Page 84 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    At some point, a lack of conditioning WILL catch up to you. You can lift more if you don’t suck wind for 5 minutes after a heavy set. I’m not talking muscle recovery, but a lack of oxygen during the lift. It’s something a lot of new lifters run into a lot. I was there.

I got through it the first time by using lighter weight Klokovs (~135lbs) done fast as HIIT. Now that I’m doing more activities that require longer durations of aerobic work, I’ve added intrval jogging on a 15 degree incline for 10-20 min post lifting.

Site Supporter
    This is a link to the Barbell Medicine beginner template: https://www.barbellmedicine.com/shop...nner-template/

It covers strength, conditioning, and optional accessory work.

Despite what Rippetoe and his crew say about conditioning, I would factor conditioning and cardio into a program for general health and well-being. If I sacrifice strength for better overall health, that’s a trade off I can live with.

Plus, if you decide to do a training program that involves sub maximal weights with lots of sets and reps, you will need the conditioning to help with shorter rest times.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    At some point, a lack of conditioning WILL catch up to you. You can lift more if you don’t suck wind for 5 minutes after a heavy set. I’m not talking muscle recovery, but a lack of oxygen during the lift. It’s something a lot of new lifters run into a lot. I was there.

I got through it the first time by using lighter weight Klokovs (~135lbs) done fast as HIIT. Now that I’m doing more activities that require longer durations of aerobic work, I’ve added intrval jogging on a 15 degree incline for 10-20 min post lifting.
    This is coming from one of Rip's minions on Rip's website. Low bar back squats and conventional deadlifts are the answer to everything.

It's a bad ripoff of Matt Wenning's material.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

been awhile. I have continued to work out but because my divorce its been hit or miss. I am deep into "fill out the sweatshirt" from pen and paper app. That combined with creatine, large water intake, and eating well I am feeling great.

Been doing Tactical Barbell program for a few months now. My lifts have gone up faster than I expected and I have gained 15lbs. Not all of that is muscle obviously but Im happy with the progress.

If anyone is looking for a simple lifting program that also stresses the importance of conditioning, take a look at it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    If it is your adductor magnus, I doubt you have a squatting problem. The clue being that you went hiking, then you squatted, then you had a problem. It doesn't sound like you had previous problems just squatting. Squatting might be the straw the camels back, but hiking was the more likely the initial overload.

Shitty stick figure time.

Attachment 47471

If you look up hip abduction and adduction, you get some useless picture like 1) where it shows someone doing scissors kicks.
    What your hip abductors and adductors do in their primary function is shift your hips left and right like 2). The do this by you aBductors pulling the outside of your knee up towards the hip and the aDductors work by pulling the inside of your knee towards you taint like 3). If you have a hip shift like 4) that could be a joint mobility issue or an imbalance in the medial glutes. Muscle can pull (contract) and resist pulling (elongation), they never push. As you lower yourself in the squat your aBductors, mainly the medial glutes, need to resist elongation at the same rate, otherwise one side collapses and the aDductor has to pull to shift your hips back under center. (If you have the knee dip/knee valgus/stanky legs when you squat that's you aDductors doing on the stability work on the hips with no help from the glutes. They should be about equally sore.)

For you adductor to hurt from squatting, it most likely had to do with it pulling in place of a weak glute. If you didn't have problems in the past, I don't think you need to worry about in the future. Let it heal and don't squat after hiking.

Look at 5), keep this in mind about hiking. If you're on uneven ground and you don't want you hips to shift to the left, because you head would go to the right, you'd fall to your right and look like a fucking idiot. Muscles can only pull or resist pulling with the foot planted on the ground. Your right adductors do all the work pulling. If you out hiking, your adductors will do a lot of work on uneven terrain.

Thanks for this. Quality info. Also thank you for the clarification and correction about the muscle language I used.

I am pretty much back to normal now. Had a good squat session today.

I agree that conditioning is important, but the killer hike I did was made easier by deadlifting and squatting. If you do hi rep medium weight squats and dead lifts, you will have a cardio/conditioning session you will not forget. Even light weight hi rep with enough intensity is killer. During my hike I was carrying a decent amount of weight and going up a rocky steep incline for a couple of hours. 1-2 weeks before the hike I did some weighted lunges, but it was the squats and deadlifts that helped the most. Conditioning is important, but you can get a decent amount from just lifting weights in my opinion.

I don't do a lot of curls, but I do some. Last Saturday just to get a quick workout in, and do something different, I did drop set curls. Started with 40 pound dumbbells and worked my way down to 5 pound dumbbells, including all the in between weights i.e. 32.5. My rule was I had to do +1 rep each time I dropped down and rest very little if any. Finished with 24 reps on the 5 pound dumbbells. The reps were not all pretty, but my arms felt smoked and I felt it well after the workout.

Site Supporter
    Since this is a forum of enabling, Titan Fitness has their SSB on sale here: https://www.titan.fitness/strength/b...v2/430063.html

Most of the reviews I have read are favorable, and I look forward to trying this bar out.

Site Supporter

Machiine configuration

I used to lift free weights but some cardiac problems and shoulder injuries moved me to use the circuit machines and more reps with lighter weights. So, I'll go around the various ones and do about 75 lbs. and 20 to 30 reps on each about three times a week. Recently I switched gyms when I moved. The older gyms machines were static. You sat there and pulled and pushed. The new gym, you sit down and when you lift the weights, the whole seat and you move up and down and back and forth, depending on the specifics.

Since I have little expertise, I was wondering about the differences and reasons for them in the machines.

Site Supporter
    Wednesday I did OHP and Squats.

Yesterday I did bench , working my way up to 3x3 of 205. My bench has been stuck at 235 for years.

Then I deadlifted. Worked my way up to 355 pretty quickly and I then dropped down and did one set of 225 for 23 reps.

Regarding bench. Would going to dumbbell press for a while or adding it into the mix help increase my bench numbers?

Part of the reason I believe my bench has stagnated is that I do not have a spotter.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Wednesday I did OHP and Squats.

Yesterday I did bench , working my way up to 3x3 of 205. My bench has been stuck at 235 for years.

Then I deadlifted. Worked my way up to 355 pretty quickly and I then dropped down and did one set of 225 for 23 reps.

Regarding bench. Would going to dumbbell press for a while or adding it into the mix help increase my bench numbers?

Part of the reason I believe my bench has stagnated is that I do not have a spotter.
    Close grip bench presses
    Bands/chains
    Paused bench presses
    Floor presses
    Using proper leg drive setup on bench
    Bent over rows at high weight

These all help with upping your bench, mix in varying presses instead of your usual bench day. Also try to mix in bent over rows on bench day.

1rm it helps to have spotter, but don’t even worry about that until you are adding more weight with higher reps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List