Page 175 of 175 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175
Results 1,741 to 1,749 of 1749

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    I want to be a kb guy, I really do. I've started with them so many times and never stick with it. I know it's a mental thing, hell, it's a discipline thing. I see the benefits, but I don't enjoy the workouts like I do lifting. I'll vow to do only kb's, pushups & bodyweight squats for 30 days and go right back to the barbell by the 3rd or 4th day.
    Maybe something like Dan John's 10K Swing challenge could be a fun jumpstart.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

I want to be a kb guy, I really do. I've started with them so many times and never stick with it. I know it's a mental thing, hell, it's a discipline thing. I see the benefits, but I don't enjoy the workouts like I do lifting. I'll vow to do only kb's, pushups & bodyweight squats for 30 days and go right back to the barbell by the 3rd or 4th day.
    Simple and sinister was my gateway drug, I haven’t been do swings very often lately. Have mostly moved into a PPL scheme with the KBs. But I like the structure and end goal S&S provided initially.

Funny enough after 6 years I am hearing the call back to the barbell. I’m considering getting a rack setup, we’ll see.

Two Mini-milestones

Several weeks ago I had vowed to transition my bench press from short stroke cheater reps to full range of motion. I had worked up to 2x10/135 lbs. with the cheaters. Dropped the weight down and gradually increased the weight; yesterday was able to do two sets to failure, 8 and 7 reps, with 130 lbs full range of motion. As an added bonus my setup has much improved and I'm getting much more out of my back at the bottom so the overall lift is steadier even as I approach failure. Followed up with dumbbell press, 3x10 with 50 lb. dumbbells, a PR of sorts. I never realized how much technique comes into these lifts: grip width, how to engage the hands on the bars. driving with the legs, etc. I'll be interested in seeing how close I can get to a body weight (185 lbs.) press for reps.

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Several weeks ago I had vowed to transition my bench press from short stroke cheater reps to full range of motion. I had worked up to 2x10/135 lbs. with the cheaters. Dropped the weight down and gradually increased the weight; yesterday was able to do two sets to failure, 8 and 7 reps, with 130 lbs full range of motion. As an added bonus my setup has much improved and I'm getting much more out of my back at the bottom so the overall lift is steadier even as I approach failure. Followed up with dumbbell press, 3x10 with 50 lb. dumbbells, a PR of sorts. I never realized how much technique comes into these lifts: grip width, how to engage the hands on the bars. driving with the legs, etc. I'll be interested in seeing how close I can get to a body weight (185 lbs.) press for reps.
    Sometimes when I find I'm struggling with a particular lift, I go look at the guides on Strong Lifts. It's not perfect, and there are other cues that can help but it never hurts me to look at it again.

https://stronglifts.com/bench-press/

It's fairly exhaustive, and is geared toward a strength goal as opposed to biggest weight lifted goal, or body building style goal.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Sometimes when I find I'm struggling with a particular lift, I go look at the guides on Strong Lifts. It's not perfect, and there are other cues that can help but it never hurts me to look at it again.

https://stronglifts.com/bench-press/

It's fairly exhaustive, and is geared toward a strength goal as opposed to biggest weight lifted goal, or body building style goal.
    Damn this is pretty useful. The overhead press is my biggest hurdle. I love it, but it has been the cause of some shoulder pain, and it's likely because I haven't been shrugging up at the top of the lift.

Much thanks!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Damn this is pretty useful. The overhead press is my biggest hurdle. I love it, but it has been the cause of some shoulder pain, and it's likely because I haven't been shrugging up at the top of the lift.

Much thanks!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    The biggest mistake I see folks generally make is either keeping the bar too far front or not "getting through the window" quick enough. The bar for most folks should almost clip your nose, and once it clears your forehead, your head goes forward through the space, to give you a similar position to the end of an Olympic snatch. Of course, experiment with different hand widths, too. I had to adopt a grip that was slightly less strong for me lately, but it doesn't aggravate the crap out of the beat up shoulders.

I also think if you have kettlebells handy, some practice pressing them can be helpful in getting your shoulder to stabilize itself a little better. It's a different movement, but it plays into it, the same way that most people's back squat helps their dead.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Why put yourself in a window? Do it all!

https://youtu.be/EvGzwnxEB0c?si=84SPChIVL3J_lt_w

Im big into Calisthenics, very fun. This dude is 60 and a beast!

https://youtube.com/shorts/wWR8Gr0PO...NhY0O7jI7F4q0p

Did a 300-pound flat bench Monday night ...my Wife messed up the video she got it going up halfway than the last part of me racking the weight.
    I was not going to do it again my left elbow was barking...

Did a lot of floor presses... band work and Larsen press.
    Close grip and just laterals for shoulders for 7 weeks.

I deadlifted on the smith machine for 2 weeks than with free weight for a week ... also did a lot of dumbbell stiff legged dead lifts and leg press.

Keep reading about connection between grip strength and biological age.

At 71 ... I still have a good grip.

Lift Heavy to Live Long? New Study Links Strength and Biological Age
    https://www.lifeextension.com/news/a...strength-aging

User Tag List