades.

Most never smoked; those who did quit early in life. Almost no one followed any specific diet but none of them is overweight; most are normal weight or just slightly above. Nobody worked nights, sucks for me. Every single one maintained a high aerobic capacity, either because of physical work or aerobic exercises. This became a way of life for them, nearly daily aerobic efforts. This implies that almost all of them managed to preserve their joints. Not a single one was a weightlifter but almost every man did some strength training or work to maintain a healthy muscle mass.

What I do for myself is an emulation of these remarkable folks. I try to go gym 7 days a week. "Try" is a key word. Sometimes it is 7, and sometimes it is none, but I'd imagine the average is 5. I try to alternate lifting and cardio, shooting for 120-150 minutes of aerobic exercise weekly. After all, my own professional society recommends 150 a week. I try to preferentially do non-impact cardio (swimming) over impact (running) for joint health. When I do cardio, I don't care about distance or speed, I care about uninterrupted time spent in my target heart rate range.
    When I lift, the last thing I am interested is muscle mass gain. I want muscle mass preservation, muscle strength, joint safety and range of motion.

I agree on creatine. I do use a bunch of protein but that's pretty much muscle mass preservation at my age. I try hard to cut crappy food out of my diet. I don't claim much science behind my approach, it is just an observational data.
    Regarding nights, how much different are the health effects of working evenings (3rd shift 4-12) vs midnights ( 1st shift 12-8) ?

I'm 58. I have been working out consistently (not more than a week or two layoff for illness or something) since about age 14 or so. At an original height of 5' 11" but lately sinking to 5' 10" my weight was 155-160 in largely distance running eras but in the last 25 years or so I put more emphasis on weights and have generally weighed about 165 most of that time. My wife and I have long been nutrition theory fetishists and with an increasingly strict "non-inflammatory, gluten free, Paleo diet delivered to my dinner table in the last couple of years, I was going lite on the total calories and was down to near 160 last year and didn't feel as healthy.
    This year I upped the protein and while staying Paleo worked harder at more of it (still a % of cheat room for beer) and taking my sons advice to return to squatting and deadlifting I have leveled out at 175 lbs since Summer. I think the aging slowing metabolism actually helped me gain weight finally.

I feel better and I'm much stronger albeit not squat/deadlift strong by strong people standards. So I work out on ave 5 days a week with a mix of mostly weights and some moderate cardio.

Work sets of back squats are at 205 presently, and pulling 235 off the floor for reps and some good weighted pullups. The weight work outs are all based around major compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, pullups/chin-ups, free weight pressing. Hardly ever do anything like curls and triceps work. Very rarely. Then toes to bar pikes and windshield wipers for ab/core. I've thrown in some of Pat Mac's rotational twisting stuff this year too. Exactly like those excercises I used to train the household wrestler and power hitter with years ago.

I log sets/reps/weights in a notebook all the time.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    I'm 6'0 and hover around 225, mostly doing grappling / striking supplemented with a lot of (slower-paced) mountain biking and hiking that I do with my small kids. No weights at all and am considering getting back into it to build strength. I have some fat to lose for sure, was not blessed with a super metabolism.

I'd like to get down to 205 consistently and build strength. Will incorporating creatine for strength building purposes make it hard to lose weight?
    I don't believe so. The big area your going to lose/gain weight in is nutrition. The creatine, protein, and glutamine is all about recovery/efficency for me. The area that I focus on if I am bulking or cutting is nutrition. The only healthy way to gain weight/lose weight is by either taking in more calories then you burn or burning more calories then your taking in. I know a friend that changed his diet to a strict one (paleo basically) and recorded calories. He lost weight really fast that way because he was taking in less calories then he thought needed/took in before and burning off more in the gym

-Aesthetics are not invalid impetus, but that's going to take on less importance at different points in your life. Don't do anything stupid in the short term that's going to have long term consequences. The whole "whatever it takes" mindset is pretty common amongst highly motivated individuals, but it can bite you in the ass, big time.

Agreed.I worked with a guy who was a local bodybuilding celeb.

Just after his 28th birthday he had a heart attack. All the progress he made lifting and taking ephedrine (spelling?) was erased in an instant. When he recovered it was back to square one, with a $100,000+ medical bill to boot.

I've met lot of guys with that mindset, trying to become The Rock overnight and all . I want to tell them that women are more impressed with a prime credit score and a job then they are big muscles.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    -Aesthetics are not invalid impetus, but that's going to take on less importance at different points in your life. Don't do anything stupid in the short term that's going to have long term consequences. The whole "whatever it takes" mindset is pretty common amongst highly motivated individuals, but it can bite you in the ass, big time.

Agreed.I worked with a guy who was a local bodybuilding celeb.

Just after his 28th birthday he had a heart attack. All the progress he made lifting and taking ephedrine (spelling?) was erased in an instant. When he recovered it was back to square one, with a $100,000+ medical bill to boot.

I've met lot of guys with that mindset, trying to become The Rock overnight and all . I want to tell them that women are more impressed with a prime credit score and a job then they are big muscles.
    I think thats where the balance needs to come in. Working out has become an outlet for strss for me and a healthy hobby you could call it. That is why I avoid a lot of lifts that have a tendency to infure the person doing it. There is a guy that goes to the gym I go to and there is no way this guy isn't on something but when I asked him he said "just protein and coffee". I don't believe him and its none of my business but I worry about his overall health.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I think thats where the balance needs to come in. Working out has become an outlet for strss for me and a healthy hobby you could call it. That is why I avoid a lot of lifts that have a tendency to infure the person doing it. There is a guy that goes to the gym I go to and there is no way this guy isn't on something but when I asked him he said "just protein and coffee". I don't believe him and its none of my business but I worry about his overall health.
    I'm more concerned with the guys who do curls in the squat rack, lounge on equipment and take 15 selfies while other people are trying to exercise.

There's a place for people like that, and it's called Planet Fitness.

Last edited by Kyle Reese; 10-08-2015 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    I'm more concerned with the guys who do curls in the squat rack, lounge on equipment and take 15 selfies while other people are trying to exercise.
    do you even lift bro?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Usually alternate powerlifting days with grappling days, either wrestling or BJJ. Looking to hit 300, 400, and 500 on bench, squat and deadlift respectively by the time I'm 50. Less than 100 lbs to go on each lift and 2.5 years to do it in!
    I'm always amazed at guys that are as strong as you are. I know you talked about doing a summary of your programming over on your forum. Have you had time to put that together yet? I'm just a few years younger than you are and I'm losing strength a lot more quickly than I thought possible. I'm 72" and 185 lbs. best squat ever was 245 and that was a few years ago.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I'm always amazed at guys that are as strong as you are. I know you talked about doing a summary of your programming over on your forum. Have you had time to put that together yet? I'm just a few years younger than you are and I'm losing strength a lot more quickly than I thought possible. I'm 72" and 185 lbs. best squat ever was 245 and that was a few years ago.
    Genetics man. Fast twitchers. My son's fire support NCO on his deployment weighed about 175/180 and would do weighted chins for reps with 135 hanging from his waist. I saw Craig years ago at Given's place teaching in a seminar and he ain't THAT big. So those weights he is pushing are pretty BA.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List