Page 110 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1749

Thread: Weight Lifting

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Waster liquid but on top of that it can increase infamattion, makes dementia more likely, and dehydrates you
    I know I need to quit it but I don’t smoke, drink zero alcohol, don’t eat lots of sweets, eat lots of junk, etc. It’s my vice.

Even though I do drink a lot of diet soda, I do drink a gallon or more of water a day.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I know I need to quit it but I don’t smoke, drink zero alcohol, don’t eat lots of sweets, eat lots of junk, etc. It’s my vice.

Even though I do drink a lot of diet soda, I do drink a gallon or more of water a day.
    So for you it may be ok. For me anything to do with inflammation is bad news bears

Site Supporter
    What are people's thoughts on creatine use and value and what brands to look for if it is worth using? I'm 41, have the best lifting situation and routine I've ever had and want to do everything possible to get the most out of it.
    The only time that I've used creatine before was for six months or so when I was 16-17ish. I really didn't know anything about it except that some guy at the gym recommended it and later reading led me to believe that I likely pissed most of it away, literally.

Suggestions on any other supplements, protein mixes, etc are also appreciated.

@breakingtime91, if you would rather me start a dedicated thread to ask these questions I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashpad View Post
    What are people's thoughts on creatine use and value and what brands to look for if it is worth using? I'm 41, have the best lifting situation and routine I've ever had and want to do everything possible to get the most out of it.
    The only time that I've used creatine before was for six months or so when I was 16-17ish. I really didn't know anything about it except that some guy at the gym recommended it and later reading led me to believe that I likely pissed most of it away, literally.

Suggestions on any other supplements, protein mixes, etc are also appreciated.

@breakingtime91, if you would rather me start a dedicated thread to ask these questions I will.
    You're good man! I took creatine for years. I have not seen a measureable difference from when I stopped. If you eat enough meat, you will get enough creatine naturally. Take a good vitamin, get blood work, and go from there.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashpad View Post
    What are people's thoughts on creatine use and value and what brands to look for if it is worth using?
    The nutrition experts I pay attention to tend to shrug when it comes to creatine: certainly doesn't hurt, but nothing game changing. It may be most useful when attempting to preserve muscle mass during a cut.

Pick something simple if you want to try it: ~ 5g of creatine monohydrate per serving is what legit brands will usually offer. Any additional ingredients are probably voodoo.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/creatine/

Summary: scientifically proven to work on all but a small minority, the difference is not huge, but helps. Doesn't make you stronger, but helps will sustaining effort short term (allowing more reps per set). No evidence it causes hair loss, which is the boogeyman when discussing it. No need to really front load it, IMO: that just increases the likelihood of gastric distress for no real reason. Just take 3-6 g every day or so, whenever you want. For most people, it causes an initial water weight gain of a few pounds in the muscles.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I never really post in here because I have a pretty on-again-off-again relationship with lifting. Last year I did hit my goals of bench/squat/deadlift 225-315-405, but I haven't lifted much since. But I've been leaning out a bit and am down to around 210 which is about right for me.

What I have been doing, is pull-ups, every time I take my kid to the park. There's a really perfect neutral-grip spot and I find that a lot easier on my wrists and elbows than overhand, and my squat cage is behind my boat project so it's too hard to reach.

So as long as he's right there giving me some cover for being a weirdo on a playground doing pull-ups, I'll knock off a few. I am trying to get to sets of 12, uninterrupted, no touching the ground. I can't do that for more than about 6 at the moment, so I'll do six strict ones, then pause for a sec, get another three, and pause, and go for a couple more, and usually pause for a sec and grind out the 12th.

The sets get progressively worse, of course, and by the fourth set I'm basically doing negatives for the last six. But still, it's a fair bit of volume on pull ups, like yesterday I did 54 of them, and I feel pretty good about it. But I'm really wanting to get to a point where I can do 4x12, and not touch the ground for the whole set each time.

But I think that's not very far off, because when I started doing this, I was doing pretty terrible, jump-assisted, kippy pull ups just to get five. And I'd do three sets of five, and feel like I got worked pretty hard. Now, the first set is pretty freaking strict, aside from letting my heels touch the ground between reps (a foot or so forward so I can take a bit of weight off, but I can't trick myself and jump without knowing it).

Anyway I think another month and I'll really be where I want to be. I get super bored lifting weights so this is nice for me - it's really quick, it's a complex movement, and it's demanding.

My ultimate goal is to set up a neutral grip bar at my place about 8' off the ground, and I want to start doing burpee-pull ups where each rep is a burpee, and the jump ends with grabbing the bar and doing a pull up. So there you go, now that I have publicly stated the goal, in theory, I'm more likely to follow through on it.

*I know a one-exercise workout is dumb and I'll go back to doing other stuff, this is just a thing I'm into at the moment.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

https://armstrongpullupprogram.com/
    Maple Syrup Actual,I recently read about this,I haven't tried it but it does look interesting.Good Luck.

I like the incorporation of burpees. Good idea.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 08-16-2021 at 05:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    Gym report from today.

Quick warm up then squatted 300 for 10 reps.

Moved to bench and hit 240 (my new PR). Dropped down and hit 135 for 23 reps.

Rack pulled up to 410

Bi and tri work.

Back in the gym for deadlifts this evening.

Started to pull 405, got it 60% of the way there, considered keeping the fight up to get it, but all of a sudden I thought I was about to experience a uhhhhh.....well “evacuation” of the bowels.

So I’m finishing off with 225 for a few reps.

Good, but long day.

User Tag List