Page 126 of 175 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1749

Thread: Weight Lifting

Site Supporter
    I need to be more consistent with KB work. What I may suggest is to be careful not to do too much too soon, especially if your form is still in it's fledgling stages like mine.

I use the 55lb bell for swings (still just doing 2 handed) and 35lb for Turkish get ups.

I strained my left shoulder trying to do a TGU with the 55lb bell when I should have just stayed on the 35 pounder for a while longer. It took some time to recover, but for BJJ, I've found the Simple and Sinister program to be pretty decent.

I've been looking for some other programs though just to see if I can get a little stronger or add a few other useful lifts.

I'm not really a big muscular guy and for me, it's all about having the gas to keep boxing/wrestling/grappling, but a little extra explosiveness and a little more of that "grappler strength" could come in handy and I've heard tell KB training is a good way to do that.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

455x5 tonight

Then rows then shrugs. Now it's time to go home. It's been a busy night.

Nobody's lifting anymore?

Deadlifts last night. 4 mile run before work, then benching after work tonight.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

New hire on FTO. Early in to work, late out. Incident Commander on a pretty good multiple car fatal crash. Tons of stress. I am trying to get some in, but sleep is taking precidence. This week I coached my boy on KB presses, swings, TGUs. It was about half my usual workload.

pat

Just started again last week after about 4 mos off. Should be able to reliably stick with it this time. Doing Starting Strength, started it over. Using the app. Good to be be back.

Gotta mention this first: you're a goddamn beast, kudos buddy.

I've not stopped lifting, but I've been plagued with the stumbling block of a pulled a tendon under my right glute. A couple months ago, I spent 3+ hours doing fill/haul/empty/repeat with wheelbarrows of wet sand...and yes, it was a cold, wet day and yes, dammit, it was uphill from the sand pile to my waiting truck bed.

As I am wont to do, I treated the whole thing like a work out. I swapped power sides with each trip for the filling/emptying and looked at each haul as a heavy farmers carry combined with a light-medium sled push, really tried to keep my form. The path through the wet yard and up the hill couldn't be varied, though, and I know it was the dead start up from the bottom of the wet grass hill that made the tendon called bs.

The result left my back very vulnerable, to the point that squats, rows and deadlifts were all but off the table, so I've almost exclusively done bench and overhead press. At 53AF, it still took me a bit to acknowledge that the issue wasn't going to fix itself and a bit more time for a wonderful chiropractor to release the tendon and teach me the stretches and rolling I continue to do.

Over the last 2 weeks, I've been able to do every lift I've tried, so I, too, am restarting SL 5x5 tomorrow morning (damn, but I love their phone ap). I've set the loads much lighter than what I can actually lift and will be treating the first 3-4 weeks as more physical therapy than genuine strength building.

I am, just finished my third month of 5/3/1. This month I'm doing "Return of Dr.Jacked" from pen and paper strength app. Then its back to 5/3/1 for another 3 months and then another one month program. I find this keeps my interested and I am excited to try different stuff. 5/3/1 is a great program because I can mess with the accessory work anyway I want. I am thinking of doing the "Boring but big" for my first month back. Basically you do the main lift scheme for the week (first week is 5 reps at 65, 75, and 85% of 1rm) and then 5x10 at 60% of squats.

That's awesome! I'm still working to get 455 for a single. Just barely missed it last week.

I've been slacking way too hard lately, to be honest. Long days at work, and either sleep or time with the lady has to get cut into to work out, and those don't have give right now.

Today was an easy reset, just to get moving. My usual spot outside is covered in several inches of snow, so I grabbed the kettlebells inside the kitchen. 5 circuits of 10 on floor press, kettlebell front squat, and bent over rows. Well, that was the idea. By the 3rd go round, it turned out to be 15 reps, because I sometimes have a moderation.

This may be because I'm so hamstring dominant, but for anyone else playing with kettlebells ( @UNM1136 ), I always find the rack position with an upright back to be a smoker, in a great way, vs. a goblet squat. Similar to how a front squat always just feels way tougher to me than a back or Zercher squat with the barbell. I do them with double bells, even uneven, or even with just one. Goblet squats are great for working on your mobility, and getting out of the whole on the bottom, but the racked squats are a fun alternative.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

User Tag List